Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replace Full HeadLamp?

Options
  • 20-10-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi

Driving a Punto and I smashed the glass in my passenger side headlamp. All the lights, bulbs etc are still working fine but I've been told that I have to replace the full headlamp. Is there no way just to replace the glass?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No. Headlights are essentially sealed at the front - I assume it's to prevent rain and other crap getting in. Since your headlights are at the front of a fast-moving vehicle, they take a lot of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

It is actually possible to put on new glass. But I wouldn't recommend it unless the car is a sh1tter and you're totally poverty stricken.... like me :D I take it this is the Mk2 punto with the semi UV lights in the front? IF so it might be worth trying the below as long as you can get replacement glass.

To break down the glue/sealant that holds the remainder of the glass in you would need to remove the headlight and wrap the headlight in tinfoil, only exposing the glue. Then place it in an oven for a few minutes. This will weaken the glue as the heat softens it and you can remove the remainder of the glass.

Replace it with your new glass then and see if you have to add more sealant to ensure a good tight seal. You don't want water in there as the headlight will fog up and you will have to repeat this whole procedure 1 month down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Give Traynors up North a shout - i got a full headlamp for £28stg

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, try a breakers yard, you should be able to pick up the whole light unit from a scrapped Punto relatively cheap there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I should have been clearer in my reply - I bought a NEW original equipment Magnetti Marelli headlamp, in a box for £28. Repeat, not a recovered unit!! I nearly fainted... Traynors rocks.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Are these the Traynors you are talking about http://www.traynors.co.uk/??

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Yes that's them. Traynors are very good and quite cheap too. They deliver down to Dublin on Tuesdays and Thursdays around 9-10am-ish and stop off at various points. I tend to meet them at the Coachmans pub in Swords which is quite handy.

If you can get an OEM light so cheaply then go for it but I doubt it was one for a Mk2 but am open to correction. :)

Advertisement