Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of spikes do you prefer?

• 20-10-2005 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Personally I don't really see a difference, but i guess in really slippy conditions spikes are better than the american green saving cleats... Apart from that not much difference to me.. What do you prefer and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

css wrote:
    the american green saving cleats...
    I dont think they do, every trip or rotate your foot on a green in those babies?
    Its turf tearing time if you do.
    No better than spikes imo.
    and at least you dont slide down wet hills in spikes.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

All types seem to rip up greens but I would prefer to have something with a bit of grip during the winter - i.e. SPIKES!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

i agree spikes do rip up greens however there is alot of technology in spikes.
    you hit a ball with no shoes... its goes far then with shoes even further and then with spikes the furthest. so the bigger the spikes the further it goes.
    so if ur going to buy spikes get the biggest your club will allow you to use

cabla wrote:
    i agree spikes do rip up greens however there is alot of technology in spikes.
    you hit a ball with no shoes... its goes far then with shoes even further and then with spikes the furthest. so the bigger the spikes the further it goes.
    so if ur going to buy spikes get the biggest your club will allow you to use
    It goes "further" with spikes because you can swing harder and not need your natural balance as the spikes will keep you anchored more than bare feet would.

My point is that IMO softspikes do as much damage to the greens, unless you walk in a very careful up and down motion the twising of your feet will rip up the green.
    Also if you need to walk down a wet slope you are screwed.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

GreeBo wrote:
    It goes "further" with spikes because you can swing harder and not need your natural balance as the spikes will keep you anchored more than bare feet would.

My point is that IMO softspikes do as much damage to the greens, unless you walk in a very careful up and down motion the twising of your feet will rip up the green.
    Also if you need to walk down a wet slope you are screwed.

have to disagree here, if it was true then clubs wouldn't be banning spikes, they do it because spikes leave holes in the greens whereas softspike leave indentations which recover in minutes. never seen anybody rip the green wearing softspike either :confused:

never slipped wearing softspikes, so don't know where the wet slope
    thing comes in.

• Advertisement

daveym wrote:
    they do it because spikes leave holes in the greens whereas softspike leave indentations which recover in minutes.
    Tiny holes in a green are not a problem, they close within the hour and are good for the green.
    daveym wrote:
    never seen anybody rip the green wearing softspike either :confused:
    If you twist your foot in softspikes they cause at least as much damage as spikes do. General walking in either doesnt cause any problems on the greens, why do you think they let pros use spikes?
    daveym wrote:
    never slipped wearing softspikes, so don't know where the wet slope thing comes in.
    They do not grip the ground as well as spikes do so in wet conditions you can slide down a hill in them, they clog up and are pretty much useless after about 5 holes.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tiny holes aren't a problem? can you not admit that many clubs man metal spikes for a good reason? not just for the sake of it. Pros are allowed use metal spikes because some insist they need them, but over 80% of pros use softspikes now so clearly there is no problem with softspike.

as for slipping, I've been playing a long time and have never seen anyone slip wearing them....

check out google for loads of studies and more info such as:
    http://turf.lib.msu.edu/2000s/2003/030907.pdf

daveym wrote:
    tiny holes aren't a problem?
    Well at this time of year especially most greens spend a lot of time being pole-forked anyway, usually with a diameter core much wider than a spike would create, and they dont cause problems.
    daveym wrote:
    can you not admit that many clubs man metal spikes for a good reason? not just for the sake of it.
    Bandwagon?
    daveym wrote:
    over 80% of pros use softspikes now so clearly there is no problem with softspike.
    Pros are on very manicured courses and dont play in the conditions that we do.
    daveym wrote:
    as for slipping, I've been playing a long time and have never seen anyone slip wearing them....
    Well I have and heard about plenty more.
    daveym wrote:
    check out google for loads of studies and more info such as:
    http://turf.lib.msu.edu/2000s/2003/030907.pdf
    Interesting, but I think unless you use a rotating motion to compare the worst case scenario then you are only fooling yourself. If everyone walked in an up and down motion then soft-spikes would be better, but they dont.

Advertisement