Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Tormentor

• 21-10-2005 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone had a chance to see/hear these boys live? Been listening to their stuff over the past while and its really, really starting to grow on me.

None of this "we still have to play *insert metal genre* cause its still so underground" idealism that most Irish bands seem to have - these guys are pure 80s - Priest, Maiden, etc

Just wonder what other people think of them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yeah they put stuff up in Pimp Your Band a while back. I especially like the band name, though a little bit of experimentation wouldn't hurt with the sound tbh. Good band though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Doc J, aye I do agree with that they do sound formulaic at time, but compared some of the walking abortions of "bands" that litter the scene in Ireland, they are a breath of fresh air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You're just showing your age ;):p

I am proud of being a 21 yr old who time traveled from the 80s to now - I remember back in the day when all this was fields, the internet was just pac man and heavy metal was just....

Ok I am old, Christ sooooo old - roll on Dio :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

saw them in sligo during the summer at whiplash metal festival. From what I remember,If you like that kind of music then you will like them,not my sort of thing though....although drink made it quite enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Seen them a few times and heard the cd, tbh I don't really think it's a breath of fresh air at all! Just because no-one else in the country is doing Iron Maiden impressions doesn't make it fresh. They're very good musicians but the blatant lack of originality and poor vocals are not my thing at all.

Also, I gave the singer some constructive criticism on another forum, nothing sinister or insulting and they guy starts sending pm's to me telling me to back off and give it a rest! This is after he put up a thread with an mp3 link asking for people opinions! strange chap

Have to disagree Andy - 99% of most Irish bands are trying to be the next Death, etc - there are very few that are trying to be different (not necessarily original - bad choice of words on my part) - I would include ST, yourselves (Revile), etc - bands like that will always stand out against the backdrop of horrendous bands trying to playing death metal/playing 1000 notes a minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Have to disagree Andy - 99% of most Irish bands are trying to be the next Death, etc - there are very few that are trying to be different (not necessarily original - bad choice of words on my part) - I would include ST, yourselves (Revile), etc - bands like that will always stand out against the backdrop of horrendous bands trying to playing death metal/playing 1000 notes a minute
    Hmmmmm I see its diffrent up here in Fermanagh than what your used to, every band does at LEAST one maiden/metallica covers, and their own songs are just trying to be maiden, and its simply boring as sin, theres not a single decent death metal band in Fermanagh, with the possable exception of Electric Toaster, but they dont take themselves too seriously to say the least.

Pugsley check out http://www.metalireland.com/thebands.html - small selection of bands both north and south of the border, if you get a chance give most of who is listed a listen

Advertisement