Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just what can an X300 equiped laptop handle?

Options
  • 21-10-2005 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Got a Dell Inspiron 6000 recently and I'm looking to get some games to distract me from college work :D

The spec is a Pentium M 740 1.73Ghz CPU, Gig of Ram, and 64MB ATI X300 graphics.
    Basic I know but got it mainly for college work.

Tried Deus Ex 2 on it the other night and it ran like a turd :(
    What kind of standard can I expect from this thing, low res Doom 3 even?
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Im thinking of buying a similar spec as above - wouldnt mind what it could handle games wise, the odd time I would be playing games on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Try some slightly older games as you're not going to have much joy with F.E.A.R and Half Life 2 on a 64mb card, for example get something like Football Manager 2006, Call of Duty, Black & White, World of Warcraft (if you're into online RPG's) or Half Life 1/Counter Strike have been re-released in the shops in a new anthology package. Half Life/Counter Strike are particularly excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I would like to know the same. Really only use my laptop for browsing and some work.

Dell Inspiron 5160
    512mb
    P4 2.8Ghz
    Nvidia Geforce Fx Go5200

What could would I be able to play at a half decent graphical level of quality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should have got the 128mb card it runs FEAR!!! on 800x600 decentish.

Would imagine with latest cats and NOTHING else running you could get any game running at a playable speed.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

KdjaC wrote:
    Should have got the 128mb card it runs FEAR!!! on 800x600 decentish.

Would imagine with latest cats and NOTHING else running you could get any game running at a playable speed.

Was a good 125€ for the 128 MB upgrade. Didn't seem good at the time but considering it's still an X300 I wouldn't have bothered anyway.

So shut every little program/process down to get things going better?
    With the amount of sh*te Dell threw on there it's gonna be hard to find whats essential & what I can get rid of :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Laguna wrote:
    Try some slightly older games as you're not going to have much joy with F.E.A.R and Half Life 2 on a 64mb card, for example get something like Football Manager 2006, Call of Duty, Black & White, World of Warcraft (if you're into online RPG's) or Half Life 1/Counter Strike have been re-released in the shops in a new anthology package. Half Life/Counter Strike are particularly excellent.

Wasnt HL2 designed to run on GF4MX and above? The X300 can handle TRON2.0 at decent speed and a lot of eye candy turned on. I would imagine it would make a decent stab at HL2 as well.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

I have the same laptop but with the 128mb x300. runs Bf2 smoothly on lowest settings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Rabies wrote:
    I would like to know the same. Really only use my laptop for browsing and some work.

Dell Inspiron 5160
    512mb
    P4 2.8Ghz
    Nvidia Geforce Fx Go5200

What could would I be able to play at a half decent graphical level of quality?

I have the same setup as you,

basically only CS 1.5/1.6

and UT at medium

CyberGhost, was kinda hoped it might have been able for something more :(

Picked it up for €500 from the Dell outlet store a couple of months ago. Fairly cheap, wasn't planning on spending €1,500+ on a laptop mainly used for browsing.

Do you think it might be able to stretch to WOW on min settings. Was thinking about looking in to this game but no point if I don't have a hope of playing it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

128 x00 is great, I have a 9300, gig of ram, runs FEAR on medium settings no problem.

• Advertisement

no idea about WoW Rabies

51xx laptops are office laptops, Nvidia 5200 = crap!!!

btw, you picked it up at a nice price ;)

I know, its the only reason I bought it :D
    Tried to google for what it can handle before but no luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Matt Simis wrote:
    Wasnt HL2 designed to run on GF4MX and above?

Yup, I've got a GeForce 4 MX 440 64MB AGPX8 downstairs, and half life 2 is quite playable on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

According to the WOW readme any sort of card will run it, 32mb Geforce 2 is lowest.

About the inspiron with the X300, i have had 2 customers for Dell software removal jobbies (ie i remove all dell **** and put on fresh Xp, both less than a month old).

No 1 had X300 64mb 1.2gb ram intel mobile cpu. (bought ti with only 256 ram barely turned on out of the box, got him 1gb off crucial)

Fear just about ran with everything on low and 800x600, not really playable.
    Pes 5 ran nicely on 640x460 and medium settings or low and 800x600.
    Quake 4 just about playable it has better lowering options.

No 2 had 1gb ram x300 with 128mb and intel mobile thingie.

Fear in 800x600 medium very playable only the monitor gave it that wierd tft look. Otherwise perfect.
    Pes5 800x600 on high perfect.
    Quake 4 medium 800x600 perfect.

Both formatted from day one and fresh Xp with latest cats etc: And importantly both plugged in whilst playing ,cpu speed is lower not plugged in, coudlnt get "playable" with it plugged out.

My version of "playable" is not dropping below 25fps at any time and for Pes 5 not dropping below 60 in play (does on replays but who cares goals looks better in slowmo :D )

Ordering one for meself ex vat and with a 1gb of ram its a decent lappie for browsing and playing games in the toilet, all for under a grand :D

kdjac

Rabies wrote:
    I know, its the only reason I bought it :D
    Tried to google for what it can handle before but no luck :(

There you go, laptop or desktop should be the same ;)
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=geforce+fx5200+review&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

I scored like 7110 on 3Dmark2001

Also don't forget that 51 series overheat like crazy, and if you have a prescott processor it's even worse. So I'd think good before firing up a game on a 51 machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

So it would be possible to play HL2 on my laptop!?
    Didn't expect that after seeing the state of Deus Ex 2 running on it.

Been playing Pro Evo 5 at 800x600 with medium detail and it runs very nicely, especially after playing the PS2 version recently.

Any idea how overclockable are the X300's?
    Guessing they wouldn't be as happy overclocking in a laptop as they would be in a desktop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Deus Ex 2 run worse on my 6800GT than any other game so I wouldn't use that as a benchmark. Try downloading the Half Life 2 demo you'd be supprised at how well it may run. It runs grand on my office PC with a geforce 4 MX420! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

If you set the DX level to 7 for Counter Strike source you will be able to play smoothly :)

Advertisement