Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting SSL for online shop

Options
  • 21-10-2005 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm finishing my first oscommerce site. See this thread :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=298808

At this stage, I'm looking for SSL certificate to install, but I'm not sure which is really necessary. There are cheaper and expensive ones, from Thawte, Geotrust, Verisign, Rapid, Etrust, etc. I'm just wanna convince the visitors that the site is secured, the cheaper the better. The cheapest I found is Rapid with a starter SSL for $16. The thing is I'm not storing or obtaining credit card details from buyers, all will be done through our merchant provider. What do you guys say? Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you're obtaining personal information before the user trots off to the payment provider, it's as well to get a cert for confidence purposes. If you're not, I wouldn't bother.

The cheapies are fine in my experience, any modern browser will support them and only a tiny minority actually checks the issuer. If you want maximum support and credibility though, go with Thawte or Verisign. Whichever is cheaper, they're the same company.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

Some webhosts offer shared ssl certs. This comes as standard with webhost.ie packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Your host probably provides SSL certs.
    There's no need to get a Thawte or Verisign cert when the cheaper ones are almost universally accepted these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

yes we have the shared ssl, but we finally ordered a Rapid starter ssl. kinda sexy having own cert. :D again the cheapest ($16) does good enuff i think. thank you guys for responding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

FYI for anyone reading this in future*: You need a dedicated IP address to run an SSL certificate, so check with your host that that's the case before you order a cert.

adam

* Greetings from the past!

• Advertisement
Advertisement