Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Lawlor killed in moscow car crash

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

mike65 wrote:
    Lawlor rescues fallen teenagers

from Observer story

Which could almost lead one to speculate that he was assasinated. Well why not? Plenty of daft ideas are floating about.

Yeah maybe it was the guys that killed Diana Windsor or the fellow on the grassy knollhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

So you would know the intimate details of his relationship with his family? Please tell us (i) how you know and (ii) why you feel you can comment about what happens behind the closed door in someone else's relationship? Feel free to compare and contrast with other politicans, or people, who have had good and bad relationships, say Emmett Stagg for starters. Knowing how he treated his family, as you clearly do, would it offend you to see his family upset at his funeral? As you are so confident as to comment on something as intensely personal as his family life, perhaps you might want to drop them a note telling them they should really be enjoying this moment, clearly some here are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

did he not use members of his family by putting their names on various assets of his to avoit tax payment.

not very respectful now is it.

did he not use members of his family by putting their names on various assets of his to avoit tax payment.

not very respectful now is it.

Is there some suggestion he did it behind their back? He screwed tham over by putting property in their names? Terrible. Imagine someone putting an asset in your name? If any family member wants to disrespect me by putting an asset in my name, then I welcome such disrespect and would urge them to hurry up please. And it will be news to many people I know that sound tax advice based on using the tax free thresholds between various relations is actually a form of disrespect that damages the fabric of the family. In fact, it will be news to an awful lot of people that there is anything wrong at all with structuring family assets in such a way as to minimise tax exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If any family member wants to disrespect me by putting an asset in my name, then I welcome such disrespect and would urge them to hurry up please.
    Well, maybe you don't value your name enough to not want it dragged through the courts, but offhand, I wouldn't discredit the guy's family quite so much as to assume the same of them. Respect and all that, don't'cha know...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Feel free to compare and contrast with other politicans, or people, who have had good and bad relationships, say Emmett Stagg for starters.

Politicans & Media acted responsibly in relation to Emmett Stagg. This showed the media had standards and politicians had maturity.

The Lawlor family have suffered a tragedy and this type of media story is 100% gutter fodder.

Sparks wrote:
    offhand, I wouldn't discredit the guy's family quite so much as to assume the same of them.

Offhand, I wouldn't discredit him or the family so much by assuming base motives for everything.

Maybe, just maybe - and I know this won't sit easily with those who see today as a great chance to have a go at the Lawlors without consequences - he put assets in a family members name with their full knowledge and permission. But again, some here clearly feel they know better and can comment on how much respect existed in his private family life, like gossips nattering over a garden fence. The Valley of the Squinting Windows was more open minded, less nasty and less suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I love the way people want us to be nice about Lawlor to show respect for his family when clearly Lawlor himself was showing no respect for his family

That, is missing the point, of the worst kind..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thomond Pk wrote:
    That post is extremely offensive in the absence of facts to back it up; given that the source is INM even you should know better.

What facts is that then? Go check various papers, they all cite the Moscow police. Prehaps you could actually check up Moscow police site? Maybe FT might even have a story on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can't believe people think ****e like the independant say is true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Libero

The Sunday Independent has now removed all mention of the "prostitute" story from it's online edition.

Wonder what that move can possibly mean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Libero wrote:
    The Sunday Independent has now removed all mention of the "prostitute" story from it's online edition.

Wonder what that move can possibly mean...
    Pity they can't be sued

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Pity they can't be sued
    The Ukrainian lady, stated on the RTE news to be a legal secretary, who accompanied him from Prague, survived the accident.

She could have a case....

She could have a case....
    ...against the Moscow police...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Sparks wrote:
    ...against the Moscow police...
    Or the Indo who published the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The Indo doesn't say she was a prostitute, it says that their sources within the police force believed she was a prostitute. Whether or not this might affect some libel issue I don't exactly know.

If it does turn out that she is a translator/interpreter, the Irish Independent will be left with some serious egg on their face and with a lot of explaining/apologising to do.

Or the Indo who published the story.
    First she'd have to prove that the Moscow Police were not a reliable source of information and that would mean that she'd be taking on the russian government....

Off-hand, I'd say the Indo is safe unless they made up the bit about the Moscow Police being the source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The Indo doesn't say she was a prostitute, it says that their sources within the police force believed she was a prostitute. Whether or not this might affect some libel issue I don't exactly know.

If it does turn out that she is a translator/interpreter, the Irish Independent will be left with some serious egg on their face and with a lot of explaining/apologising to do.

Not really they just reported what several papers have stated, that the Moscow police stated she was a prostitute, the family contradicted it, and playing it safe the paper switched stories. you can bet your arse half a dozen irish hacks are winging their way to Moscow as we speak, to er, check out the womans credidentals as a cunning lingusit*

*sorry couldn't resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Hobbes wrote:
    What facts is that then? Go check various papers, they all cite the Moscow police.

There are no facts other than a car crashed a man is dead and a woman and a driver are injured. You have enterered Brooke McVeigh style journalism and in the absence of an official statement your comments are as usual premature in the extreme and clouded by bias as per your norm.
    Hobbes wrote:
    Prehaps you could actually check up Moscow police site?

Good to see you are still refusing to supply any of your own information but suggesting links to foriegn langauge sites, in this case a langauge with a different alphabet.
    Hobbes wrote:
    Maybe FT might even have a story on it.

That comment shows just how narrow minded and parochial you are; the FT have bigger fish to fry than a grubby little TD who was jailed for wasting the time of a little tribunal on planning corruption.

• Advertisement

Thomond Pk wrote:
    That comment shows just how narrow minded and parochial you are; the FT have bigger fish to fry than a grubby little TD who was jailed for wasting the time of a little tribunal on planning corruption.

Please refrain from personal abuse on this board.
    If I see this type of thing again you will be getting a rest from here.

Pity they can't be sued

Why not?

The suggestion or innuendo that someone is a prostitute is one of the four areas of defamation that ar actionable per se. She would not have to prove any special damages or particular loss, unlike other defamation cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1024/lawlorl.html

AFAIK it is impossible to libel/slander the dead, Hence the outrageous lies that the papers printed yesterday.

Bond-007 wrote:
    AFAIK it is impossible to libel/slander the dead

But the interpreter is not dead. Surely she can sue?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But the interpreter is not dead. Surely she can sue?
    I don't think so, since her name wasn't mentioned, nor was her picture taken. She would have to prove that her good name was damaged. Now, if the paper says "It is believed she was a prostitute", then those who know that it was her in the car, know that she's not a prostitute, and those who don't know her, would never recognise her. Essentially her good name remains intact.

Libel law isn't my forté though.

seamus wrote:
    She would have to prove that her good name was damaged.

My understanding is that there are four types of defamatory statements which are actionable per se, and it is no defence to say that she cannot prove that she actually lost money because her reputation suffered. These are (i) slander which imputes unchastity to any woman - S 16 Defamation Act 1961 (ii) slander affecting a person's professional or business reputation (s 19) (iii) slander imputing a criminal offence punishable by imprisonment or (iv) slander imputing a contagious disease.

In each of these cases there is no need to prove special damage. I think the innuendo is very clear, the Sindo clearly felt she was a prostitute, and because it's actionable per se my understanding is that she doesn't have to trawl the planet to find someone who read that story, knew her, knew she was in the car, and believed it to be true. I believe the absence of a photo or name won't getg them out of the hole. If someone said 'Conor74 is a cheat', then even though my name and photo are not published it doesn't mean the comment is not defamatory, though in that instance I would need to show special damage which may be difficult and render any action useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'll bow to superior knowledge. :)

Their only defence may be that the Moscow police were there source, though I think you'd having trouble proving in court that the Moscow police are a reliable/honourable source!

seamus wrote:
    I'll bow to superior knowledge. :)

Their only defence may be that the Moscow police were there source, though I think you'd having trouble proving in court that the Moscow police are a reliable/honourable source!

Don't bow, I could be way off track. I'm just desperate to see the Sindo nailed!

I do know that it's no defence to blame the source though. It just means there could be two defendants instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The more I think about this the more p!ssed off I get. Lawlor knew soooo much. There will be sooooo many equally corrupt slimeballs breathing much more esily following his death. It was a dissafected mans testimony that opened this whole can of planning worms. Lawlor was in a simlar boat and could have taken a lot of corrupt scum down with him. That won't happen now. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

For the benifit of those that cant speak russian

read russian police site and russian papers. Even did a russian google.
    I got 2 papers translating the observer article.

One authentic russian source "korrespondent.net" says some media are suggesting shes a prostitute

Advertisement