Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Three things that made my day

Options
  • 21-10-2005 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

All took place yesterday evening. I had to go over to Rathfarnham during rush hour so decided to save time and cycle. At a set of light on Dorset street I was waiting at a red light, as was another cyclist. As the light went green we took off and a driver who’s light had gone red decided to break it. As he flew past in front of us the cyclist spat a huge one right at the car and through the drivers open window and into his face. The driver just screeched to a halt and jumped out, the look on his face was priceless. He started to shout but the cyclist was long gone. I caught up with him at the lights and had a chat with him. He says he does it quite often to drivers breaking lights. Second thing was watching a mother in a 5 Series Touring accelerate to an amber light as I could see a motorbike cop at the other lights. Her light went red and she ripped through it and straight away the cop put on his siren. Now , the third thing I caused myself. All the way over to the southside I had to deal with drivers ignoring any cycling lanes on my route. On the return I came up to a junction where there was three lanes and a cycle lane but the far left lane they decided to split in two taking out the cycle lane. So I had to use the footpath to get past the cars. When I got to the front I waited for the light to turn green and then just waited when the light turned green, blocking the traffic as they all beeped like crazy. The lights went red again and I just crossed at the pedestrian lights. A little selfish I know but I felt it was time for some payback.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Okkkkk!!!! :rolleyes:
    Are you 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

No, I'm a bit older. I just don't like bad driving. So are you a 12 year old looking for a friend or just a member of N.A.M.B.L.A?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

LOL, don't mind Nuttzy. He probably just needs to get laid.

Nice one. Like the spitting into that dudes face, classic!!! I thought you were going to say the other cyclist went spit/splat across his bonnet but that was better :) Must give that a try sometime the next time i'm on a bike

*test spits on keyboard* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Wish I had of seen that :) Wonder what the woman with the 5 Series Touring said to the bike cop? heh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

kerbdog wrote:
    Wonder what the woman with the 5 Series Touring said to the bike cop?
    ....probably something along the lines of "how dare you, you insulent little man, don't you know I'm from Castleknock*?"

*no offence to anyone from Castleknock, had to pick a suburb with a large per capita number of BMWs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

"Schadenfreude" - a malicious satisfaction in the misfortune of others. You must be very proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fx you'd have felt differently if your actions had caused a driver to loose his bearings and crash I'm sure.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I had a friend who had a neat trick for any tool who opened their car door on him / deliberately forced him off the road. He'd remove his quick release seat/seatpost and smash their mirror or lights as he rode past when they stopped in traffic further down the road. Having been hit by cars on my bike 4 times (including once while stationary on the side of the road waiting for the lights to change) I think this is a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Must be some sight watching your mate do that in such a short space of time. Does he have Jedi powers/p0w4h?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

The spitting thing isnt cool. Pretty frickin minging.
    The second thing I love to see :) Doesnt happen enough though (the getting caught bit).
    Third thing would just annoy me - as a cyclist and a driver, that's just a huge lack of respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Not that I'd do either thing to piss off other road users but if someone did either the mirror thing or the spitting on me I would of caught him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

If cars are parked in the cycle lane, give 'em a kick, that's always good fun. Always happens in Templeogue Village, just the other day there was a spotless E270 CDI parked in it, so me cycling by kinda drags my filthy runner along the wing, very lightly as to not cause damge, but enough to make it not spotless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

ROFLAO

And some people say this country isn't going to the dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Always carry a jar of Vaseline with you if your'e going in for this sort of activity.

It'll make it a bit less painful when some motorist catches you and sticks your pump up your arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The pump is too conveniently shaped for a group as overtly homosexual (and devoid of humour) as cyclists. It's the bicycle itself that should be lodged up their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Squirrel wrote:
    If cars are parked in the cycle lane, give 'em a kick, that's always good fun.

No it isnt, if someone is parking illegally you should ring the gardai not commit a crime yourself.

Spitting in someones face is just ignorance and lowered the cyclist to the level of the offending motorist.

Nuttzz wrote:
    No it isnt, if someone is parking illegally you should ring the gardai not commit a crime yourself.

Spitting in someones face is just ignorance and lowered the cyclist to the level of the offending motorist.

I don't actually mean damge the car, leave a muck mark. And what are the Guards gonna do, tell you to piss off

Edit: @Ken Shabby: I only cycle because I'm not old enough to drive, and I take offence at being called homosexual for cycling

If motorists were to take up that sort of action we could,
    spit or kick cyclists for having no helmet no lights no bell no high vis vest using pedestrian lights cycling on the footpath holding on to the side of moving vehicles weaving no hand signals.;)

Anyone got any more:)

69 mustang wrote:
    If motorists were to take up that sort of action we could,
    spit or kick cyclists for having no helmet no lights no bell no high vis vest using pedestrian lights cycling on the footpath holding on to the side of moving vehicles weaving no hand signals.;)

Anyone got any more:)

So that means that cyclists with helmets, lights, high - vis vests, using cycle lanes, using hand signals will be left alone? Then why have I been punched while cycling, smacked with car doors, badly concussed because of this and the person still trying too press charges against me for damaging her door?

In an ideal world there'd be no problems, but it's not ideal and because of this small discretions are made, big ones with damage should be clamped down on, but no-one will

69 mustang wrote:
    cyclists having no helmet no lights no bell no high vis vest, using pedestrian lights cycling on the footpath holding on to the side of moving vehicles weaving no hand signals.;)
    True Squirrel but I've seen more of the above than not. The Guards need to crack down on the stealth cyclist as its not safe.
    As I know us motorists are easier to get money out of,
    I think unseen unsafe cyclists should have there bike taken from them till they get the proper equipment and or pay the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Stealth cyclists.

Yeah, Right they're hardly inconspicuous, if you can't see them what hope has a kid got.

I'm not a cyclist, thank god, and they have on occasion pissed me off. And some of them are up their own hole (as if evident here). But they haven't really put my life in danger, so I'm generally nice to them while in the car or on the motorbike, give them loads of room, use a bit of caution. If they do something stupid/ignorant I don't punish them, I don't drive the car within inches of them, I don't creep up beside them and then pin the throttle to 12000 revs. I just avoid the stupid feckers and get on with it.

I do the same with car drivers, somebody’s done something to me that could have taken my life away, its a monthly occurrence. I don't flip out and do u-turns and chase them down dual carriageways and force them off the road with the intentions of pulling them from their car for a chat... anymore.

Life sucks, then you die. There is no point in running around avenging evils and dispensing justice. Never hear the whole "Eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind?"

You mess up the side of a fancy Merc, a couple of days later a cyclist gets run off the road into a ditch. Somebody takes a mirror off a car, somebody gets run over. Then you start burning out cars in cycle lanes, then people start shoving cyclists into burning cars in cycle lanes.

Also spitting on people is not good, that kind of crap pisses people off. That guy is driving around in three tonnes of cyclist crushing machinery with a chip on his shoulder. You guys are damned vunerable and if people wanted to they could start picking you off and getting away with it without much difficulty. "Irisih Times - Gardaí are appealing for witnesses, body of a cyclist found on the side of the road, minutes after apparently being stuck by a vechile." Or just nudge them off the road into a street sign so it looks like they just crashed all by themselves.

Your soft and squishy and can't change speed or direction very quickly, have very little grip and don't leave big dents. You'd better remember it.

Quarter tonne motorcycles don't leave especially big dents, you need to have the patience of a saint to survive out there. I'm getting there.

By all means when you get a car turn into an absolute bastard but for the time being remember your life is not precious.

th_Crash-2.jpg
    Squishy's Nil.
    Solids 382,749,698,382 and counting.

Also, Mustang, if unsafe cyclists should have thier bicycles taken away should that apply to all road users. I would be in favour. =] Although the Gardaí would need to doulbe thier numbers just to have enough personnel to drive all of the confiscated vechiles to... where... Louth I guess.

As for cyclists crossing with pedestrians. In certain circumstances it is safer for them to break red lights and I am fully supportive of them doing this. Its safer for them and it means us in cars get to get off the line when the lights go green and not minutes later, also it means if you want to turn left your not going to have to stay put until all the cyclists have come up your inside to go straight on as forced by cycle lanes.

Some rules are made to be bent or ignored complelty depending on the circumstances. I tend to observe the spirit of them all while in the car but the bikes a different animal so different rules, even if I had to write and enforce them myself. =]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

FX Meister wrote:
    Now , the third thing I caused myself. All the way over to the southside I had to deal with drivers ignoring any cycling lanes on my route. On the return I came up to a junction where there was three lanes and a cycle lane but the far left lane they decided to split in two taking out the cycle lane. So I had to use the footpath to get past the cars. When I got to the front I waited for the light to turn green and then just waited when the light turned green, blocking the traffic as they all beeped like crazy. The lights went red again and I just crossed at the pedestrian lights. A little selfish I know but I felt it was time for some payback.
    By your own logic then it would have been perfectly acceptable for one of the drivers stuck behind you to get out of the car, go up to you, and spit in your face, and maybe give your bike a kick too. If that had of happened would you have accepted that it was fair and justified ?

saobh_ie wrote:
    Stealth cyclists.
    Yeah, Right they're hardly inconspicuous, if you can't see them what hope has a kid got.

I just avoid the stupid feckers and get on with it.

Also, Mustang, if unsafe cyclists should have thier bicycles taken away should that apply to all road users. I would be in favour. =] Although the Gardaí would need to doulbe thier numbers just to have enough personnel to drive all of the confiscated vechiles to... where... Louth I guess.
    =]

Shortened this down a bit as I wasn't too sure who you agreed with.
    On the first bit kids don't cycle on unlit narrow roads every dark &or wet eve or morning with no lights or hi vis gear ADULTS do.

Secondly you can only avoid what you can see. Cars have lights motorbikes have lights and often high vis.{picture this} On a wet dark road not too narrow but with no path or lay by {Celbridge road for one} car with full beams on coming one way man in black on bike on your side you can't see him even if your going 20mph less than the sign says SPLAT CRUNCH, your life ruined his life gone for the sake of a FIVE EURO hi vis vest,and a 30 euro lid to stop his head becoming a fur covered mush:)

And third taking the bike of the offenders is, as they have no reg plate for fines and maybe no ID:D

mike65 wrote:
    Fx you'd have felt differently if your actions had caused a driver to loose his bearings and crash I'm sure.

Mike.
    I doubt stopping a car from moving off from a standing position would cause any sort of a crash. If someone loses thire bearings while stopped at a red light and crashes I would laugh at them, nothing else. Think about it before you reply to a post.

I'm a motorist, cyclist and I've been a biker in the past. All the above break the rules. That doesn't mean you have to put up with it. If I take a stand it makes me feel better and I don't really care what others think. I know that I take more consideration for cyclists when driving. I can't stand cyclists who don't use lights when it's dark and don't use hand signals. I give cyclists **** for not having lights and the Gardaí should too.
    Today I was nearly run over by a 206 at O'Connell bridge speading through a red light. Luckily I jumped back out of the way but I also had enough time to put a serious boot into her rear door leaving a pretty heafty dent. Maybe next time she will think twice about running red lights at speed, maybe she won't. I feel better for getting one over on a prick of a motorist. I've been criticised in the past here for the way I drive but I've never put someone else life in danger or caused a nusiance to general traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

FX Meister wrote:
    If I take a stand it makes me feel better and I don't really care what others think.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder#A_Three-Factor_Model_of_Psychopathy

(I'm aware of the irony.)

Yeah, wow that's me down to a T Ken Shabby, it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Are you going to sort out the country's bad drivers, one door dent at a time? That's mindless vandalism, despite how it makes you feel. For all you know she could have been held up by a pedestrian bent on petty revenge a few sets of lights before that and, though she knew it was selfish, felt like it was time for a little payback.

Do you think she'll be more or less considerate of pedestrians now that you, in your one man fight for the forces of good, have kicked a dent in her bodywork? Likewise with the cars parked on the cycle lane, can't you just see them thinking today how they must leave more room for cyclists to get ahead of them at the lights and hold them up?

You are as at least as bad as any of the motorists in your examples as you are serving to perpetuate the lack of courtesy for other roads users, and in some ways you are worse; they aren't in here complaining about behaviour such as this, whereas you are, while simultaneously boasting about the vandalism and downright ignorant behaviour you engage in yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well I have a solution to this argument of bikes -v- cars. Combine the two (no not motor bike...
    01large.jpg

Yes that is a V8 Hemi engine on that thing. For the full story go below...
    http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2005/10/stories/15/1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FX Meister wrote:
    I doubt stopping a car from moving off from a standing position would cause any sort of a crash. If someone loses thire bearings while stopped at a red light and crashes I would laugh at them, nothing else. Think about it before you reply to a post.

Okay consider this in your self-rightous anger, when stopped at lights many ppl have a habit of sitting with first engaged and the foot on the clutch pedal
    suppose a gobby cylcists actions caused the foot to slip (its a bit of a shock to have some scum bag spew in your face) and the cars lurches forwards into either the guy in front, or if the first car into the path of crossing pedestrians or car going crossways? Actiosn have conseqences - sometimes for the totally innocent.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Just ignore it, sorry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement