Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Lawlor killed in moscow car crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Reginald Perrin, anyone? :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I wouldn't wish that on any family ,so if for no reason other than for his family I wish them respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

WDK wrote:
    So frickin what the man is dead there is no point of trampling on the mans proverbial grave.
    Well assuming it's in Palmerstown cemetery it might be the only bit of green space left in west Dublin to go for a stroll thanks to this 'hilarious' man.

He showed utter contempt for us when he was alive, I'll be showing the same contempt for him in death-complete tosser. Am I glad he's dead? No, he's done as much damage as he could have done already. I'd prefer it if he'd never been born, but then again we'd probably have hand some other corrupt fcuker do exactly what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

This country is much better without Liam Lawlor and his ilk.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I look forwards to the RTE obit/profile special (tomorrow night?).

Mike.

• Advertisement

Maybe this thread should be moved to personal issues where people can post their commiserations if a discussion of his corrupt life is out of bounds.

Ah for heavens sake.

Discuss all about his corrupt life.I'm just affording him the common decency of respect for the dead mans families grief here.

Theres no need for the ding dong the wicked witch is dead posts.
    Keep it to discussion and reasoned debate as thats the ethos of this board.

The LoL and he's a bollíx one liner posts can go off to somewhere else they are not and never were welcome here regardless of the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Any chance we could all chip in to buy that lamp-post and re-site it out near Kinsealy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Earthman wrote:
    Ah for heavens sake.

Discuss all about his corrupt life.I'm just affording him the common decency of respect for the dead mans families grief here.

Theres no need for the ding dong the wicked witch is dead posts.
    Keep it to discussion and reasoned debate as thats the ethos of this board.

The LoL and he's a bollíx one liner posts can go off to somewhere else they are not and never were welcome here regardless of the topic.

Totally agree about the decency bit. His public life is fair game for discussion/reflection/condemnation/celebration though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,968 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Every death is a tragedy for the friends and family of the deceased, and we should have some sympathy for them. His family are not responsible for his misdeeds.

However, the fact remains that if Lawlor had been where he belonged - the Joy - he'd be alive now.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What was he doing in Moscow ?

Is it true that he spent almost no time in the Dail just showing up for key votes ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Gosh, that's a shock.

It's never pleasant to hear of people dying in car crashes, no matter what they've done in life.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

To all those disrespectful cretins, bitching and moaning about a man who has just died - you really are the scum of the earth. Whatever your opinion of the man, using his death as an excuse to rant about his actions in life, is pretty disgusting indeed.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Please tell me someone else has seen the Sunday Indo.

Sh1t, fan, etc...

Headline:

"Lawlor killed in red-light district with teenage girl"

If there is anyone else about who wants more of the story let me know. I'm not going to rant about him even though I had no respect for him while he was alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Read the headlines on Aertel. Not surprised if the Indo headline is true.

I'm sorry for his family but also that he hasn't lived to face up for his actions in the past. There are probably a number of people sleeping more soundly knowing that he has taken his knowledge of backroom dealings to the grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

Ray777 wrote:
    To all those disrespectful cretins, bitching and moaning about a man who has just died - you really are the scum of the earth. Whatever your opinion of the man, using his death as an excuse to rant about his actions in life, is pretty disgusting indeed.

RIP

Gosh because using a person's death to evaluate their life is completely unheard of, um ever heard of an obituary?

Read a good obituary it's an honest evaluation of a person's life. Suggesting that people who discuss someone after their death, expressing a less than glowing opinion of their life, instead of a glowing tribute is an honest apraisal, calling them "the scum of the earth" is absurd hyperbole.

Nobody's asking for a 'glowing tribute'. Just a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss. And some of the comments on these pages are far from respectful.

Ray777 wrote:
    Nobody's asking for a 'glowing tribute'. Just a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss. And some of the comments on these pages are far from respectful.

Perhaps disrespect breeds disrespect. Dead or alive, lots of people won't like what this guy has done to the Irish taxpayer. I really do feel sorry for his family, especially with what tomorrows Sunday Indo will do to them, but I do feel the Indo were right to publish it.

Ray777 wrote:

A bit of respect? What respect has Lawlor shown us? Respect is earned, Lawlor squandered every cent of respect he had garnered as a TD.

Do you actually know anything about the man? What he did? The trust he abused the money he took, the damage he caused, but no we need to be "respectful" Sod that. An honest appraisely of Lawlors career would begin on around the redcowroundabout at half nine on monday morning......

Yes, I do know what he did. I just don't think it's appropriate for people to take this opportunity to express their hatred for him. I suppose, whether you agree or disagree with that, just depends what type of person you are...

I wouldn't imagine his family would read boards, so I don't see a problem in criticising him now. It's sad that he has left behind a loving family, of course, they'll be heartbroken. The manner in which he died, however, and his corruption and greed will mean that plenty of people (like myself) have very low opinions of him and will use his death as a means of venting their anger.

• Advertisement

Ray777 wrote:
    Yes, I do know what he did. I just don't think it's appropriate for people to take this opportunity to express their hatred for him. I suppose, whether you agree or disagree with that, just depends what type of person you are...

Someone who doesn't think that a person's death is an excuse to canonise someone, praise them, and ignore their massive corruption.

You bascially want me to offer faux sympathy, platitutes and sympathy, for someone who didn't give a damn about me, but abused the money I put in his hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I wouldn't imagine his family would read boards, so I don't see a problem in criticising him now.
    And frankly, given the circumstances of his death as reported by the Sunday Independent, I doubt that anything they read here would make them feel any worse, in the same way that someone shot in the head doesn't worry about a mild case of 'flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

He described Mr Lawlor as an engaging, witty and larger than life character. He added that he was a man with a keen intellect with strong views, which he was never afraid to articulate trenchantly.

:/
    Bertie's comments on lawlyors passing. I dont mind the party passing on sympathys to his family, but I hope to fec that this dos not become an ff lawlor love in. No need for it, ff can show a little respect for the public as well as lawlors family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Considering i nor most of the posters on boards know him i find it laughable that people come on here and wish his family sympathies and the like.He is/was a figure in the public eye and deserves no more sympathy than any ordinary joe soap who dies but i don't see any tributes to them so please don't act the sympathic fools to *strangers* because that is all he is/was to most people here.

black_jack wrote:
    You bascially want me to offer faux sympathy, platitutes and sympathy, for someone who didn't give a damn about me, but abused the money I put in his hand?

No I don't. I never said that, did I? I never said anything about faux sympathy, praise or anything. I'm just of the opinion that it's wrong to use the event of somebody's death as a means of whinging about what they did when they were alive and expressing delight that he's dead. He was a corrupt politician - not a mass murderer. A bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.

Incidentally, I think the article in the Sindo says as much about the quality of that paper as it does about Liam Lawlor.

Ray777 wrote:
    Incidentally, I think the article in the Sindo says as much about the quality of that paper as it does about Liam Lawlor.

Feel free to expand. They are reporting the news, are you suggesting that they shouldn't mention the bit about the area Lawlor was leaving with a teenage girl being renowned for prostitution? I for one think that newspapers should report the news and not censor themselves for the sake of a tiny minority of people.

It's pure tabloid shit - typical of the Sunday Independent. He's not a public figure. What he was doing in Moscow and who he was doing it with, is none of our business.

Ray777 wrote:
    He's not a public figure..

Em... what? Of course he is a public figure! Ray is your second name Burke by any chance?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Em... what? Of course he is a public figure! Ray is your second name Burke by any chance?

You might remember three years ago, he stood down from Dáil Éireann. He was a former public figure.

• Advertisement

Ray777 wrote:
    You might remember three years ago, he stood down from Dáil Éireann. He was a former public figure.

And he has been a regular on the 6 o'clock news thanks to a tribunal or two since. I'm sure 95% of people here would consider Liam Lawlor a public figure.

The Observer/Guardian has picked up on the call-girl story.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1598794,00.html

Advertisement