Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Green Reclining Bin

Options
  • 21-10-2005 11:52am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to get a second green bin as our one seems to be full after two weeks,and they only collect them every 4 weeks.

:edit:I am in the Dublin City Council area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You can in Clonee. Don't see why not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you may not need one.....I got a letter yesterday evening from Oxigen telling me that they would now be collecting my green bin every 2nd week instead of every 4 weeks. BUT, and I say a big BUT, they are only going to be collecting the black bin every 2 weeks. This is after I just paid my quarterly payment to the ba$tards.

I called AES this morning and they said they were going down the same route, so there is no point changing to them as they all seem to have gotten together and arranged this between them.

So now, they are going to be taking the same amount of money and collecting half the amount of time.

The girl on the phone said if I wasn't happy that I could write a letter of complaint to head office. Like that will do any good. I'm gonna be sending all my kids sh!tty nappies in to them more like it.

She said I should start uing my green bin more than I should....cheek of her. My green bin gets filled up to the top for every collection and I put in everything that allows me to put into it. Looks like even more will be going in now...:cool:

Anybody else get this letter recently?

Thats horrendous!! Its one thing not expecting the average sized family not to fill the bin each week.

Having household rubbish around for 2 weeks is a health hazzard. as it is .. my bin stinks after one week.

bubby wrote:
    Thats horrendous!! Its one thing not expecting the average sized family not to fill the bin each week.

Having household rubbish around for 2 weeks is a health hazzard. as it is .. my bin stinks after one week.
    Damn right...its a disgrace...looks like they are trying to force people to get a 2nd bin from them even though they say we should recycle more....

A green bin from Oxygen they are free.
    The grey ones are 130 euros! And where I live they get nicked regularly.

Actually, sorry to go off thread but someone where I work got their wheelie bin robbed and rang for another (130 euros please). "Thats terrible, but what happens if it gets robbed again". The person said "No, they never get robbed more than once".

Complete farse .. sounded like they were robbing the bins! :o "Well this week we will rob number 105 becuase they haven't had their bin swiped before".

Anywayu .. back to the topic of this thread. I have a mid terace house, small front garden, just room for my car. No way am I goint to have any more than 2 wheelie bins there. I'll just start leavihng black bags full of **** right beside the gate .. stinking things. There parents of the school kids will eventually complain!

Fingal co. co. seem to do enough for the schools - like 5 lolly pop ladies on a stretch of 200 meters of road!
    Won't be long before the kids parents compain.
    No intention of forking out for another wheelie bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi all, there is very little point in just stuffing your green bin full every week. The phrase is reduce, reuse and recycle. We are a family of four (not eco warriors or anything like that) but we fill our green bin (fairly full) over the four weeks. Not saying anyone here is doing this but we do have neighbours who do not even flatten boxes before they pop them in the bin, so maybe this strategy could be a help to making the bin last the four weeks.

really the aim should be to reduce the amount of waste you generate rather than have large amounts collected more often.

For those who have their grey bin collected only every 2 weeks rinsing out tin cans, milk cartons (if they are not allowed in you green bin), and generally limiting the amount of organic waste will reduce the smell. Backyard composters are available (for free in some council areas) which will reduce your output more. If you are paying using tags this will help to reduce your bill also.

keep the faith folks and reduce and reuse.

eddiej wrote:
    Hi all, there is very little point in just stuffing your green bin full every week. The phrase is reduce, reuse and recycle. We are a family of four (not eco warriors or anything like that) but we fill our green bin (fairly full) over the four weeks. Not saying anyone here is doing this but we do have neighbours who do not even flatten boxes before they pop them in the bin, so maybe this strategy could be a help to making the bin last the four weeks.

really the aim should be to reduce the amount of waste you generate rather than have large amounts collected more often.

For those who have their grey bin collected only every 2 weeks rinsing out tin cans, milk cartons (if they are not allowed in you green bin), and generally limiting the amount of organic waste will reduce the smell. Backyard composters are available (for free in some council areas) which will reduce your output more. If you are paying using tags this will help to reduce your bill also.

keep the faith folks and reduce and reuse.
    eddie, my green bin is practically full every 4 weeks and thats flattening everything...we don't get a grey bin here....tins are allowed in the green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

Lex, I see your in Kildare...just wondering is it North kildare at all as would be happy to see Oxigen (supplier of our green bins) collecting every fortnight as in the same position and have easily run out of space after 2 weeks no matter how deftly everything is packed in it??

However, in Celbridge the regular househould waste bin is collected every week as its on the tag system so up to you if you punt it out or not and think thats the cazse for Thorntons and Kildare county council??

samo wrote:
    Lex, I see your in Kildare...just wondering is it North kildare at all as would be happy to see Oxigen (supplier of our green bins) collecting every fortnight as in the same position and have easily run out of space after 2 weeks no matter how deftly everything is packed in it??

However, in Celbridge the regular househould waste bin is collected every week as its on the tag system so up to you if you punt it out or not and think thats the cazse for Thorntons and Kildare county council??
    Samo, its Naas.

I would like to see it go to a tag system here if thats the way they are going to be about it. There are some weeks I just cannot not have my black bin collected every week. I would say since the green bin has come in, our black bin is only 3/4 full every week. But I would find it difficult to get that down to 1/2 full every week.

I cannot see Oxigen going to a 2 weekly system up there if they only do the green bin collection. The reason they are doing it here is that they also collect the balck bin and they are trying to justify their reasons for only collecting the black bin every 2 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Lex Luthor wrote:
    eddie, my green bin is practically full every 4 weeks and thats flattening everything...we don't get a grey bin here....tins are allowed in the green bin.

Lex, everyone who ever talks about this always mentions the cost of collecting etc as a reason why we should cut down on number of collections even our REALLY CLEVER environment minister Mr. Dickie Roche :D:D:D .

The crux of the matter is if we use loads of stuff we have loads of stuff to either a) dump or b) recycle. By collecting the waste less often people may actually begin to realise the consequences of their actions and cut down on waste. Look at the plastic baggie levy. Now I know everyone gets loads of junk mail and it is kinda hard to buy your groceries and leave all the packaging behind but we do have to try. This waste issue is not one getting extra bins I hink the government (the wonderful little darlings they are) had a slogan about being snowed under by waste or something but we really wil be.

Anyway back to the point people should be limited to 1 recycling bin unless you have 8 or more (or some figure like that) in the house we just have to stop producing so much crap.

Rant over

Night night all

Eddie:cool:

• Advertisement

eddiej makes a good point - reason behind it ecologically.

My green bin (the recycling one) is always jambed at the end of the month. I recycle everything I can. It would be great if they would collect twice a month instead of monthly, but NOT at the expense of the regular collection.

Advertisement