Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it mandatory to have a Farmer's Letter?

Options
  • 20-10-2005 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Someone told me that you need to have a letter from a farmer giving you permission to shoot his land in order to get a Shotgun licence. Is this true or will being a member of a club suffice?
    I live in Dublin, am a member of Court Lough but Idon't know any farmers. Will this matter?
    Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you're a member of a clay pigeon club that should be sufficient. The farmer's permission is for where you're shooting on his land, not on a formal range.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

The local garda district go one further here - your expected to get new permission letters every year on renewal :eek:
    I'm joined the local gun club and the clay club which keeps them happy.

Go out for a walk and get chatting with some farmer - the odd balls are few and far between - and most will have no problem if you have insurance - tell them it's a formality and you most likely will never set foot in their land - they'll know the story anyway.
    A bottle of Powers at Christmas or after getting the letter off them and you'll be well sorted for years.
    All obvious stuff ;)
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

You just need proof that you have somewhere to use the gun if your shooting clays and not interesting in hunting the the club letter's fine if your into hunting it might be no harm to get a letter off a farmer talk to the licencing officer and they'll tell you explain exactly what you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

To cover yourself you should have either the 2 letters AND the clay pigeon/gun club membership. There's no way they can say no to that along with your security arrangements of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Remember that it is not from the farmer but the land owner. Sorry for getting technical, I would also suggest getting 3 letters. They alone are sufficient. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just to further muddy the waters, I'm led to believe that it's more a matter of acreage than sheer numbers of landowners/shooting rights holders.
    Sorry about that Glacier :D

When I was applying for my first deer permit, the nice Firearms Officer told me that 100 acres (40 hectares or so) was plenty. I was left with the impression that similar acreage would do for a shotgun licence too.

Club membership alone should be enough to get a shotgun licence, provided it's a club with a strong interest in clay pigeon sports. Membership of a pistol or indoor air rifle club probably wouldn't cut much ice :D

Rovi wrote:
    Membership of a pistol or indoor air rifle club probably wouldn't cut much ice :D
    ...for a shotgun licence that is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote:
    ...for a shotgun licence that is :D
    Obviously! :rolleyes:

Although..........................

I can just picture Sparks hiding under the bench folding paper targets into little aeroplanes, waiting for the lad with the shotgun to shout 'Pull!'
    :D:D:D

I dunno Rovi, a shotgun might explain some of the groups I've been getting recently (though I suppose the 'flu and tonsillitis might equally explain them :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Excuses, excuses ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

hey,

I'm part of a gun club in cork, and shoot pheasant and other game. To be a member of our club it's mandatory to (a) have a gun licence (b) be club member (c) Join the Naargc and also take out insurance with them. This covers you in the case of an accident. This also stops you from making a claim from the farmer. There came a time a few years ago, that farmers had to be asked for permission to shoot on their land from the 1st November (pheasant shooting opening day) but some were afraid of people claiming, and who wouldn't blame them ! But the way we have the club set up every one is happy and safe.... and thank god no one has had to make a claim.....

Advertisement