Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS vs PSP

Options
  • 21-10-2005 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Alot of arguments started off when these 2 hand helds were announced, none of them picked back up after the release of both, mainly because i reckon at this stage both are completley different, i personally dont think DS can compete with PSP, but with the PSP's poor lineup = its not living up. DS games look much more fun,
    anyway topic made since i came across this on Kotaku.com

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3632796742315484146&q=psp+ds

i dont find it funny, bit sad, but humour nonetheless, music editing is good.
    Some exagerrated facts.

famitsumarketdata.jpg
    Japenese market research for early October.
    PSP figures seem low but then again DS came out earlier and at this stage has tons more games, specially ones that appeal to JAP market.
    that 1st one is PS2, still high :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Game Boy Micro isn't doing that bad. XBox is a bit of laughing stock in those charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

yeah id be worried about X360 sales, hope it doesnt die a dreamcast death.
    As for micro, its amazing theyd buy pretty much the same console, although i myself am feeling like picking one up, looks quite swift.
    Kristin%20Cavalleri.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

The X-box is a laughing stock in Japan and, sadly, one of the main reasons for this is its looks and size. Don't let that chart convince you it didn't do well in europe and the US.

The new one's prettier anyway ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i wouldn't worry about the xbox360's sales. It will do well in America and when Hironobu Sakaguchi starts releasing his new RPG games it will hopefully spark sales in Japan.
    The X-box is a laughing stock in Japan and, sadly, one of the main reasons for this is its looks and size. Don't let that chart convince you it didn't do well in europe and the US.

Well it really doesn't have the games. Other than Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden it doesn't have anything to appeal to the jap market.

As for the DS vs. PSP, well they are both worthy machines. Both have quite a few excellent games at the moment. For me I prefer the DS. The biggest reason is also the reason I haven't bought a PSP yet. The price. It may be 254 for a new PSP but with a game a a 1 gig mem stick which is required for full functionality the price soars to over 500 euros. 175 will get you a DS and game.
    Games wise both have just as many great games but I think the DS has a few games better than the PSP. Meteos, Nintendogs, Castlevania and Advance Wars are just that little bit better than anything the PSP offers at the moment. However the PSP does have the better functionality and looks a look cooler which appeals to the people who bought the iPod over the Zen. I however would buy the machine based on games. I bought the DS at launch and regret it since it didn't have the games. The PSP launch was an awful lot stronger. However recently the DS has got some fantastic games and the line up looks great. For me the price and games means the DS is the best choice. However whatever you buy you won't be disappointed.

As for the GBA micro, my voice of rationality says I really shouldn't want one but it's just so cute!

i heard meteriod still isnt released and if im not wrong theres a cell shaded zelda in the making, for the DS? this will sky rocket the sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

"Loading Dropkick..."

Hahahaha! Very good.

I'm afraid that if I enter into any proper dialogue here I may be banned for Fanboyism. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Placebo wrote:
    i heard meteriod still isnt released and if im not wrong theres a cell shaded zelda in the making, for the DS? this will sky rocket the sales.

Metroid still hasn't been released but will be fully online when it is shortly. I'm a bit worried about single player mode. It's being made by another company that isn't retro studies and have yet to prove themselves. I hope they can live up to the franchise. There is a DS zelda in developement but I'm not sure if it is cel shaded or not. Control system is supposed to be something special. The designer said the stylus will be used to touch and feel objects, whatever that means. And lets not forget the first online mario kart coming out before christmas for the DS (if you ignore the warp-pipe Double Dash mod).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Retr0gamer wrote:

I bought the DS at launch and regret it since it didn't have the games.

......However whatever you buy you won't be disappointed.

I have both, and since Sept. 1st the DS has served as nothing but a paper weight. And a pretty good one at that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Placebo wrote:
    the zelda isnt cel shaded
    i love zelda and it dosnt matter to me what type of graphics they do it in

Jammer wrote:
    I have both, and since Sept. 1st the DS has served as nothing but a paper weight. And a pretty good one at that...

Buy castlevania and advance wars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I got my DS in December and my PSP in February I think, the DS games I had all seemed good at first but were gimmicky and quickly lost appeal. I haven't touched it in ages, although I do plan to get around to getting my hands on Advance Wars at some point and Pac n Roll is tempting me.

The PSP on the other hand I've played lots and lots. It's got a wide variety of games although there hasn't been one big game that I've played to death. I've played around with emulators lots, Mercury is probably the game I played most, I also dabbled with Ridge Racer when I first got it but that got boring, Burnout is as great on PSP as every other console, I've dabbled with Virtua Tennis, Wipeout(never liked the series so just got a lend off a friend), TOCA, at the moment I'm actually playing NFL Street, which isn't exactly a title I'd buy a console to play, but it is a lot of fun and it wouldn't be as good on DS.

I'm currently eagerly awaiting Liberty City Stories on PSP and Civ 4 on PC, their the only games coming soon on any machine that really interest me at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

I've owned both and far prefer my PSP. Even though its newer, it has a far better catalogue of games.

Advance Wars was the only game I truly liked on my DS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I bought the DS on the day of release with WarioWare and was extremely pleased with it, since then I've got Another Code, Yoshi Touch & Go, Ridger Racer, Advance Wars and Nintendogs, all of which have been a delight to play thanks to the ingenious use of the stylus. I bought the DS as it was something different, a new way to interact with games as I was starting to lose my interest in all gaming due to repetitive gameplay/near identical controls, sequel after sequel after seq.. you get the idea. I love the DS!.

I bought a PSP on the day of launch with Virtua Tennis, meh, the graphics were nice but it's nothing I didn't already play on my Dreamcast six years ago. I brought it back a week later and got my money back (mainly because of the insane amount of dead pixels - 15) as I was damn bored with it, it brings nothing new to the table that the PS2 hasn't already provided, except premium prices for sub PS2 quality games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

DS seems to be good on the face of it but with PSP's UMD/mem stick capabilities mixed with the raw power it has, it's not much of a competition.

especially when you merge the psp with all the emulators/roms now

DS seems to be good on the face of it but with PSP's UMD/mem stick capabilities mixed with the raw power it has, it's not much of a competition.

especially when you merge the psp with all the emulators/roms now

I don't think power has anything to do with the quality of the games. There isn't really anything on the PSP that couldn't be done on the PS2. there are plenty of identical PS2 ports coming. However emulation is a great point which I failed to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spritey

It really depends what you want from the systems.

I've had my DS since last December and I loved it then, I still love it now. I adore the games that I have for it (Mario 64, Zoo Keeper, Mr Driller and now Nintendogs) and I've had a lot of fun out of them, I just haven't bought many more recently (Nintendogs being the exception but I've owned that for all of a week) The DS is a gamer's machine.

The PSP however is more than a gamer's machine, and to me, that means they appeal to different markets. I've only had my PSP a relatively short while but I love being able to play the likes of Streets of Rage 2 on it, Final Fantasy V... brings back memories that's for sure.. good old emulators. I got addicted to Ridge Racer, but none of the other games have inspired me as yet, still waiting to get hooked on Lumines. The PSP is great to play around with too though, and I do love that aspect.

I personally don't use the video/music feature on the PSP. Perhaps I should, but I've not had the need to to be honest. If I'm on a long journey I tend to read a book - vintage, I know ;) (for what it's worth, "A Long Way Down" by Nick Hornby is excellent, as is "Superchick" by Stephen Martin)

So for me, it's the games that it comes down to. And they're equal in that respect. The DS has loads of great games out now, or on the horizon... the PSP's current lineup leaves a bit to be desired though - but it's not had time to get off the ground here yet. When Final Fantasy appears I'll be more than happy. Can't wait for Mario & Luigi on the DS though either......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

you're right, a lot of porting is going on with psp. but i like the idea of playing gta on the bus or in college. some of the original titles are fantastic though - lumines for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I was faced with the same debate recently. I mean the psp looks cooler, nicer graphics etc and I was kind of tempted by the functionality, but I already have a hd mp3 player, wasn't tempted to buy movies on umd that I already have on dvd. I know you can rip them to divx and stick them on your mem stick to watch them, but I can do that with my treo already. So for me the multifunctionality was not really part of the debate. I was choosing purely on games.

Also I didn't like the fact that the initial cost was going to be in or around $500. Quite alot of money for a hand held imo.

Anyway back to the games, there wasn't really much on the psp I was going to go for, I mean I was kind of interested in Wipeout and Virtua Tennis though I already own the originals, and have played them to death. I went for the ds because there seemed to be something new/different about alot of titles. So for my initial investment I got the ds + 4 games for under $250.

I'm loving it. Bought Castlevania, Meteos and Phoenix Wright(and Golden Sun on GBA). Fantastic titles, I'm looking forward to getting Trauma Center, Kirby's Canvas, Advance Wars DS, Nintendogs and Mario64. There seem to be a good few in the pipeline as well and, if like me you didn't have a gba, there's an entire back catalogue of games there to play as well.

And finally, Mario Kart DS. Wireless multiplayer Mario Kart :) Just thinking about this gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bought both systems and in fact sold my original ds to buy a PSP, a couple of months later flogged my PSP and bought a ds again!
    I was sick of paying good money to import games for the PSP and finding they were almost straight ports of games I had already bought on the PS2, where were the otiginal titles?
    And for a couple of weeks I had a very expensive paper weight with only homebrew emus to break the boredom.
    My DS on the other had gets daily play on both DS and Advance games,
    a spot of Nintendogs or electroplankton followed by Supermario3 or AdvanceWars, its a great machine and I am not worried about the screen getting scratched and its size, both of media and console, make it portable proper too.
    Don't get me wrong the PSP is a lovely piece of kit but developers seem to be really really lazy in simply porting over 90% of the games from its homebased brother. I will, said that buy one next year for GT4mobile.
    The DS will have plenty of novel games to keep my occupied til then, Mario Kart, Metriod etc. And not too mention the money saved in selling the PSP and the games means I can also afford a 360 which will distarct me from most other gaming anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

I'e had my DS for a while, and I'm loving it.
    Is there no sign of Kirby: Canvas Curse coming out in Europe soon? It's nowhere in the shops.

• Advertisement

It will be out soon. Definitely before christmas. Check the www.eurogamer.net release dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Does she come with the GB micro Placebo ? :D

...sorry had to be said :o

CC

i personally feel the psp is being let down with the lack of titles.
    i mean i was playing guilty gear xx and that looked amazing, if only psp was to get a few more hardcore titles to get the ball rolling
    Street fighter 3 : third strike
    Original Street fighter 2 etc classics
    Metal Slug series [all in 1 ?]
    Viewtiful Joe [on its way i think]

The line up is awful, more platform jack and daxtor type games, i mean some of the games are awful, frantix ? frogger ? smart bomb ? - JOKE !
    Maybe in time more games will show but at the moment DS looks tempting, that new mario game looks jaw dropping

i think she comes with micro CombatCow , its a specially bundle only, 1000,0000 $

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I have both of them and I'd use my DS almost on a daily basis... (Going to the bathroom takes me a long time, so I need something to keep me interested in there)

When I got my PSP (it was a Jap import) I played Ridge Racer a lot on it, and I was very impressed by the graphics capabilites of it and the lovely quality of the screen. But it really only kept me interested for about 5 days, then I just left the thing there gathering dust for a few months as there really weren't any other games on it that interested me. I got WipeOut pure just over a month ago, but that didn't hold my interest much either.

I've tried putting emulators on it.. but they aren't quite fast enough yet. Front Mission is still fun to play on it though.

But I really don't like sports games, and I'm not a big fan of racing games either and that seems to be the bulk of what the PSP is offering.

I'm really looking forward to some decent RPGs for the thing.. anyone know of any?

And a portable version of Ico would be lovely.

And with the DS even during that big drought of DS games between the launch and now I was able to play lots of classic GBA games on it. I'm playing through Warioland at the moment actually. So the DS is definitely a lot more fun for me anyway... and Animal Crossing DS is the game I'm most looking forward to at the moment.

monkeyfudge I'm awaiting decent RPGs too... the FFVII spinoffs should be arriving before too long, so whilst for me my PSP is in a bit of a lull I expect it not to last too long (the same was also true for my PS2 when I first got it, at which point my brother played it most of the time and I settled for kicking ass as King in Tekken 3, but now I have too many RPGs and not enough time for it!).

There are a couple of RPGs on their way, have a look at www.videogamesplus.ca , the names escape me, but there are a couple that look interesting, and if you've not heard of that company they're bloody excellent for future reference!

I wasn't too enthralled with Wipeout Pure either, perhaps I should've played that before Ridge but it just never took me in really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

There both so different its really hard to compare them. Taking away all the extras that the psp can do (including good fast emulation) It seems to me to be suffering with the problem of too many racing and puzzle games. The ds dosnt look so great when compared graphics wise but the variety of games on it is impressive and theres more good ds games than there is good psp games.

I personally think the psp is doomed its just too easy to run pirated games on it which is going to eat into the sales which are already falling behind the ds all around the world.

When the big games like gta and mario kart come out im sure both will start looking good but at the moment its just too early to say if one is better than the other so if youve got the money get both but wait till the big name games come out otherwise youll just have some nice looking handhelds that run some nice tech demos on your desk gathering dust like me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i like both but dont own any
    if i had to spend the money think id get the PSP atm. was playingsome emu's on my mates one the other day.... the idea of chrono trigger and secret of mana on the move is probably going to make me get one when its cheap(er)

Yip but you need to have 1.50 firmware for that (luckily I do) - yes you can downgrade but the situation there is rocky, I heard tell that you only downgrade by say 99% and when you upgrade again you lose your wi-fi capabilities at least in part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Placebo wrote:
    Viewtiful Joe [on its way i think]

It is. There's also a Katamari game on the way, last I heard, among other things (can't recall the rest)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well y'all can hold out for katamari on the psp, I will be awaiting Super Monkey Ball DS, sweet!
    And of course the PSP isn't doomed, its a cracking machine, just that the software hasn't as yet matched the innovation of its design and capabilities yet, when it does it will be a must have, but then, so will the DS as more and more innovative games appear for it.
    Of course, you can't really give them away in Ireland at the mo.
    The PSP will be sold out by late Nov early Dec but no such rosey christmas is ahead for the DS I fear, no one is buying hardware or software, Nintendogs is an amazing game and the top seller for the DS but it still can't hold a match to the sales of games on the PSP already. Retailers will slowly deplete the shop floor space set aside for the console to the point of getting rid of it altogether. And I will probably cry around then, but on the inside.

Advertisement