Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Backing Up Windows XP Updates

• 22-10-2005 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

How do people?

I'm gonna reformat my PC in the near future and I was wondering if it is possible to back up to CD/ DVD all the XP updates I've downloaded over the months. The thoughts of starting anew and having to download them again is already annoying me :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No need to back them up, just download them all in one big file
    Download http://autopatcher.com/

[edit]Before you even need to ask, yes it is legit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

That's the thing though - I don't want to have to download them all again. I've downloaded all the updates. They're on my machine some where I'd imagine. I'm looking to somehow get them updates on to a CD or DVD, reinstall XP then just insert the CD and VOILA, all the neccessary updates.

I just know life's not that simple tho :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In my windows folder there a folder caller ServicePackFiles with about 500MB in it.

I don't know if you could copy the folder, add in the reg setting to point to int and then install SP2 and hope it figures out the rest..
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327393
    After you change the system state by changing or adding Windows XP components, you do not have to reinstall Windows XP service packs.
    MORE INFORMATION
    When you install a Windows XP service pack, the Update.exe tool performs the following actions:
    The Layout.inf file is updated with an additional source for the Windows XP service pack files. When you change or add components, the Layout.inf file points to the correct source.

The source location is stored in the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ServicePackSourcePath
    The source might be a network share for the Windows XP service pack, the Windows XP service pack CD-ROM, or if you install the Windows XP service pack by using the Express Installation feature from the Web, the %SystemRoot%\Servicepackfiles folder.
    • The Drvindex.inf file is updated to point to an additional .cab file for drivers that are updated in the Windows XP service pack. The .cab file is named Spn.cab (where n is the service pack version number). This file is installed in the %SystemRoot%\Driver Cache\I386 folder.
    • A new Spn.cat file (where n is the service pack version number) is installed for the updated files. This file replaces any previously installed Spn.cat file that was installed with a Windows XP hotfix. The Spn.cat file is installed in the %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} folder.
    • Windows XP service packs also perform version checking on files so that post-Windows XP SPn hotfixes (where n is the service pack number) remain in place. You do not have to reinstall hotfixes after you install the service pack. For example, when you install Windows XP SP1, hotfixes that you installed before you install Windows XP SP1 are updated to the Windows XP SP1 files. Hotfixes that you install after you install Windows XP SP1 are not replaced.
    Note that hotfixes do not update the Layout.inf file. Therefore, if you install a hotfix and system state changes occur, you may have to reinstall the hotfix.

Advertisement