Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6230i on Vodafone

• 20-10-2005 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Anybody know when the 6230i will be available on the Vodafone network??

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I asked that question in a vodafone shop last week and was told that it would be available in the next week or two :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It was available this week very briefly!

I asked Vodafone on a couple of occasions why they were so far behind O2 and Meteor in releasing the 6230i on their network and was told they were running their software tests.
    This week it appeared on the website so I popped down to Carphone Warehouse to pick one up (checked on the phone and was told they had loads in stock) in Liffey Valley. When I asked for it I was told they couldn't sell me one because they were being recalled due to... wait for it....software problems!
    Apparently the Vodafone Live! software is causing the phone to turn off. I wonder, during the months of testing, while O2 and Meteor were selling these phones by the truckload, did nobody think to turn one of them on and see if it stayed on?

Oh, and Vodafone have no idea when they will be selling them again.

Another pain in the @ss is that while they were selling them, they were charging €70 or so more than the other two networks for an equivalent price plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

by pure chance i went into the vodafone shop in cork on tuesday and they had one. i was delighted and bought one immediately. charged it up over night and within 2 mins of playing with it on wednesday morning, it started shutting down whenever i tried to do something. brought it back to the shop and he gave me a refund; said he couldn't sell me a new one as they'd been recalled.

good service from the shop, shame a worldwide company can't make a common as muck phone work on it's network though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

Personally I reckon these phones are dodgy anyway. I'm on my fourth now. I got my first one simfree about 6 months ago. It works fine until you put it in the carkit .. then screen goes all funny (although the phone still works) .. also sometimes it comes up 'accept phone as storage device' with an option to accept or reject, but you can't to do either, they only cure being to power off and on. I replaced it now 3 times and they all do the same thing. I've now accepted that they're just a ball of $hite.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

The 6230i for Vodafone is finally (in limited quantities) in the shops! The software is still the old problematic software and it has nothing to do with Nokia's sw, but is the sh*te Vodafone Live! stuff.

From what I gathered the story looks like this: Vodafone Ireland seemingly didn't want to sell the phone at all, but was in the end forced by customer demand to look into it. How much the "software problems" were delay tactics I don't know but I was close to leave Vodafone over this issue.

What outrages me is that Vodafone in all other countries in Europe can provide a working phone, but Vodafone Ireland can't.

Allegedly the phone still keeps switching itself off at times, but as software upgrades are free during warranty, I reckon I will eventually get a good and working phone.

v10's problems are recognised 6230i problems which - according to Nokia - were fixed early on. So, v10, maybe a software upgrade would have solved all the problems and maybe all other phones that you tried had the same early version of software on them?

My 6230i should arrive on Friday if all goes well and in case there is interest I will report back after a few tests. (I hope I won't have the same problems as Thomas!)

By the way, VOdafone told me that they are releasing the phones with the "faulty" software only because of customer pressure. Strange move, but think about this: According to Carphone Warehouse they have huge amounts of these phones in stock now. To change the software at this late stage means every phone has to be taken out of the shrink wrapped packaging has to be upgraded and needs to be packaged again. How likely is it that that will be done this side of Christmas? Maybe Vodafone has decided to sell them and to let the end-users upgrade them bit by bit??? I don't know, but it is all a bit strange.

Another "by the way": From what I have been told the price for business customers is now down to EUR 30!! A price that makes a lot more sense since O2 and Meteor are selling the same phone for EUR 29 with some of their contracts. Does that mean that non-business users can get it for cheap as well? Probably not! Is it worth staying with Vodafone and to pay a high price for the phone? I have my doubts!

--Hornet

• Advertisement
Advertisement