Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite political writer/analyst?

Options
  • 21-10-2005 1:13pm

For me, it's gotta be PJ O'Rourke. A nice antidote to a world of Michael Moore and Michael Moore wannabes. Not that there's anything wrong with Moore, it just wears me down. O'Rourke is a good writer, a funny guy if a bit of a smartass, and sounds genuinely entertaining. Plus, when you read the Moore type stuff, one almost assumes that the American right wing is moronic, whereas while one might not always agree with O'Rourke has has a sharp mind.

'Holidays in Hell' is great read.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Don't have a favourite writer on these topics tbh - there are a few I think are ok but that's about it.

PJ O'Rourke has his moments although some of his stuff I find tiresome (possibly because they've been copied so much by others). His account of visiting Disneyland or whatever in Holidays in Hell is hilarious and spot-on, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

Conor74 wrote:
    For me, it's gotta be PJ O'Rourke. A nice antidote to a world of Michael Moore and Michael Moore wannabes. Not that there's anything wrong with Moore, it just wears me down. O'Rourke is a good writer, a funny guy if a bit of a smartass, and sounds genuinely entertaining. Plus, when you read the Moore type stuff, one almost assumes that the American right wing is moronic, whereas while one might not always agree with O'Rourke has has a sharp mind.

'Holidays in Hell' is great read.

His economic solutions in Holidays in Hell vis a via military spending and low tax for high earners makes Moore's solutions to NI and Israeli seeem like erudite intelligent well thought out ideas.

I like John Freedland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

For style over substance old Conor Cruise O Brien was hard to beat in his prime. A wonderful writer and an impish sense of humour when it came to putting a point of view across. His original article on the GUBU scenario was brilliant. But that was more than 20 years ago.

Mind you, he's a complete right wing twat and I wouldn't agree with most of what he says. Nor would I vote for him in a blue fit.

For a more tabloid style, Eamon McCann was hard to beat, though I don't see his stuff anywhere now. Maybe he's slowing down in his old age. His book War and an Irish Town is the best account of the troubles in Northern Ireland. It captures the atmosphere of Derry at the time better than a novel.

Mind you, he's a complete left wing twat and I wouldn't agree with most of what he says. Nor would I vote for him in a blue fit.

Hunter S. Thompson if he counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

Mark Steyn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

Hunter S. Thompson if he counts.

Rar, I'm an iconalist just like thompson!
    Mark Steyn

Mark Steyn, Kevin Myers, and Mary Mc Donn (whatever, saturday indo supplement) form my three minute hate. I read them to remind me why I hate them and their ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I've always found Robert Fisk's articles to be interesting reading. By far the best of the Middle East based journalists, whether you agree with his opinions or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Eoghan Harris
    John Pilger
    George Monbiot
    Robert Fisk
    Peter Hitchens
    Richard Littlejohn
    Stephen Glover

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Chomsky, Monbiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Chomsky; although my knowledge of authors doesn't stretch to far.

Michael Moore is entertaining and relevent at times, but I wouldn't rate him too highly above entertainment value.

• Advertisement
Advertisement