Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

MS Word template lock pics

• 21-10-2005 12:03pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have been asked to create an MS Word template - easy enough. However, I need the company logo and details (which is currently in a large A4 sized jpg) as a 'background'.
    What I have done so far is to insert the pic and send it behind the text and I edited the various properties but I can't seem to lock the pic so that the user cannot select it.
    Currently if they select all or similar the pic also gets selected and can be deleted (which I don't want).
    I know I can split the jpg into two bits and use the header and footer but I want to see if the current way works.
    Can I lock the pic?

mods: I wasn't sure if the Windows forum is the best place for this - move if necessary.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you remember with Word there is an option to write protect a file by specifying a password to make changes. To bypass that all you do is File Save As or Select All and copy in to a new document. So I'm not sure you would ever be able to lock the document down completely.

I don't use word [ insert plug for http://www.openoffice.org - the free alternative ]- but have you looked up watermark ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thanks

I don't want to lock the document. I just want two pictures locked into the template - one at the top and one at the bottom. I want them locked so that the user cannot select them. A watermark would render the pictures semi transparent surely?

They will not go with open office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

In Word 2003, you can set a picture as a background fill effect. It does not make it opaque, and it's not selectable. Note that it won't show up in some of the views, though it will in print preview and web view.

Format> Background > Fill Effects > Picture

However it also means that you have to change print settings to print background images by default.
    Page Setup/Paper/Print Options/ Include with document background colours and images

Advertisement