Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fawlty Towers

• 21-10-2005 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I am sure some of you remember the classic scene in Fawlty Towers in which Basil leaves Polly in charge when the builders call. He comes back to find the door to the kitchen blocked off and claps Manuel around the ears "well, what are you going to do now then!".

That is like our experience with Irish Broadband (and in particular NTR Broadband - their Northern subsidiary - through which we are connected out of Strabane). After 6 months of battling with them they finally arranged to send out engineers from Belfast to "repair" our connection. The guys laboured away for most of this afternoon and then said there's your upgrade to 3 MB then!!! I immediately went to www.irishisptest.com and, guess what, absolutely no difference in speed from the usual 300 - 400 kbps download and 50 kbps upload (meant to be the 2 MB service). I asked them what do you mean, upgrade, all we want is our 2 MB service restored to its original state back in March. We then spent 40 minutes trying to connect to technical support in Dublin. After a long conversation between them the people in IBB Dublin then hung up on their own engineers!!

Later I phoned IBB again (usual 30 minute delay listening to "your call is important to us" and the usual crap) and the techie says "we need the engineer to reset the radio". OK, I said, that's a bit difficult seeing as they are in Belfast, which is a 4 hour round trip, and in any case why didn't you ask them to do that when they were standing here on the phone in our kitchen!

What a bunch of absolute incompetents! Techie said his boss was called Martin O'Toole. Has anyone heard of him? Does anyone in IBB know what they are talking about? Is Manuel actually in charge of IBB? :mad:

Comments

Advertisement