Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Astronomy Shop for Dublin?

Options
  • 20-10-2005 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else heard about a new Astronomy shop to open in the City Centre for Christmas. I heard its a UK outfit expanding into Ireland.

Anyone else heard anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hmm, haven't heard, but would be nice to have somewhere within easy reach.
    Then again, is there really a market here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Well I'll tell ya, it'll provide good competition against Astronomy Ireland's shop! For too long they have had overpriced items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There is competition for AI. Andy McCrea is very competitive. So are the lads in Rathmines but they don't seem to answer emails :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Yes, I must say Andy has given me great service to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Who is Andy McRae.
    Astronomy Ireland have outrageous prices alright.
    Hope this news about the new shop is true though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Newshound wrote:
    Who is Andy McRae.

Andy runs North Down Telescopes, http://www.mccreaa.freeserve.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Thanks for that albert.
    Looking at getting my son a tlescope for christmas.
    Had a look through an 8 inch dobsonian the other night but the planets seemed to move out of the field of view very very quickly. It was hard to ttrack them with the dobsonian. As soon as the shaking stopped the planet was gone again.
    It might have to be a computer tracking telescope that you dont have to touch once you get your object. I shudder to think of the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Newshound wrote:
    It might have to be a computer tracking telescope that you dont have to touch once you get your object. I shudder to think of the price

This thread here contains some advice that I got from Albert earlier this year regarding buying my first scope. To be honest I'm quite glad I took the advice as I'm learning the sky now instead of just pushing a button to GoTo.And the saving enabled me to get a bigger scope for my money.

As for the movement the speed the object move is more dependant on the magnification than the scope.The higher the magnification the smaller the field of view so the faster the objects appear to move. I got a 8" scope on an equatorial mount - with those you have fine adjustment knobs to track the objects easily. You can also motorise these cheaply - I put a dual-axis motor on mine last weekend- for auto-tracking without touching the scope itself.

That said - it's personal preference. When I know my way around the sky a little better in a few years I'll probably get a GoTo mount then.

Advertisement