Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

athlon 1.4gb cooling

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow just used WPCREDIT and these are what i got, a MASSIVE idle temp improvement.

cpu.jpg

That was very very nice, cannot believe this feature isnt enabled by default.

WPCRSET is now making sure this happens every boot.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

It seems motherboard monitor was lying to me, I powered down and checked the bios, and the temp read 41 degrees after a few hours use, still not bad. At least it means I installed it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Osiris, is the thermal sensor actually touching the die-mount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Do any of ye know of a good cooler for the GeForce256?
    I know the heatsink is well stuck on.
    I'd like to try overclocking it a bit.
    If i overclock the memory would i gain any advantage is hunting down those little DRAM heatsinks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

if its an sdr geforce the best way to improve performance is to overclock the memory.

U can get ram sinks from overclockers.co.uk in the thermaltake memory pack, whether they make a difference is debatable, and if they do it's generally in the region of around 5mhz, nothing to get flustered over, still nice peace of mind to know that they are not overheating greatly. Ramsinks would only seem to make a difference when at high mhz, most chips are limited by silicon quality before they hit the heat barrier ram wise.

The original geforce was not hugely overclockable anyway, was a .22 micron 29 million transistor monster of a chip, so the highest overclock you might do would be 140, maybe more if you're lucky, but once again you'd be bandwidth limited. Overclocking the RAM will get your biggest return overclocking wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Originally posted by Longfield
    Wow just used WPCREDIT and these are what i got, a MASSIVE idle temp improvement.

cpu.jpg

That was very very nice, cannot believe this feature isnt enabled by default.

WPCRSET is now making sure this happens every boot.

Longfield,

What is this WPCREDIT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Some useful comparisons:

CPU temps

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

WPCREDIT is usually used for problems which should be fixed by bios updates. I'm surprised abit did not have cpu idling working correctly. If you have an amd machine and it is running at the same temperature all the time, whether you are doing nothing or when the machine is under full load, you should check for a bios update, or if that fails use wpcredit.

syxpak, what I recommend is a socket 7 cooler for the geforce. You can leave the fan on the cooler, or have a case fan blowing over it. I have removed the (extremely crap) heatsink from a creative geforce ddr and a creative geforce2 gts. This sounds highly stupid, but I held the card in the vice by the heatsink, and then twisted the card. I attached the new heatsink by putting a drop of superglue in each corner, and thermal paste on the rest of the chip. Had to sand the glue off the geforce2 chip also. This heatsink blocks a pci slot, but the chip now runs at a few degrees above room temp, and overclocks to 260.

Advertisement