Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bolton resting players in UEFA cup

• 21-10-2005 9:58am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is something I noticed last night while watching the Bolton game. They struggled all last season to finish in the European positions in the Premiership for the first time ever but yet they go and rest first team players when they are playing in the competition. This makes no sense to me at all. Why fight all season to get into Europe and then not put out your best team when you play in the competition?

Bolton made 7 changes to their side, some forced by injury but some not, they were simply rested. They did the exact same thing in the last round against Xanthi. Its as if they are not taking the competition seriously and rate it on a par with the Carling Cup.

Does anyone have any explanations for this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The commentator made the point last night that so many clubs struggle in their domestic league when they get into Europe. Look at Liverpool.

Maybe Big Sam was doing one of two things, resting players because it was an away match, or he places more priority on finishing high in the PL therefore guranteeing a place in Europe every year?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

big sam is an extremely focused man. the league is his priority. league table is a bit muddled up at the moment with the exception of chelsea of course. so i really think theres a big chance for some of the smaller teams to gain a decent position this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

BaZmO* wrote:
    Maybe Big Sam was doing one of two things, resting players because it was an away match, or he places more priority on finishing high in the PL therefore guranteeing a place in Europe every year?

Yeah I understand this but it doesnt make sense to me trying to guarantee getting into Europe every season but not putting out your best team and therefor running the risk of going out early. It makes a waste of all the good work you put in the previous season.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yeah I understand this but it doesnt make sense to me trying to guarantee getting into Europe every season but not putting out your best team and therefor running the risk of going out early. It makes a waste of all the good work you put in the previous season.

It could be the knock on effect of getting into Europe every year. More money, higher profile, able to attract better players?

B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

BaZmO* wrote:
    It could be the knock on effect of getting into Europe every year. More money, higher profile, able to attract better players?

Again I agree but it could also be argued that if they go out early it will be less money, players will see them going out so early and not want to go to them etc etc. Also they are professional footballers they should be well able to play two games a week.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    Again I agree but it could also be argued that if they go out early it will be less money, players will see them going out so early and not want to go to them etc etc. Also they are professional footballers they should be well able to play two games a week.

You're right they "should" be able to but invariably they can't. As I've said before, look at Liverpool last year. And also, look at how well teams perform after Internationals.

I think the real tell tale sign will be if he decides to play an understrength team for the home legs.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

He wasn't resting players, he was forced to make those changes due to a massive injury list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

And they got a draw away in Turkey, which is a good result for a tem new to Europe like Bolton. Borgetti is probably better suited to European matches untill he gets more Premiership experience.
    Sam will play stronget teams at home and play for the 3 points, if it works out he will get out of the Group phase and into the knockout phase.
    Not bad for a first European campaign. Of Course he knows they will not win the UEFA cup so wants to ensure a good finish in the Premiership as well.
    Very smart managment in my Opinion

dublindude wrote:
    He wasn't resting players, he was forced to make those changes due to a massive injury list.

Not true. Some players were out through injury but then he left first team regulars such as Kevin Davies, Bruno N'gotty and Kevin Nolan on the bench. He did the same thing against Xanthi resting alot of players and they didnt have a big injury list then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Gave the chance for a young Irish player, Joey O'Brien, to get a run out in a European cup competition against a decent side so I'm not complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I believe O'Brien was responsible for the Besiktas goal??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Don't think so. Didn't see the game but according to the paper today Fadiga played a ball that was too short and O'Brien slipped trying to reach it.

It sounded from it like it was Fadiga's fault anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

dublindude wrote:
    I believe O'Brien was responsible for the Besiktas goal??
    As Lemlin said he failed to control a sloppy pass.

Advertisement