Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noise on Cold Start

Options
  • 21-10-2005 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Folks,

On starting my renault megane ( 90k ) i hear a screeching noise for approx 1-2 secs. This happens only on cold start.

Anyone any ideas what this could be?

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

Yer Fan belt is loose buddy, get it tightened or indeed replaced. its about time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

fan belt perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

PlayaFlow wrote:
    Yer Fan belt is loose buddy, get it tightened or indeed replaced. its about time.

14:14 - *snap* :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

[fan] belt needs to be tightened to the correct limit usually to allow a 90 degree twist on its longest part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Definately the fanbelt as has been said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭DMC2005

Thanks guys, I figure its not terminal so :)

How much should I expect to be charged to have this replaced? About 50 euro?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the belt should be only a few quid and it should take 5 to 10 minutes to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If it snaps it may cost you more depends what it breaks when it snaps.

kluivert wrote:
    If it snaps it may cost you more depends what it breaks when it snaps.

Don't like the sound of that. I had planned on driving to waterford this weekend.....bad idea or really bad idea?

Thanks for all the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

shouldn't break anything, but the battery wont last very long before it runs out! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jildy

Just another option: It could be the starter motor that needs replacing.

Replace the fanbelt forst as this is the cheaper option.

J

Jildy wrote:
    Just another option: It could be the starter motor that needs replacing.

Replace the fanbelt forst as this is the cheaper option.

J

this could be the case - i was told that "the bendix on the starter may need a drop of oil." no idea what that means so she is off to the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Yea starter Motor went on my dad's renault back around Year 99-00 on his 65k laguna ( 95' ) Heard it happen with renaults before. Cost him a bit to get it sorted. the Gasket's went just after he replaced the motor so he just said bye bye to that car.

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

DMC2005 wrote:
    this could be the case - i was told that "the bendix on the starter may need a drop of oil." no idea what that means so she is off to the garage

Will you start with the belt or belts as you were advised many times over.

Teh main reason it squeels when cold is the battery is discharged after startign the car, plus the voltage is down due to the simple fact that is cold. Thus the alternator is generating max amperage, hence max load on the belt.

The bendix is part of the starter, and would only be more grating than squeeling (like stripping gears or a slipping chain rather than screeching tyres on tarmac.).

And if you wish to do a quick test, get someone else to start the car when cold while you squirt the inside of the belt with water from a squirty bottle, usually just changes the note off the belt while you are squirting, no permanent effect.
    It will not likely break within a couple of months, however if it does break or more likely, slip tot he point where it melts and then breaks, the battery is the least of your worrys, Overheating is your main problem, if the Waterpump is driven off the same belt. Overheating will stop the engine permanently if carried too far.

Depending on the engine, it may be a 10 min job with no adjustment, if it has a spring tensioner, or at most 30 min.

If the belt shows no great signs of wear or cracks, just tighten it.

Advertisement