Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 Military parade to be reintroduced

Options
  • 21-10-2005 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1021/fiannafail.html
    The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has announced that the military parade to commemorate the 1916 Rising is to be re-introduced from next Easter Sunday.

Mr Ahern said the parade would commemorate the Volunteers of 1916 and of the War of Independence and proclaim the republicanism of the people of this State

Mr Ahern also told the opening session of the Fianna Fáil Ard Fhéis in Killarney that the Government is establishing a 1916 Centenary Committee to begin planning for a major centenary celebration of the 1916 Rising in 11 years time.

Nice to see that the real army will be taking back the Easter parades...Gerry and co can go "celebrate" down the falls instead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Nuttzz wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1021/fiannafail.html

Nice to see that the real army will be taking back the Easter parades...Gerry and co can go "celebrate" down the falls instead

I CANT WAIT TIL EASTER!!!!!!:D thats good to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

I wonder was this one of P.O'Neill's conditions....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This should prove interesting with some of the folk who are ashamed of their history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 breandan

Id imagen its in part at least a sign of worry by some within FF at the 'rise of SF' and this may be a way of taking back Republicanism and thus votes from SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

breandan wrote:
    Id imagen its in part at least a sign of worry by some within FF at the 'rise of SF' and this may be a way of taking back Republicanism and thus votes from SF.
    Aye. This sounds like it, mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

1916 deserves remembrance. Lets face it - It has been hijacked by SF/IRA.

I see nothing wrong reminding Adams & Ferris - there is only one army in this state.

The time is now right to remember 1916. Many countries across the world remember events in history - we are not breaking any new ground here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Cork wrote:
    1916 deserves remembrance. Lets face it - It has been hijacked by SF/IRA.

I see nothing wrong reminding Adams & Ferris - there is only one army in this state.

The time is now right to remember 1916. Many countries across the world remember events in history - we are not breaking any new ground here.

How could it have been hijacked by SF/IRA it was their Rising FFS.

At the time they were the only Irish Army.

We should always have remembered it. It was a glorious deed. It was not a thing to hide and be ashamed of.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hagar wrote:
    How could it have been hijacked by SF/IRA it was their Rising FFS.

At the time they were the only Irish Army.

We should always have remembered it. It was a glorious deed. It was not a thing to hide and be ashamed of.

not it wasn't, it was our rising, they didn't exist at the time and are far from being able to claim direct lineage...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

Hagar wrote:

Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭thegent

I really think Berty only cares about votes and ways to get them.
    I remember years ago watching the 70th anniversary parade (I think) I could be mistaken forgive me if I am but was that the only one since the 50th or was it an annual thing at one stage. If so what happened why was it stopped?

• Advertisement

why was it stopped?

They was a danger itwould as a vehicle for justification for terrorism, carnage and propaganda.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

thegent wrote:
    I really think Berty only cares about votes and ways to get them.
    I remember years ago watching the 70th anniversary parade (I think) I could be mistaken forgive me if I am but was that the only one since the 50th or was it an annual thing at one stage. If so what happened why was it stopped?

that was the 75th in 1991, when we had a small parade, the last one before
    that was 1970, it was discontinued as soon as the 'troubles' started in '69 as the then government were worried it implied support for terrorism..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, why not. I'm sick of SF hi-jacking historical events for their own purposes (and also their cynical use of the Irish language but I'll save that for some other thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Personally Im glad to hear its on its way back.. i hope the get it right this time around... It used to be very nationalistic and closed. Hopefully they will try to imitate the european styled French bastile day (of course on a far smaller scale).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Squaletto

simu wrote:
    Yeah, why not. I'm sick of SF hi-jacking historical events for their own purposes (and also their cynical use of the Irish language but I'll save that for some other thread).

Finally the Irish Government has woken up to the need of true Irishmen and Women to celebrate the destruction of Dublin and the killing of fellow Irishmen along with the poor British conscripts on the dreary streets of the then United Ireland in an effort to shake off the shackles of British Imperialism. Horray for the peacemaker Bertie. That said I do recall the fact that the Rebels were actually TERRORISTS if one were to go by the media reports of the day. How ironic, today a government well known for its mantra against criminality and terrorism, supporting a parade which celebrates terrorism!!!! Could only happen in Ireland!!!
    I wonder if Mc DOOdawl will preside over the whole affair. Now that would be something to see given his outburst about Pearse being a convicted terrorist!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I agree that this is a very political move by FF to reclaim the republican title that those in SF/IRA have hijacked.

The provisional movement born in the last 40 years cannot claim lineage to 1916.

Now, I don't really care for this sort of miltiary triumphalism thing-it's as cringe inducing to me as the brits and their recent Trafalgar celebrations or the Russians and their various excuses to wheel out missiles on to Red Square, but if we are to celebrate stuff like this then I'd prefer they picked the day the Republic of Ireland act came into force, thus declaring this 26 counties to be a republic called 'Ireland'. Remember, the proclamation read in 1916 claimed the whle island and we no longer accept that as valid as it is not accepted by a sizable minority of this island's inhabitants. Up until that act came into being, we were still a crown dominion, not a republic, so what are we celebrating exactly? It was a failed rbellion after all, just like the ones before it. It was a treaty signed after the later war of independence that set tis country on the road to becoming a republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭thegent

aha but its ok to do it now that the ira has decomissioned. thanks.

I don’t think Sinn Fein hijacked the day if the government were too scared to celebrate the day because they didn’t want to be seen as supporters of terrorism. no Irish person should be ashamed to commemorate the Easter rising least of all the Irish government.

murphaph wrote:
    I'd prefer they picked the day the Republic of Ireland act came into force
    You'd prefer to see the day that saw partition sealed for the following 100 years celebrated?

Diorraing wrote:
    You'd prefer to see the day that saw partition sealed for the following 100 years celebrated?
    Hopefully longer.

Diorraing wrote:

100 years? Depends on the people of NI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

There are a lot of hypocrites posting on this thread,they call todays Republicans terrorists for fighting British Rule but Republicans in 1916 were heroes for doing the exact same.Murphaph wants Partition to stay but is quite willing to celebrate the use of force to achieve a 32 County Republic in 1916.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Fianna Failure using republicanism as a tool of propaganda, tarnishing the name of our great hero's who fought for our independence. What else will bertie the red and miss piggy throw from the hat. 10,000 Protestors in Killarney says it all. only 18mths to go before these corrupt, traitors are removed and i hope that the replacement government bans the Fianna Fail party and begin bringing those corrupt fianna fail politicians to justice. Fianna Fail are about as in touch with modern society as Bill Gates would be with the Victorian period. The thought of them using the 1916 rising to their vantage is vomit inducing.

hill16 wrote:
    Murphaph wants Partition to stay but is quite willing to celebrate the use of force to achieve a 32 County Republic in 1916.
    What fcuking post were you reading? Please show me where I said, or even implied that "I'd be quite wiling to celebrate the use of force to achieve a 32 County Republic in 1916". I said if we must celebrate this sort of stuff I'd prefer if it was the foundation of this state as a republic in 1949 as opposed to celebrating a failed rebellion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

netwhizkid wrote:
    Fianna Failure using republicanism as a tool of propaganda, tarnishing the name of our great hero's who fought for our independence.

And what is SF's hijacking of the event the?
    What else will bertie the red and miss piggy throw from the hat. 10,000 Protestors in Killarney says it all. only 18mths to go before these corrupt, traitors are removed and i hope that the replacement government bans the Fianna Fail party and begin bringing those corrupt fianna fail politicians to justice.

So you're a fascist then?
    Fianna Fail are about as in touch with modern society as Bill Gates would be with the Victorian period. The thought of them using the 1916 rising to their vantage is vomit inducing.

How exactly are they using it for their vantage? They're not making it a Fianna Fail rally, they're making it a natioanl rally.
    Squaletto wrote:
    Finally the Irish Government has woken up to the need of true Irishmen and Women to celebrate the destruction of Dublin and the killing of fellow Irishmen along with the poor British conscripts on the dreary streets of the then United Ireland in an effort to shake off the shackles of British Imperialism. Horray for the peacemaker Bertie. That said I do recall the fact that the Rebels were actually TERRORISTS if one were to go by the media reports of the day. How ironic, today a government well known for its mantra against criminality and terrorism, supporting a parade which celebrates terrorism!!!! Could only happen in Ireland!!!
    I wonder if Mc DOOdawl will preside over the whole affair. Now that would be something to see given his outburst about Pearse being a convicted terrorist!!!

I'm a little unclear what the point of this rant is, time makes terrorists heroes, everyone from bomber harris, to washington et all could be seen as terrorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

Can someone please remind me - wasn't the 1916 rising a failure? And I read that the majority of the Irish population at the time didn't want independence because the nation couldn't afford it. Is that true?

I think it's great that Ireland is moveing toward a day of celebrating independence, but wouldn't it make more sense to pick a day when they actually achieved it?

Also - I'm surprised that the more catholic people don't object to this day of renewal and forgiveness being hijacked by a historical date commemorating the invasion of the post office. What - you go to mass with mam, then go to a military parade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I don't get this they were insurgents? as corrupt to the establishment as the IRA are seen today ridiculous

--

10,000 Protestors in Killarney says it all
    ?
    whats this reffering to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

lazydaisy wrote:
    Can someone please remind me - wasn't the 1916 rising a failure? And I read that the majority of the Irish population at the time didn't want independence because the nation couldn't afford it. Is that true?

We declared ourselves a republican in 1949 on the date the rising occured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

if it wasnt for the easter rising, sinn fein wouldnt have won the election after world war 1; if sinn fein didnt win the election there would have been no war of independence; if there was no war of independence, we may not today be living in a free nation. so it should be the nations independence day. to describe it as nothing more than a 'failed rebellion' or something is ridiculous. if it had never happened the ireland of today would be immensly different.

the reason most irish people opposed it at the time was because most irish families had relatives fighting in WW1 and britain claimed the rising was part of a german invasion plan of ireland and the rebels were collaborating with the germans. and also, most people had been led to believe home rule was the greatest amount of freedom ireland could ever hope for (and that this risng had greatly damaged the chances of home rule being granted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I learned my history before being patriotic became a dirty word.

I don't get my Irish history from the Sun, Star and Mirror. With or without the word "Irish" in front of them as a sop to the fools who buy English slanted rags.

I remember the Easter Parade for the 50th Anniversay in 1966. I was at it.

The Irish Army, our Government and our people honoured the men who fought to a standstill the greatest empire the world had ever seen. The Irish Army proudly claimed lineage from those great men who laid down their lives for our freedom. Old men who had fought marched with their heads high and we cheered and clapped and admired them. Nobody was ashamed. There was no thought in anyone's mind other than that we were watching heros pass us by.

The Irish goverment a few years later sold these men down the river in the name of political expediency. Judas took over running the country and is still at it today.

I am as much proud of those men as I am ashamed of our Government.

• Advertisement

Flex wrote:
    if it wasnt for the easter rising, sinn fein wouldnt have won the election after world war 1; if sinn fein didnt win the election there would have been no war of independence; if there was no war of independence, we may not today be living in a free nation. so it should be the nations independence day. to describe it as nothing more than a 'failed rebellion' or something is ridiculous. if it had never happened the ireland of today would be immensly different.

My sentiments exactly. These people who say it was nothing more than a "failed rebellion" are not looking at the broader pictuer, at how it set the wheels in motion for us to gain our full independence.

Advertisement