Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gays in the trades

Options
  • 21-10-2005 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was chatting recently to a gay guy who works on a building site.
    It occurred to me that I know loads of gay lads in loads of different jobs, but no one else on a building site.
    Do you think gay men are just not drawn to these kind of jobs of that they avoid them knowing they might not fit in?

-Mike :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

The trades wouldn't traditionally be associated with gay guys. I'd imagine there are a good few gay sparks, chippies and (sorry, I've run out of terms!) but they don't tell ppl they're gay either out of fear or purely because they don't feel they need to tell ppl.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I work/have worked as a "builder". Pluming, electrics, plastering, woodwork, and the like. Builders son's can be queer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

If Triga is anything to go by the trades are full of strapping young gay guys... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Eurocreme have started ripping off the Triga genre now. Hooray for competition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hazimel

The guy who won "Mr. George" on Sunday claims to be a carpenter. Keith was his name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clock

extremeacc wrote:
    I was chatting recently to a gay guy who works on a building site.
    It occurred to me that I know loads of gay lads in loads of different jobs, but no one else on a building site.
    Do you think gay men are just not drawn to these kind of jobs of that they avoid them knowing they might not fit in?

-Mike :)
    yes I think you ar right there is not 2 menny out there

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There are quite a few gay blokes in the building trades, but because the trades are associated with blokish "machoism" and associated homophobia, gay guys would tend to be more closeted and less out to colleagues than, say, a more open minded profession such as media or academia.

I myself had a fling with a very fit and strapping Northern England lad who worked as a brickie here in Dublin some years back. He was completely "straight acting" and not out to his co-workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

JupiterKid wrote:
    There are quite a few gay blokes in the building trades, but because the trades are associated with blokish "machoism" and associated homophobia, gay guys would tend to be more closeted and less out to colleagues than, say, a more open minded profession such as media or academia.QUOTE]

I'm not sure its all down to more open minded professions. Part of it definitely is this presumed "macho" requirement.

I'm sure too though some little part is the type of work; sitting in the library working on your thesis your unlikely to be too conscious that the guy browsig the shelves. However its summer, too hot ( yea like that happens here) so topless, in your snickers sweat forming droplets down your well defined pecs, and the guy screeing beside you is gay: might be uncomfortable. ....:)

(The Builders impressive Eerection Part II tomoro....)

Advertisement