Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

My two weeks are in January, for the first week I'm going to Hibernian Insurance in Dublin, 'cos my sister works there & for the second week I'm going to my local library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

spiderlegs wrote:
    Anyone any ideas of places that do photography related things for work experience??
    For a newspaper, with photojournalists?
    A girl I know is doing a week with the Irish Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Thanking you for your help! TY has killed all brain cells. I completlely forgot to think sensibly on that topic.Thank you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I did a week in the Irish Times, but sadly, did not get to do any photography related things.

Probably if you specifically asked though, they might work something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Lady penelopy

spiderlegs, i want to go to the ark too, i was literally the ark baby, my godfather having started it and my mum working in temple bar propertes at the time...also, she helped get the new director in! i want to do something in a decent small clothes shop(as in, not a huge chain,somewhere i would learn stuff)for my second week.
    jakkass, who are you, cause im in kh too! obviously your in my year and all!...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

My sister got fired from her work experience this year! She was working in a retererment(I know it's spelt wrong) centre for two and a half days and then was fired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

LOL, what did she do?

I don't know?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭J Campion

My experience with a solicitor was fairly good, got to go to the four courts and loads of stuff, and am now fully licensed to use a photocopier, binder, shredder, filing cabinet, Christmas tree lights, doors... the list is endless! Mind you I still haven't a clue if I want to do it!

My sister left it untill the last minute and luckily my aunt had a friend who got here an interview for the hilton hotel in dublin! I want the free things you get in the bedrooms but we dont want her being fired from this one too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I've done my work experince placements I did Customs Drugs Unit Dublin Airport, Garda Technical Bureau (Forensics) and Dublin Fire Brigade Training Centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭playdead

my two weeks work experience starts next monday and i have nothing!! anybody and interesting ideas?? i dont want to end up working in a shop or something cause anybody with half a brain cell can do that.

any ideas??

Bloody hell you left it late! Very few places will accept you with such short notice. Try doing it somewhere that does something that interest you or that you fell you might do after school, but its more likely you'll have to take whatever you can get, at this stage beggars cant be choosers

Fyr.Fytr wrote:
    Bloody hell you left it late! Very few places will accept you with such short notice. Try doing it somewhere that does something that interest you or that you fell you might do after school, but its more likely you'll have to take whatever you can get, at this stage beggars cant be choosers
    i know. well its partially the teachers fault for not giving us the info on when it was for. called some music studios, but they don't take paople for work experience. i just need some idea of somewhere interesting.....

Intersting places are only intersting to people interested in them (Made sense in my head) so try do something that interests you

Well if your are totally stuck you can always ask your old primary school. They usually always accept there old students even on short notice!

if i dont find anything i definately have a backup of two weeks in a youth center. but its not really something im mad about. i was kinda hoping that someone would come along with some great idea, but thats not how it works. im not even sure what i want to do anymore....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

I'm going to my uncle in Edinburgh for a week or two, my mom rang and he said I could work with his friend who is a harpsichord museum curator...but unfortunately he's out of town the week so I get to work in the university with my uncle (a music professor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

I've got my work experience coming up in about 5/6 weeks and i dont know where to go!:confused: I could always go to my mam or dads office but I'd like to go somewhere else a bit more interesting. Where did all the TY'ers go and what did they think of it, looking for ideas here!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

if anyone else has done it I would also like to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I did it a while back.

Firstly, what are you interested in, if anything? I can't see much much point doing work experience in an area you have no intention to go into etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I did 2 weeks in a video game shop, and another 2 weeks in an accountants office :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

There's already a thread for this....

Merge-alicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

lol i remember back in the day.. didnt organise my work experience til 3 days before I started. Did it in the garda and in a medical equipment suppliers. load of bs, now studying physics.

Don't get stressed, it really doesn't matter.

I have one week sorted at the Computer Science department in NUI Maynooth

Sounds a bit confusiling!

Apple Gal wrote:
    Sounds a bit confusiling!
    ?? how so

Computer science?? I find computers confusiling enough, computer science sounds all complicated and technical!

ah okay ;) well im real interested in that area

• Advertisement

yay I got work experience sorted for 2 weeks there so I dont need to look anywhere else

Advertisement