Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Button on front page ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

*Looks shifty* .... Ya knowwwww..... It'd be.. kinda cool... if there was a special forum for old threads.... Yeah... Sure would.....

*Fains surprise* What's this?! Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Erm, well the random thingy is harder than it sounds because we have so many threads and numbers missing in sequence (due to deletion etc.) you can't just pick a number between 1 and 350000 or whatever - and using a SELECT with the RAND() function in MySQL takes 5 seconds.

So for now what I've done is put a "Thread Of The Day" link in the main boards.ie menu up top - every day a new thread will be selected from the past day's posts. We might increase the duration to the past week or something, but it is random and better to have a recent post than some post from the dead...

J.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Cloud wrote:
    Erm, well the random thingy is harder than it sounds because we have so many threads and numbers missing in sequence (due to deletion etc.) you can't just pick a number between 1 and 350000 or whatever - and using a SELECT with the RAND() function in MySQL takes 5 seconds.
    Ah well, it's not like it was a vital addition to the site.

Cloud wrote:
    So for now what I've done is put a "Thread Of The Day" link in the main boards.ie menu up top - every day a new thread will be selected from the past day's posts. We might increase the duration to the past week or something, but it is random and better to have a recent post than some post from the dead...
    Sexcellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Cloud wrote:

J.
    --

yeah was thinking that alright, takes a good bit of server time to generate a page, especially with this size of site, and i could only imagine how big your sql database is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement