Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good CAD spec ???

• 18-09-2001 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi, I have a mate that is studying Quantity Surveying. He is in the Market for a PC with good CAD capabilities and a budget of £1200'ish. Needless to say a powerfull graphics card is essential.

Anyone know where he could purchase?

PS - He will have nothing to do with a Dell since "they did not show respect last Friday"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm going to take a dive here and reccomend a nVidia card for value for money, maybe a GeForce or some kind? Or a Quadro?
    There is also a way to mod a standard GeForce2 GTS to run as a Quadro2 ;) tis on www.tomshardware.com I think. i'll look for it agin and maybe ost it.
    there's also an Oxygen card but I reckon that might be a bit too pricey, but it is a pure-bred CAD card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

What a CAD PC needs, in order of appearance.

1. Decent Card. Get a GeForce 2 Mx, expensive cards are well and good if you use Solidworks or Pro-E, or are autorouting 12 layer BGA loaded PCBs, but are overkill in most situations.

2. Decent monitor. Not just big, but half decent resolution. 17" is a minimum here, even for Autocad. Squint factor sucks.

3. Wad loads of RAM. I wouldn't run a CAD application on a machine with less than 256Megs of RAM, they're notoriously badly written, and really hog system resources. Besides, RAM is cheap.

4. A good Mouse. Optical, stop you having to de-smeg yer mouse every 4 hours.

5. Something to back up data. One day, this advice will be your best friend.

The great thing about CAD PCs is that they play games really well. Coincidence? I wonder. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

heheh, unless they're college PCs running WinNT :(
    Dunno yet what service pack they ahve,. but some lad played Quake this morning so they can't be all bad, spose they'll run CS in Software (urgh) but ona 20Meg line ( :) )

Advertisement