Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom rep: "there's no point to groups like IrelandOffline"

Options
  • 21-10-2005 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

As I mention on my blog (article here):
    I had a meeting with a rep from eircom the other day in work. We’re going to be re-sellers of theirs, selling their phone lines and broadband packages here in Dundalk.

Anyway, I happened to ask him what he thought of pressure groups like Ireland OFFLine and he asked me who they were, saying he’d never heard of them. I told him who they were, how long they’d been around, and exactly what their objectives were and he basically said (I’m paraphrasing here…) “oh, right, I don’t see any point in pressure groups like them, sure, eircom are delivering FRIACO and broadband to more and more people all the time anyway. Between us and ComReg, the job is getting done and Irish people are getting a great service.”

Do eircom actually take IrelandOffline seriously (any more) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Bard wrote:
    Do eircom actually take IrelandOffline seriously (any more) ?

Officially they never have, unofficially they do alright. They've also recently changed their tune and have to go on radio interviews with us whereas all along they refused. Same goes with ComReg who even invite us along to their public events.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I believe they still fear Irelandoffline's press releases, if their employee's choose to play dumb (or be dumb) then I can understand since he properly did'ent want to get into a debate with you.

Overall I think irelandoffline is still a valid force and was a few years back, I remember when the internet black day was arranged years back when the owner of a net cafe I worked for was actually worried it might affect business ;)

If the comment is accurate, then its worrying that eircom and its employee's are blind to the views of current and potential customers in Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

"The Devil's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist"

John

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

jwt wrote:
    "The Devil's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist"

John
    ...What???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bard wrote:
    ...What???

I believe he's comparing IrelandOffLine to the devil?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I see it as following

Devil == eircom

he == IrelandOffline

"Eircom's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world IrelandOffline didn't exist"

Its not word for word perfect, but meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Eircom [in general]'s greatest accomplishment was convincing the world that eircom [the evil bad part] doesn't exist. (i.e. that eircom is all nice and good and friendly....)

Advertisement