Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accumulated Suggestions

Options
  • 21-10-2005 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

There's some things here that need to be upgraded due to changes on boards, and others that i think should be changed for my own sake.
    • Firstly, please fix the feedback forum.
    Almost every thread gets filled with spam very soon after the 5th post. It seems that the purpose of the board has been forgotten. Even though it seems to have been created for chatter(Hey look: Precedent! Interesting to see that thread go the usual way) . That was a long time ago, when Help was open and doing much of what feedback does.
    • Add a Moderator
    I'd suggest that a hard line is taken on derailing of threads from the topic of feedback. Either making it part of the SMod brief, or appointing a Feedback mod to prune/move/lock threads to Recycle/TCN would do it i'm sure.
    • Drop the stickys
    There's loads of them. I'd only have the SIGPO ones (if even. I'm sure any SIGPO activists are subscribed to both anyway.), and the new feedback charter.
    • Restate the purpose of feedback with a charter.
    I had a go by canibalising the current equivalent and AH.
    charter wrote:
    Welcome to Feedback. This forum is the place where you feedback to us what you like (or dislike) about the site. It is also for feedback and suggestions for existing and new features, and generally all topics relating to the operation of boards.ie.

Anyone can make a suggestion, and anyone can criticise any suggestion. Being a subscriber/Moderator means nothing here.
    DeVore wrote:
    Dont be afraid to criticise, if you are civil and backup your point with a reasonable argument you'll find us reasonable people. In many ways, this site has been a success simply because most people are reasonable and will accept reasonable rules and restrictions where necessary. Feel free to tell us what you think would make it better. We may very well implement your idea (we've done that a ton of times before) or we may very well completely ignore it or tell you we cant.

Decisions are made by the admins only. That is DeVore, Cloud, Regi, ecksor, and Vexorg.

Decisions take time. We all work day jobs. As I write this Boards has been running for 4 years without break and its very very big now... this generates a lot of things for us to do in our spare time! Please read the FAQ forum and search this forum for what you are about to suggest. Its probably been suggested before but if not feel free to post it. We'll let it be discussed until we feel its been talked through and then a decision is made.

Hassling us to make a decision is a VERY BAD IDEA. politely bringing it to our attention that its been 3 weeks and no decision, thats ok.... PMing me 8 hours after you post it asking Why the f*ck I havent bothered responding will get your account deleted (this really happened!).

All suggestions and feedback are discussable by all users... some will give their views forcibly. Like all forums this one is built on civility to one another and staying on topic. Please respect that.

The Rules:
    General boards.ie rules and common sense apply, but here are some rules which may need stating:

Be Civil. No Flaming or personal abuse.
    This is a site-wide rule, but worth re-stating here because there are often polarised opinions flying around. Calling someone an idiot is personal abuse. Calling an idea stupid or idiotic is not. If you think someone is aiming personal abuse at you, don't respond in kind. Re-read the post, and report it if you still think it's neccessary.

Stay On-topic. This is not a chatter zone for the "in" crowd.
    There are plenty of places on boards.ie to steer a thread off-topic or hold IRC style conversations. This is not one of them. Comment on the on-thread topic, or don't post. Derailed threads may be pruned/moved/locked as appropriate.

This is not a FAQ
    If you have a question about how available features work, do a search or post in the Queries / FAQ board.

If you are banned from a forum, don't ask here to be unbanned.
    Usually users get banned from specific forums because they break the charter or rules of that particular forum. If you don't know why you are banned, first check your recent posts(log out first), then PM a mod if it still not apparent why you are banned. If that avenue fails, open a helpdesk ticket.
    • Rename "Newbies / FAQ" to "Queries / FAQ"
    There are often threads started by users who have been around a few months, but can't find the News/Media forum, or don't know how to post unregistered in PI. Presumably, they don't consider themselves newbies, and post in feedback. A rename might make it a more attractive option for that kind of thread. Also rewrite the blurb on it to remove the "New to Boards.ie?" bit.
    • Update the sig rules
    They are clearly out-dated, to the point that most sigs violate the rules by having images with text. So long as the sig is not taking up as much room as the post, i'm sure most would be happy enough, as long as it doesn't cause additional technical strain on the site.
    • Forums forum
    Maybe add a mod for the Forums forum too so that the new request for a teen forum can be locked with a link too the previous open request, and the message that it's really not going to happen.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

An extension on the "Remove the stickies" would be to create the ability for each user to have individualised stickies. Allow each user to have an area of threads stuck that are of personal interest to them.

I've seen it implemented with useful effect on a PunBB forum, might even be a hack for it already out for vB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Yes would agree with adding an independant mod to the forums and feedback just to keep things clean and tidy but think the Admins are busy and Smods are busy too for just cleaning,so good point.

Wasnt the feedback given a revamp lately? But agree i think the feedback should be for actual proper issues: not "i cant access .........." (e-mail the bloody mod). Also i have recieved "i raised a helpdesk ticket to a Smod or Admin and they havent replied?". Rubbish,reckon remove Smod and Admin from the helpdesk and just the mods and then if we cant help elevate it accordingly!

Make an extra HD for advertising and the like that only the Admins and Smods can answer!

AH there was adding of extra mods latelt: but dunno its a nice dumping ground IMO, always browse; that 99% rubbish but sometimes a nice 1% nugget of pure gold.

Steve i like your way of thinking:D

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Yes.
    • Add a Moderator
    Yes.
    • Drop the stickys
    Yes.
    Fair enough.
    Don't care.
    • Update the sig rules
    Meh. I guess so.
    • Forums forum
    Yes. It's subforum needs to be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Yep definately need a mod or some kind of overlord for the Feedback forum. I think you all know my stance on sigs, but the problem is that no one that matters is actively concerned about them. Perhaps encourage more of the SMODS and up to look at the SIGPO thread more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Steveire wrote:
    Almost every thread gets filled with spam very soon after the 5th post. It seems that the purpose of the board has been forgotten. Even though it seems to have been created for chatter(Hey look: Precedent! Interesting to see that thread go the usual way) . That was a long time ago, when Help was open and doing much of what feedback does.
    • Add a Moderator
    I'd suggest that a hard line is taken on derailing of threads from the topic of feedback. Either making it part of the SMod brief, or appointing a Feedback mod to prune/move/lock threads to Recycle/TCN would do it i'm sure.
    I agree. Although this has become a bone of contention recently. Feedback is supposed to be somewhere where you can talk to the admins/community without fear of a moderator having control of your thread, etc etc. Smods can and have locked threads in the past, but this has made certain people unhappy, as it goes against the "all users are equal here" ethos that Feedback is supposed to have. And I tend to agree with that sentiment. Perhaps a caretaker mod for the Feedback forum - someone who's not a mod elsewhere, and is purely charged with locking spammy crap and pointing people in the right direction ("why have I been banned" threads for example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

WRT signatures and the sigpo.I agree that the rules need to be changed/edited.

Is it possible to create a specific signature mod who has the power to solely edit signatures. Gordon is doing a great job at the moment but i reckon he tends to be a bit busy with SuperModding and signatures seem a bit of a distraction.

I like the spammy threads....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

someone who's not a mod elsewhere, and is purely charged with locking spammy crap and pointing people in the right direction ("why have I been banned" threads for example).

That's probably the most sensible course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

seamus wrote:
    Feedback is supposed to be somewhere where you can talk to the admins/community

That's fine in theory, but the admins are usually too busy to respond to every request.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Thanks Steve - here's my comments (personal, not reflecting the opinions of the entire team)...
    Steveire wrote:
    • Firstly, please fix the feedback forum. [SPAM]

Cleanup in this forum is probably a duty for the SMods/Admins to combat. We could set it up so that there are no replies allowed by non-SMods/Admins, but not sure if that'll help or not... Things are a lot easier in vB 3.5 regarding moderation...

• Add a Moderator

As above.

• Drop the stickys

I've removed two or three of these, and merged the SIGPOs.

Since DeV did the original one, maybe you could ask him to replace it with your suggested one.

Can't say I agree with this, but I'll move on...

• Update the sig rules

That's your opinion, but you can have a 10k eyesore of a signature too. But we can certainly review the rules...

• Forums forum

I'm happy for the SMods to decide what Forums are definitely not going to happen - I'd like them to eventually help with the creation too but that isn't possibly in vB at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

CuLT wrote:
    An extension on the "Remove the stickies" would be to create the ability for each user to have individualised stickies. Allow each user to have an area of threads stuck that are of personal interest to them.
    That sounds great to me. A quick google comes up valueless though.
    seamus wrote:
    Perhaps a caretaker mod for the Feedback forum - someone who's not a mod elsewhere, and is purely charged with locking spammy crap and pointing people in the right direction ("why have I been banned" threads for example).
    I'd say someone who is experienced but patient enough is the right candidate, seeing as flaming/trolling needs to be quickly recognised and dealt with. Seeing as Cloud might prefer the current situation, more rigourous reporting will have the right affect i'm sure.
    RuggieBear wrote:
    I like the spammy threads....
    And you'd still like them if they were in TCN or recycle bin, right? I'd say they drown the original suggestions and feedback.
    Cloud wrote:
    We could set it up so that there are no replies allowed by non-SMods/Admins.

But that would defeat the purpose of feedback wouldn't it?

I'm happy for the SMods to decide what Forums are definitely not going to happen

Might put that in the charter somewhere. Might be a good idea in general to put up a rough guide to the SMod brief, because i don't think i'm especially clear on all their responsibilities. Didn't know about this at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Steveire wrote:
    There are often threads started by users who have been around a few months, but can't find the News/Media forum, or don't know how to post unregistered in PI. Presumably, they don't consider themselves newbies, and post in feedback. A rename might make it a more attractive option for that kind of thread. Also rewrite the blurb on it to remove the "New to Boards.ie?" bit.

Just a thought (and would involve a code change), but how about the "Newbies / FAQ" link is prominently displayed in the User CP page (or most commonly used starting page) for users whose join date was less than n weeks/months ago?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm broadly in agreement with Cloud, I'll certainly review the Charter here as a clean up of Feedback is needed. I am deliberately a little lax about the rules here as its often the place where people let their emotions about the site come out, and thats a good temperature guage.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

/me raises hand - oh, me, me memememememememme!!

*grin* :)

Advertisement