Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof question

Options
  • 22-10-2005 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Basically I have an extension out the back with a flat bitumen roof. Its about 15m by 18m(give ot take). Its finally given in to the elements and has started leaking like a sieve(sp). We went with a roofing company and we decided to put in a 12m by 2m strip of pyrimd glass. The quote was in the region of 17000€ which included re insulating the roof,apply some upvc membrane thing,and do the rest. He was ment to come on wed,NEVER DID OR CALLED. So today I rang and told him a bit of courtesy doesnt cost 17000!

Now heres the problem. Anyone here on boards have any experience with roofing companies? Please let me know of any good companies you've dealt with. Any help is much appreciated!We are desperate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I'll bet there are a few waiting for my answer to this question ;)

I can't speak for another company or your roof either which by the way appears to be fairly big for an extension.

If we take the weather this past week into account your contractor may be behind schedule and playing catch up with staff who in the last few years appear to be adopting a more less co-operative approach as each day passes.

Looking at the measurements he may have discovered he has under priced the job and is living in hope that you will find another contractor.

I have been known to get starting dates mixed up in fact a couple of months ago I started the wrong job in Stillorgan, so to one customer I was the greatest they had ever came across while to the other customer I had not called them or made contact and they did go with another contractor.

I place equal value on each job regardless of the size or the agreed amount but mistakes do happen, I am not infallable therefore I can't judge your contractor.

What I am a little puzzled by is your description of the roof covering, I know if I am spending even ten percent of the figure you mentioned I need to know what my hard earned money is being spent on.

There are a lot of single ply membranes on the market many react very badly to any type of bitumen based product so unless you are sure that your existing covering is being completely removed it could be a blessing in disguise that this contractor failed to turn up.

Also you have described serious leaks, I trust the contractor has allowed for replacement timber decking or making good the existing deck, I expect that you did seek alterenative quotes and examined the different specifications carefully.

I agree with you, €17,000.00 is a lot of money at any time for any service and a telephone call would amount to good manners at the very least, I hope you have not paid over any deposit prior to the work starting ?

I have come across consumers who have paid that and more in good faith without as much as a nail being left on site.

Advertisement