Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A credit card, with bonus points, air miles or such - exist?

Options
  • 22-10-2005 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I rack up a hefty Visa bill each month. I use the card as if cash, but in six+ years have never paid interest as I have 100% payment for same coming out of my current account at the end of each month.

Therefore, I'm curious - could I be doing better in terms of my spend? I mean, is there any credit card out there, in Ireland, where I get X airmiles for Y spend; or X monetary value for Y spend, or such?

I have an affinity card with BoI which I think results in some cut being given to my old University, but frankly I'd rather get something in my own pocket.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

MBNA have several cards that you can earn points on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

get a tesco visacard and earn clubcard points on everything you spend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Amex Blue gives you 1% of your spend back as a credit on your account once a year - It's a great bonus, and particularly valuable if you are travelling on business (where you earn 1% of your expenses)!

It's not quite as widely accepted as Visa/MC, particularly in small outlets. It's not my only card, but it's certainly my preferred card.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

AIB do a platinum card with monthly cashback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭wrafter

@RainyDay - I was never an Amex fan, Visa has never left me down wherever I'm been worldwide, but I'll look into it. (1% attractive, and good idea re expenses)

@parsi - I'm a BoI, not AIB, so reluctant - but money is money, however "The Platinum Card includes an introductory offer of 0.5% cash back on your purchases for the first 12 months on spends over €5,000 (maximum €50,000). The cash back awards are calculated on a monthly basis and credited to your account on the statement date each month."

I did go E5000+ this month on the card, that's why I'm suddenly so interested in trying to benefit from it, but I don't think it's something I'll be doing more than once in a year (tops!).

Do BoI do anything like this?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You don't have to hit 5k a month - its once you have reached 5k you get cashback on everything else i.e 4 months at 1250 per month and from then on you get cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Re AMEX

Not only is it not widely accepted, but places that will take it* often say "Do you have anything else... visa, mastercard, laser", because they don't get a good deal from their bank

*I'm talking about owner run busineses where the person you pay actuall cares about how the business does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

vector wrote:
    Re AMEX

Not only is it not widely accepted, but places that will take it* often say "Do you have anything else... visa, mastercard, laser", because they don't get a good deal from their bank

*I'm talking about owner run busineses where the person you pay actuall cares about how the business does

Yeah I think the commission that businesses pay are directly charged the 1% of the cashback bonus on top of the normal commission rate that all card companies charge

Advertisement