Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking.....?

• 18-09-2001 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

Can ne 1 help me?
    Im just about to but a new dell 4100 pc with top spec, but I have a compaq in the office already! What Im wondering is can I network the 2 pcs together, 1 running windows 98, and the other running windows me??
    Or should I upgrade 98 to 2000, or me???
    Cheers lads,
    Cian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daraghmcg

Shouldn't be any major probs there, depends on what you want to network them for.
    Obviously you will need to get your hands on two network cards and some cable, if you plan on just using the two comps together, then you will need a Cross Over cable and no additional hardware, however if you want to bring more machines into play you will need a hub.
    Post whatever you are looking to do and I'm sure someone will give ya a dig out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ara ffs, I had a class reply that would have expalined everything to you, but because I'm logging in from college and can't turn on Cookies as a result boards.ie seems to log me out after a certrain period of non-postage. Which sucks.
    The options page is still a mine field to my sensitive eyes.
    Anyways.
    t he short of it.

get 2 100MBit cards. Get 1 length of CAT5e Cable, borrow a RJ-45 crimpers.
    Install the cards.
    On the crimps cross pin 1 with 3, and pin 2 with 6.
    so on the plugs it's:
    A B
    ____#____ ____#___
    /1234 5678 \ / 3614 5278\
    \| | | | | | | | / \ | | | | | | | |/

That is basiclly the way it should look, with the heads facing you, anmd teh copper pieces facing to the ground with the clip facing the ceiling
    hope it helps.
    AFAIK this worls for 100MBit cards. I've only actually done it with 10MBit cards (assemble the cables I mean), I never got a chance to look at Robb's one at teh Galway Lan to check.

well ffs. All my carefull SyxTxt formatting ruined by Boards economy. FFS.
    Hope you can still get the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

2 x ISA 10 Meg Network Cards, Intel branded, combo cards, with 4 meter patch lead, crossed over to suit. 20 quid. You interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Nice 1 lads!
    All I want to do is to share files between the 2 pcs in the office (my docs) or somethin!
    I know I dont need a server, cus there is only 2, but Jaden, YES, I am interested!!! BUt do the 2 network cards have to be the same?

• Advertisement

not explicitly, but its better (and less head-wreaking, hair-pullingly annoying) if you do get identical cards.

Also, ona side note;
    /me talks over buzz
    Is there anywhere I can get more specific drivers for taht 100MBit 3Com card Jaden? I donb't seem to have any options (full/half Duplex, bus mastering etc.) in the properties of the card.

Also, i've it disabled atm, due to something you said about MAC addresses.
    Can i leave both enabled?
    this is kinda mootbut anyways....
    What will happen with ADSL/Cable internet and a second NIC if there is a problem atm with this setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

SyxPak,
    AFAIK, I got you a 3COM 595 series card. Drivers for it are easy to find. If you open yer PC, the product code will be written in yellow, on or near the top right of the NiC. Google will find you the latest drivers, no problem. They're on the 3COM site, but it's poo to navigate. There is also a utilty that 3COM have released for advanced options, which you can't change from the properties box. Again, google is your friend here. If you can't find either, I'll mail them on to you at your request. I can't fully remember your setup, so post it here, and we'll sort it out.

Buzz,
    The two cards dom't have to be the same, as long as the connection system is. Some cards, generally older ones, use co-axial cable to connect together. This technologhy was 10MBit, and fiddly to say the least. Other cards use RJ45 connections, which utilise Cat 5 cable. This is far more common these days, and I recommend using it. The two ISA cards I suggested using are combo cards, meaning that they can use Co-axial or Cat 5 cable, but only run at 10MBits. This is not a concern for file sharing (or even for games, unless your worried about a 30 versus a 15 ping). Now, a new Dell 4100 has 5 PCI slots, and an AGP slot (where your GeForce 2 GTS sits). This means that 2 ISA cards won't suit you, as the Dell has no ISA slots. I can sell you 1 ISA card 10 Meg card, and 1 PCI 10 Meg card, providing that you can make sure the older machine you have, has an ISA slot. It's the big brown/black one, generally furthest from the processor. Check it out and get back to me. If you want a 100Meg card in the good machine, I can get you a 3COM one cheap, many can attest to the quality of this merchandise. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

If its seems like to much bother goig to all that trouble you could always try connecting two PC's via USB cable. Me personaly I use Cat5 and the whole network stuff but if it i too much hassle USB networks are easy to set up all you need is a USB cable & a USB converter (square to rectangle shape) fo one end. Do you read PcGamer??? If so check out issue 101 theyve got the USB stuff in that edition. There is one drawback to USB it only goes at 50mbit a second while Cat5 and Network cards can go at 10 or 100 mbits a second!

Win98 is grand for neworking in fact I think its easier to set up!

WARNING: you know Easons on O'Connel sreet? If you go to the 2nd Floor theyve got iMac's are they are omplete and uttter $hit! Im using one now!

I have that PCGAmer beside meh now. What page was it on?
    I remeber USB had a total bandwidth of 12MBits/sec, but is this split somway between the two or more ports? What's the craic?

Oh yeah, iMacs are shiot.
    Now a dual 550 G4 with the Warp engine is a beast.
    Purfect for Photoshopping that pic of Bertie ahern spanking Jackie healy Rae...... or is that just my hobby?

Advertisement