Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an Attic Stairs Installed

Options
  • 22-10-2005 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've decided to get a stairs installed up to the attic. I read about the Stira ones from their site and they seem to be good. Do any of you know of any other reputable companies doing these installations in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

you can buy diy ones in woodies if you fancy doing it yourself - i think the one we were looking at was €120

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

The woodies ones looked a flimsy to me. We got a Spanish made one from Heitons in Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got a Stira in about 6yr ago. Very high quality. Strong as on ox.

Gets used all the time and no issues with it. Installation time about 2-3hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dfitzer

I bought the one in Woodies for €55 installed it in 2 hours (and I am Not a DIY person). Have been using it fairly regulary for two months now including moving some very heavy stuff up. How often do you plan on using it if it is for access to a room/attic conversion then fine spend that bit extra but if it is just to access storage space then it is perfect, save the 200 euro you are only paying for the name and the fact that it was seen on the late late show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Thanks for all the advice, lads. I think I will go for the Stira. Not because it was on the Late Late :D but because I intend to convert the attic into a home cinema next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Maybe a spiral staricase would be better suited if you intend to have it as a functioning room in your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Shamrok wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice, lads. I think I will go for the Stira. Not because it was on the Late Late :D but because I intend to convert the attic into a home cinema next summer.

A Stira is really only a ladder maybe you should consider a stairs. It will add a lot more value to your property and be easier to use. A sprial stairs can be used if there is the right space. Even at that a full stairs with turns can fit in.

Spending your money on a stairs rather than the cinema system would be a sensible thing to do. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

I agree,
    if you want to use them all the time you have to go for stairs. The others are just a easier form of ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

Parents got a Stira years ago and it was pretty sturdy. Have seen more recent incarnations and they appear to be a bit more light-weight.

Agree with others though - if it's for regular access, forget these attic ladder thingies and somehow fit in a stairs of some description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

I had my stira ripped out last year and stairs put in.

i moved the box room wall back 6 inches - and that then gave enough room for stairs with same width and pitch as the normal stairs, i have one turn of 2 steps at the base of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Obviously stairs are the long term solution, but you'd want to be insulating it fairly sharpish if you're opening up a hole. I'd be interested to know how the stira goes, if there are questions about it's current build strength, as I'm using the loft enough to justify a stira, but not enough to justify stairs (yet).

Advertisement