Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

George Burley resigns

• 22-10-2005 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking news on Radio Clyde. Next Ireland manager???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

any links. This might have something to do with that romanov chap trying to acquire full control of the club tho.
    A baffling decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I thought his Hearts team were doing fantastic (last time I heard anyway). Why did he resign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Still no more info. Press conference at 6.00, Hearts play at 3.00. Paddy Power have taken their odds down for next Ireland manager:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_category&category=SOCCER

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The squad was only informed an hour ago. It seems Burley was hacked off with the new main shareholder as he kept buying players without Burleys input.

I'd say he'll be the next manager of Villa, Everton or even Celtic/Rangers before he goes for a job like Ireland manager.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

ah crap, the SPL looked like it was gonna really be interesting this season, hopefully someone good can take up the job and keep Hearts playing the way they are at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Odd of just 3.6 on Betfair to be next Ireland manager, down from 30.0.

ah man if i wasn't in work, id be down the bookies right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Didn't he leave Derby too after having a falling out with the chairman. Slightly different situation with Hearts I'm sure but it makes me wonder how he'll get on with the FAI...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

7/2 favourite on betfair to be next Ireland manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Shame to see it's come to this. I reckon it's entirely down to the lack of control he would have felt by Romanov's continuous invervention. While I'm hoping this will have a positive effect for the Hibees to have an extra advantage for the Edinburgh Derby next weekend, it really is somewhat refreshing to see that it wasn't simply a table of old firm 1 and 2 then the rest.
    Remains to be seen if normal service will resume to the SPL or if the current trend can be maintained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Disappointed I have to say for Hearts fans , I am also shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Roddy23 wrote:
    ah man if i wasn't in work, id be down the bookies right now.

Didn't you ever hear of Paddypower.com?

no creidt card Lemlin, cheers for the suggestion tho.

Hearts are 2-0 up already.

Doesn't seem to have affected the team too much. 2-0 already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

There'll certainly be no shortage in takers for his signature. I'd fancy him to be in the Premiership before the season is out. Pompey, Villa, Birmingham are a few ones that spring to mind for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Anyone think this is a stunt? Burley able to get out while hearts at the top, reputation high, somebody apparently responsible for his resignation. perfect for a move back into the premiership.

Don't think so, he did the same at Derby. Maybe he just really doesn't like chairmen interfering.

Dave if it is a stunt. Then it is one of the smartest i have ever seen.
    Saying that they were beginning to look like real contenders especially after their draw last weekend. If he was sacked well then Romanov is a fool, because Burley was doing a job nobody had expected.

• Advertisement

Little more to be told about it at this stage, apparently a confidentiality clause.

[URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/4367202.stm[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

My source tells me that he was sacked because he was having an affair with a players wife and got her up the duff :eek: sounds a tad ropey but you never know it could be true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Apparently Burley was not at all pleased at the fact that the owner brought signed two players without Burley having any say. I think any manager would have a right to be pissed off with that. Yes the owner can do whatever he likes with his club but that is interfering with Burley's job and IMO Burley had every right to voice his disapproval.

Hearts' loss will be some other clubs gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

He will be a big loss, credit to the team who must have surely been shocked and completely thrown off, who went out and ground out a result.

As much as I like DO'L (though his repetitive excuses are starting to make me grind my teeth!), I would not be adversed to see him take over the reigns at Villa Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Apparently Burley was not at all pleased at the fact that the owner brought signed two players without Burley having any say. I think any manager would have a right to be pissed off with that. Yes the owner can do whatever he likes with his club but that is interfering with Burley's job and IMO Burley had every right to voice his disapproval.

Hearts' loss will be some other clubs gain.
    And apparently one of those players was Rudi Skacel, wouldn't say Burley wanted to play him at all now? Is that nine or ten now for the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It gets worse.

http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.co.uk/content/default.asp?page=s1_1_1&newsid=9361
    There has been dramatic developments from Tynecastle, with Phil Anderton being sacked as Hearts chief executive and with George Foulkes resigning as chairman.

This is dramatic news - even for Hearts. It was just over a week ago that Hearts' majority shareholder Vladmir Romanov was presenting a united front with Mr Foulkes, but it is all very different now.

George Foulkes has been replcaced by Roman Romanov, Vladmir's son. Roman will also fill the role of chief executive on a temporary basis.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

That guy seems a bit stupid...he should do what Abramovich did and just make the money available, and let the experts make the football descisions.

Burley has a brilliant track record of getting the most out of players...Millwall into Uefa cup..Hearts this season, pretty impressive! Deffenatly the best available option to us as manager...I just hope the FAI can pull it off...im sure he'll be in great demand!

What style of football does he play though? I've never seen much of his teams I don't think. Is he cautios like a Kerr, Gung-ho like a Keegan .. Or somewhere in the middle?

"The Lithuanians tried to twist my arm into going along with sacking Phil Anderton. I find the ruthlessness unacceptable."

- George Foulkes.

Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Man, it's crazy isn't it?!! What a way to b0rk up your investment... he sais he wants a manager and setup that will win european trophies...so that's why he's doing this...putting the cart before the horse really!!

And do you think any manager capable of that is going to take a job that the last guy got fired from after the clubs best start to a season for decades??? :D

Goes to show, sugar daddys aren't always a good thing!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

My sister was in london for the weekend(until today) and on the train, they were sitting in the same carriage as the chairman of hearts(appareantly, but dunno if its to be believed)

She overheard the guy on the phone(douglas smith), who said that bobby robson will be announced as the new manager at hearts!

My sister was in london for the weekend(until today) and on the train, they were sitting in the same carriage as the chairman of hearts(appareantly, but dunno if its to be believed)

She overheard the guy on the phone(douglas smith), who said that bobby robson will be announced as the new manager at hearts!

Can't see that unless Romanov is willing to part with 1 Million Per year. Can't see too many British Managers wanting that job, given the level of interference from the Owners.

Where was she and when?. If it was George Foulkes she was sitting near then I doubt he'll have too much influence on the decision now!.

Haha! What a mad rumour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

She was on the train from london to the airport, said he was at meetings in london to do with the new manager. Id say he was trying to sign Bobby as manager, so...

She was on the train from london to the airport, said he was at meetings in london to do with the new manager. Id say he was trying to sign Bobby as manager, so...

Did he mention Robson's name, and did he actually say he was the Hearts Chairman?.
    What did he look like, because last Monday George Foulkes (who was the Chairman last Saturday) resigned - I seriously can't see Robson taking this post given the recent events.

Looks like Graham Rix is now favoured for the position.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/4411676.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Blackjack wrote:
    Looks like Graham Rix is now favoured for the position.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/4411676.stm

Graham Rix is an awful choice for manager.

Yes he is!. :D

Go on the Hibees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

But choice he is.............

Graham Rix just announced as new Hearts coach !!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/11/07/story229151.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Rix is a bad manager but i think with the way the club has been going that Romanov just wanted a yes man in there to do whatever he told him to do with regards to buying players etc.
    Also a Director of football is expected to be appointed as well so wouldnt expect rix to be doing too much other than training the team

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well it has been anounced that Graham Rix will have absolutely no say when it comes to buying players. His sole job is train and pick the team. I think a manager asbad as Rix would be the only type of person that would be willing to take this ridiculous job

• Advertisement
Advertisement