Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big eircom broadband outage today

• 20-10-2005 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

In north dublin. Seems like the biggest outage I've seen in the last couple of years. Someone suggested to me it was everyone 1ith an 01-8xxxxxx number. Any truth to that ? What happened and how long was it down for ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah it was down for me for a few hours today, on Esat BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I had a stupid converstation with Eircom about this. They told me about their outage, but weren't going to commit to saying that they were at fault for my internet connection not working. They were actually suggesting that it may have merely been that things had developed a fault on my end at the same time that their outage happened...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Coolock and Balbriggan and Skerries were all out anyway. I got a real mad story from an Eircom guy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Praetorian wrote:
    Coolock and Balbriggan and Skerries were all out anyway. I got a real mad story from an Eircom guy...

... and it went a bit like what ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Was out for me in Malahide also.....damn shame as I was hoping my torrent would be finished when I got home from work too:D

Phoned Eircom, spoke to some guy who sounded like I'd woken him up from a long sleep. Asked him how long the outage was likely to be and he replied(and I quote exactly).."Uuuuh...Dunno"... and hung up on me. Customer service...don't ya love it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

BT handled it much better they had a message on their phone system immediately after the fault explaining that all 01-8 phone numbers were affected by a big fault. Well done for them, eircom sound their usual crappy self........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

m_stan wrote:
    ... and it went a bit like what ?

"We think a builder might have snapped one of the fibre links"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Praetorian wrote:
    "We think a builder might have snapped one of the fibre links"

has happened though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Calina wrote:
    has happened though.

Yep, several months ago a private contractor doing something in Santry cut through the main Eircom trunk cable in Santry with a JSB, took out the whole of North Co. Dublin till the following day (phone and internet). There was murder over it, business losing millions etc...

Happily though my BB was back today when I got home from work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

dancin wrote:
    Yep, several months ago a private contractor doing something in Santry cut through the main Eircom trunk cable in Santry with a JSB, took out the whole of North Co. Dublin till the following day (phone and internet). There was murder over it, business losing millions etc...

Happily though my BB was back today when I got home from work...

haha ..did that really happen?

i'd **** myself laughing so much if i did that

pure class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

dancin wrote:
    I run an Internet Café on the Northside... I'm pretty sure I would have noticed a failure like this if it had happened before. But I've never seen anything as bad as yesterdays outage. My server didn't pick up it's IP address properly either this morning... I had to spend ages messing around with PPPoE settings... bleh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

It's a pity eircon didn't have the intelligence to build redundancy into their fibre netwrok, so if one line got cut everything would be re-routed down another.

Advertisement