Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

http irc

• 18-09-2001 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

i've just started college in tallaght IT, i'm posting from there atm. I dunno if the have comps for personal use or not but anyway ure not allowed install **** on the lab computers so can someone gimmie a link for some sorta http irc? They have firewalls on the lab computers aswell i tried to download sumthing to see how fast their connect was. If anyone is going to ITT is there a any lab where u can go to to download mp3's use irc and any of that kinda stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I haven't talked to anyone in IT atm so i don't know if the port is open yet.
    AFAIK these machines have TNT2s and P3s. They seem allright. nice keyboards too, but mice have no scroll wheels :(
    Plenty of women though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

Allo Vinnors. Can't get onto IRC myself with the darn firewall they installed at the office... poo :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Talk to the lads in Compsoc vincent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Share the knowledge Hecate, I'm stuck here in Carlow IT with no IRC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak
    I haven't talked to anyone in IT atm so i don't know if the port is open yet.

AFAIK the port is open now...

-Ross

• Advertisement

I'm just after checking there, 5:46 by my watch, logging into irc.barrysworld.com
    No luck :(

I'll talk to COmputer services in the morning (if they're awake ;) )

Ohyeah, where are the games normally kept? on a remote drive or locally? Would there be any point in putting WinQuake ona CD and bringing it in to run it off the CD?

Does anyone know the System Spec of these PCs in NUIG? CPU, RAM, GFX card especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

i'm in here now and irc works :) i was sure it wasnt', took like 3seconds to get it :) 250k/sec goodness :) i was even playing quake this morning but the pings are bollix 90 to ie 120 to uk. The comps are v.nice 1ghz but they have some piece of ****e gfx card in them not sure what cos i cant get into device manager or control panel :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The ports are open?

Thats unusual, but cool. Ive been in tallaght IT for years and the ports were never open, but then again theyve just rebuilt the network so maybe they havent finished their security additions yet.

Am, which ports are open now?
    I ran the mIRC installer from its location (it was yesterday morning) and installed it to my U: drive.
    Can you download stuff to the C: drive?
    Do any of the Comp Rec ppl browse the boards?

Also, (where) is Quake stored? Email me about that one actually.

as far as i know all ports are open :) the only thing they have from what i see is a program blocking out some websites. I was in two labs today i installed mirc on c:\ in one of the labs and on d:\ in the other lab which is a scratch (deletes files on it on shutdown) and for quake i dl'ed small quake off quake.ie's ftp server, it's only 3megs so it took about 10seconds to get. I installed that into a folder on the desktop and when i was finished with the comp i deleted all the stuff :) i installed msn messager aswell on one of the comps but i installed it in program files and it wouldnt' let me delete it, but it's on loads of computers so doesn't really matter i just got rid of my email addy from the log in. The majority of the comps are very nice 1ghz dell's and 128mb ram, i couldnt' tell what gfx card they had cos the control panel is hidden from us. Was crap whatever it was :(

• Advertisement

If the ports are all open now it's only because they haven't gotten around to closing them. Make the best of it :)

However, 6667 will be staying open AFAIK.

-Ross

ok, this is what i have:
    mIRc installed on my U: drive
    I'm connectin to both irc.quakenet.eu.org on ports 6667-6669(also tried specifying 6667 only), and irc.barrysworld.com at 6667 aswell.
    No go.
    Won't connect.

I Don't seem to have write access to any local drive on any PC
    What labs are you using?
    Is there any way to download files (10megs+ and put em on a CD or something?
    Email me if you want at the above address.

am, it seems I can download stuff to the desktop.
    This is interesting.
    Also, when i said I had only read access to the local C: drive, I was mistaken, it's the Q: drive on Jay, or something.
    Who named the servers btw? Bodkin?
    Is there some historic sentiment behind it?

try irc.b0rk.co.uk for irc still wont work probably but worth a shot. Are there many cd-writers on the computers in tallaght? or will i have to get a zip drive?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You in NUIG now Syxer?

Mail me, robbo@zion.nuigalway.ie if j00 are, Uncle Rob'll sortcha out.

Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak
    am, it seems I can download stuff to the desktop.
    This is interesting.
    Also, when i said I had only read access to the local C: drive, I was mistaken, it's the Q: drive on Jay, or something.
    Who named the servers btw? Bodkin?
    Is there some historic sentiment behind it?

Em, there are hundreds (thousands?) of machines on the network all with various names given to 'em by various people.

There are some groups that follow some kind of naming conventions though. For example, the Computer Services NT LAN fileservers seem to be named after birds: Jay, Wren, etc.; the DEC UNIX machines are named after types of wood: Birch, Ash, Oak, Teal, etc.

-Ross

Fair enuff.
    what comp labs<?> do ye lads stay in? just any or are there a specific few you try and stay in (due to no-one looking over your shoulder while you jack off to donkey pr0n)?
    I wouldn't mind meeting a fw more of ye face to face loike(having allready met Robbo and Phobos)
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aye, it would be interesting to meet people who are intersted in computers here in the NUI :)

most people just hafve a look in my room and go "oh, a computer..." then walk off :)

Back to topic. Has anyone found a site that does online IRC?
    Has anyone in NUIG gotten mIRC to work? If so, what settings, ports, servers were used?

I'm about to start googlin' now for it.
    will post later on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Join the CompSoc!
    www.compsoc.nuigalway.ie

Drink beer, smoke crack, join compsoc.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i was going to on tuesday anyways.
    Any other decent clubs/socs?
    I like just about every decent sort of music under the sun, bar manufactured POP shiot (Westlife, Stained, any form of 'NU ROCK' /me pukes)
    I'm down in the physics Comp lab atm I think. Somwhere at the arse end of the concouse. i have a lecture in 15 mins too.

am, I'm going to post this in relation to web based IRC.
    it would really only apply to NUIG students.

anyways, the address, as given to meh by Rob:

www.sin.nuigalway.ie/chat

Use it wisely freshers (like I can talk)

hum they've started closing ports, irc and msn messager dont seem to work anymore and they've blocked out mirc.co.uk where i was getting mirc, mirc.com is still working but not for long i say :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by Vincent
    hum they've started closing ports, irc and msn messager dont seem to work anymore and they've blocked out mirc.co.uk where i was getting mirc, mirc.com is still working but not for long i say :(

Would you just join the compsoc,
    then you'll find all the answer you need.

Last time i heard IT tallaght's compsoc had external telnet/ssh access, that's all you need.

Just download small quake and mirc to you compsoc webpage, and whatever other files and you'll be sorted.

Also, there's a version of AIM that works through a HTTP proxy.

I'm sure the compsoc people there know all the little tricks to pull.

Good Luck,

- Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The IT Tallaght compsoc provide their own web proxy which should allow you to view most sites. There is no IRC proxy though.

i'll be joining compsoc on societies day which is some day next week i think

I'll be joing the NUIG Comp Soc on Tuesday too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I'm in DIT and can't get through on irc, anything new ? Any way of going around the firewall ? IRC Bounce didn't work the last time I checked. Any luck with irc http ?

Robbo has a whole package zipped up. about 950KB.
    I forget it now, cos it's awkward top remeber.

• Advertisement

Advertisement