Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PWMIC/MOSFET running Hot - Normal?

Options
  • 21-10-2005 6:31pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've a Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D and am running a dual core athlon (see sig) - motherboard monitor and nVMonitor both report the PWMIC (which i now understand to be the mosfet) at 52 degrees - spikingto 55 under load. (nVmonitor calls it "system" which is why I got mobo monitor cos it wouldn't make sense for my case to be hotter than cpu considering case air is being used to cool the cpu)

Is this anything to be worried about? I think it might have something to do with the air from the cpu being blown directly onto them and the IDE cable (no choice) perhaps reducing airflow..if you look at the pic on this link they are the 3 grey heatsinks 2 inches south of the main socket..

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/DFI/LPNF4UD/images/board.jpg

Any clue as to whether the temp of 50+ is normal or is something up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

55 degrees is nothing to worry about, my mates socket 478 mobos mosfets used to run@ 80 degrees + with an overclocked prescott for about 6 months and no problems until i got him decent watercooling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

What cooling do you have on your processor? As long as a little bit of airflow is getting to the mosfets you should be fine.

That's one of the problems with watercooling, your mosfets get no airflow. As long as youre not using wate cooling I wouldnt worry about their temp.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Using stock cooler which i think is part of the prob - thinkin maybe the hot air from the heatsink is blowing on them.

But if 55 is nothing to worry about then thats grand.

Cheers folks.

Advertisement