Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design

• 17-09-2001 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey,
    me and a few friends are doing a young entrepreneur scheme in school. It involves starting your own business and we've decided to start a web design company. We are all able to use html, java, dhtml ect. I was just wonderin if any1 could give me any tips???

Highly appreciated,
    Kav.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Hey DJ_Kav,

First off I'd say hang out on the Webmaster board for a bit, ask whatever questions you want there.
    I'm guessing you'll be asking about what to charge etc. There are guys over there who know that kind of stuff.

You'll need to focus on what kind of sites you'll be doing. Brochure-ware sites, small business sites, interactive media sites, dynamic content-driven sites. I'd say pick one ye can all agree on and stick with it. Have templates that ye can work from to make things easier. Try to work as closely with the customer as ye can without getting in their way. Make sure you're giving them what they want and make sure you get the most from them that you can (logo's, content etc).

I'd advise ye not to overdo things either, keep things as simple as possible. You'd be surprised how easy it is to over complicate things and end up with a really Flashy site that just doesn't work.
    Stay away from Java applets in other words, if you're going to be using Java, use servlets or JSPs.

Get a good hosting service, I believe host.ie is quite good.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

When he said Java I assume he meant Javascript I just got that by the order he put them in but If I'm wrong sorry :D.

Anyway like enygma keep it simple, make the html template look alright before ya go screwing around adding in bell's and whistles. Whenever you add something ask yourself does the page really need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DJ_Kav

Thanx lads. That'll be a great help. You were right when you said the main thing ill be looking for is prices, cus i honestly dont have a clue on how much to charge.

Thanx,
    Kav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Since ye're a small school-based operation I'd say about £300 -500 for a small enough site would be reasonable. Maybe you could survey the small businesses in your area or something. Screw that, get one of the other groups to do that for their business :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DJ_Kav

Wow, thats way more than i thought. I was thinkin about £25-150 for a fairly decent sit. Looky it doesnt start till october. I want to get as much info as i can by then, its gonna b tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Allo,
    Originally posted by DJ_Kav
    Wow, thats way more than i thought. I was thinkin about £25-150 for a fairly decent sit. Looky it doesnt start till october. I want to get as much info as i can by then, its gonna b tough.

In general, our most basic sites (usually around seven pages brochure-style) will take the design team approximately 25 hours to complete. This is without taking into consideration the sales process, design briefs, proposals, client meetings, etc. They cost vastly more than you're talking about - very likely too much for a student to be able to sell, no offence. But, you should definitly reconsider what your hourly rate is going to be if you're making sites sites for 25-100... At the end of the day it's experience too, I guess; just don't get screwed.

Do not undersell yourself. It will take longer than you think.

If possible try to figure out how long it's going to take you. Create a fake site for some fake company. Write all the content out on paper (it's probably how you're going to get it from the company). Create a proposal, allow time for the meetings you'd be having if your client actually existed :) Create a design prototype. Make changes to it. Then create the site itself and insert the copy and imagery. Make further changes. This will give you some idea how long it's gonna take.

Also, don't forget to charge for all your work - sales, administration of domain/hosting, design, coding...

HTH,
    -Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Forgot to mention that you should sort out a contract too... you'll find thousands of samples on the web.

Also, the knights say "Ni"... unless you're some splinter group ;)

Cheers,
    -Ross

Advertisement