Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cup semi-final Cork vs Derry..live on RTE 2 7.40

• 21-10-2005 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

Game was in some doubt last night but is now likely to go ahead.

The pitch was used last night for the u-19 international vs Italy and was destroyed. Makes you wonder is the FAI taking the piss?

Has all the makings of a good game with 2 in form sides. Hopefully it wont be the conditions that decide the game and that a bit of magic wins the game.

Excellent previews on

www.elevenaside.com

Compare that with http://www.fai.ie/competition.asp?hlid=221727 ...this is the FAI's flagship national competition btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It has all the makings of a great game, but if the pitch cuts up as badly as it did last night, it will be an awful game.

There is a 2nd pitch inspection @ 1pm and the final decisoon will be made then. It looks like it will go ahead, as the forecast rain has not materialised yet.

As for the game itself, I reckon one goal will decide it, and whoveer gets that goal will win the double. Psychologically, a win tonight will be a huge boost ahead of the run in.

Should be a full house also, so hopefullyt a good ad for the Irish game which the barstool brigade will no doubt decide its still not worthy of its attention.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Would love to watch this game im sure it will be an excellent match between two good sides but unfortunately its on TV at the same time as the Leeds V Sheffield Utd game so ill be watching that instead.

I heard about the pitch and it seems it was in really bad condition and the Ireland Italy game could easily have been abondoned because of the pitch. I hope this doesnt ruin the game and force the sides to play long balls through the air because of the pitch. I think I might set my video for this one.

By the way I fancy Cork to just shade this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'll have to tape this one. Best of luck lads, Dery are a mighty tough side to beat these days.

So are Cork City!

Pitch passed playable. Though its starting to rain again. 6 hours before KO. Alot can change in the meantime.

The last time Derry lost was at the Cross, 26 games ago. This match tonight is going to be fascinating. I just found out I'm going to be free tonight so I'll be watching intently.

Hoping for a good display of football, but the weather/pitch might hinder that.

• Advertisement

The pitch is in shít. I dont care how much they say the pitch has improved from last night, it CANNOT have gotten too much better. There were puddles in the St Annes end box, and corner. There were puddles in front of the dug outs, and in the centre circle. The ball wouldnt bounce in most parts of the pitch.

Its started to rain again, and it looks like its going to be in for the day, so i still reckon this game could be called off.

I know for a fact that the FAI idiots at the Cross last night wanted the game to go ahead regardless. Deryys chairman said he didnt want his playyers on that surface. All MSL and MJL games have been postponed this weekend for player saftey concerns. Why should this be any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

What part of Cork are you living in?

The weather is v. mild where I am.

What part of Cork are you living in?

The weather is v. mild where I am.

I live in Togher, but am at work in Blackpool. Its misty and sh*tty up here. The weather is crap as well.

But its not raining. :)

If it rains let it do so at 9.30 and hopefully well be sining in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i'm not a cork fan, but i don't like derry. what a predicament eh? i thought Shamrock Rovers were going to pull one out against Derry in the 1/4 but Derry's class Shone through.

Very hard for any team to travel to the cross and get something. i see this being a long drawn out cagey game with bouth teams think defensive rather than offensive, i don't knoe the teams yet, but if George O'C and Paddy mcC are on thats where the flair will be (do either defend? lol) is pat still unfit? he dies at the 75min mark and won't track back/pass the ball. cork to shade it with a late late goal

Good start, chances for both sides. Pitch is poor but hasn't affected the game yet in any major way.

crap i didn't see the time it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jesus, the state of the pitch :eek:

Thats what numerous games and heavy rain will do to a pitch.

O'Callaghan should have walked there. Terrible "challenge".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Thats what numerous games and heavy rain will do to a pitch.

Summer football, eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

O'Callaghan should have walked there. Terrible "challenge"

LOL whatever!

Cork City in the final and they deserve too!

On the way for a double here

Cork City are in the final and thats all that matters. Revenge for 3 years ago.

On a personal level I'd like to say the FAI are a ****ing joke. Only the FAI would allow a game go ahead on a waterlogged pitch the night before an FAI Cup semi-final.

Saipan, and all that bollix is nothing compared to ****e they pulled these last 2days.:mad:

Thick ****ers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mossy Monk wrote:
    jesus, the state of the pitch :eek:
    The U19 qualifiers were played in Cork. This pretty much sums it up:

"Italy’s goal came in bizarre circumstances in the 55th minute. Edward Nolan turned to roll a ball back to goalkeeper Darren Randolph from 25 yards. The ball stuck in a pool just two yards away from him and Alessio Cerci raced on before hammering it home."

• Advertisement

How sweet it is. Last night, at the final whistle was simply amazing. Its what being a football fan is all about, seeing your team win a huge game to go to the cup final. I feel sorry for the barstoolers on this board, they dont know what its like, no matter how many are in the pub!

I felt sorry for the Derry fans last night. It was a tough break, and Ive seen those decisions not given. Great banter afterwards in The Horseshoe. Derry fans are a great bunch.

Let the scramble for tickets begin.

great bunch unless you wear a green and white hoop. i could tell it was going to be like that, cork/derry could have tossed a coin in the end, i think it was down to the pitch though.

2-0 Drogs now in the other semi. O'Brien and Sandvliet.

Advertisement