Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architectural Technology (self-taught)

Options
  • 20-10-2005 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭

I am thinking of doing architectural tech for the leaving in 2006. have the text book but need to know where to get list of projext topics? any advice would be great. It will be the only subject i'll be sitting next year. Are there any sample papers out there. i tried examinations.ie but only found the syllabus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

this is a leaving cert subject!? ****in hell I never knew that

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

This is the first I've heard of such a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Neither did I, how many years has it been on as a LC subject? I would have liked to do it if I knew about it as it would probably be fairly interesting and practical. I do Construction so they would go well together, although I don't know anything about it so Im just assuming that they would. I'd say you are really ****ing annoyed Funkstard since you want to study Architecture next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh thats bollocks alright

I presume you learn CAD & Draughting on the course? Some CAD skills would be great for my portfolio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=17216&ecategory=17313&language=EN

Nothing about it on the education.ie website...

Funkstard: You could as your TD teacher to show you the basics of CAD? Mine did, it's really not that difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Would I be right in saying that Architectural Technology is Construction? Think that is the name of my book(Architectural Technology) for Construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

eamoss wrote:
    Would I be right in saying that Architectural Technology is Construction? Think that is the name of my book(Architectural Technology) for Construction.
    Now that I think of it thats the book I use. I feel so stupid for not coping on to that before now.

As for the book itself its not that good because it doesnt cover each topic in enough detail and there is also lack of Diagrams. If you look at Q6 2001 part a in the exam papers you will see what I mean because if you look for the answers in the book there not all in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Architectural Technology is not a subject!!!

The Department have been talking about updating Construction Studies for the past decade, but only now have they been getting around to planning anything. The plan is to drop Construction for Arch. Tech., but that will not be happening for years yet - if they don't scrap it before then :rolleyes:

The Architectural Technology book has been introduced to bide time until the course is changed (if it ever will be), but as far as Construction Studies is concerned, it's absolutely rubbish. The "Construction Studies" book is slightly better (still hit-and-miss), but is out of print. Get that if you want to do construction for the leaving. (Make sure to get the papers and solutions - you can buy them by mail order or download them from examinations.ie. Those are really the best resource available).

I found this site last year (I'm repeating), and it's fairly good: http://homepage.tinet.ie/~abbeynet/construction1.htm

For Construction, there is no list of project topics like there is at junior cert. You can technically do anything - see a teacher for the (very general) official constraints. But you want to get started quickly so as to absolute-worst-case-scenario finish by Easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

The arch tech book has to be the worst book in the whole leaving cert. it aint an easy subject to take on yourself but if thats all your doing then it shouldnt be too bad. theres a couple of workbooks out there which are fairly good aswell.

Advertisement