Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Whoa I'd love to go to a CS department, but there wouldn't be anything like that going in this part of the universe...

My second (and last) week will be in an auctioneers office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

whats your first week

Jakkass wrote:
    whats your first week
    Was in an architects office a few months ago.. It was so crap. I did nothing useful, they just had me copying a plan that they had no intention of using onto the computer. They shouldn't even be taking people if that's all they'd be doing...

I know a guy who went to this auctioneer before and he had good things to say about it, so it shouldn't be so bad.

where do you live in Monaghan, I have relations just outside monaghan town

Jakkass wrote:
    where do you live in Monaghan, I have relations just outside monaghan town
    Latton, which is beside Ballybay, which is beside Castleblayney (where I go to school).

Wouldn't know many people in Monaghan town TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

declan_lgs wrote:
    Was in an architects office a few months ago.. It was so crap. I did nothing useful, they just had me copying a plan that they had no intention of using onto the computer. They shouldn't even be taking people if that's all they'd be doing...

Exactly the same as me!!:mad:

declan_lgs wrote:
    Latton, which is beside Ballybay, which is beside Castleblayney (where I go to school).

Wouldn't know many people in Monaghan town TBH.
    lol, my grandad goes to Ballybay for selling his cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Just to let the people asking questions know I did 3 weeks w/e at the end of oct start of nov

I did:
    A week in Customs Dublin Airport
    A week in Garda Technical Bureau in the Phoenix Park
    And a week in Dublin Fire Brigade Training Centre in Marino

All were savage

I might find another Work Experience placement but take time off school to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

have you all 'booked' your work experiance ALREADY? crap...:P

I'm thinking of trying to work in a recording studio? good idea/bad idea?
    dunno wat I'll do for the second week.

actually, the second week lasts longer so i mite try and do the recording studio then..

Guess where my bro did his work experiance? Superquinn! xD he got paid for it though...

• Advertisement

yeah everyone else in my year had done something so I decided to get a move on

I'm thinking of trying to work in a recording studio? good idea/bad idea?
    If you're interested in that sorta stuff, go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My school was all "no, you're not allowed work in a shop", which is fair enough because in fairness, who dreams of working the tills for the rest of their life? o.O

I should probably think about my next work experience since it's at the start of April...

I havent even had one yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

I just got my one for the week after next sorted out! I'm working in a bakery, which is great because I love baking, the only bad side is that I have to be there at half six in the morning...Oh well, the good cancels out the bad (anything that falls on the floor I'm hoping I get!)

hold on..are the people in this thread who have organised this IN 4th year? or 3rd year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Err.. it is the TY board. Most of us are in transition year I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

hold on..are the people in this thread who have organised this IN 4th year? or 3rd year?
    LOL. You're in 3rd year and worrying about gettin W/E already?
    There are some people in my class (TY btw) who haven't even got it yet, and ours starts the week after next.

u dont get organised usually until TY :p

I love work exp.! The guys just feed me all day, it's fantastic. And if anyone in Dublin goes into fothergills someday soon, buy the cheesecake, I made it! Or the Gateux Diane, or any of the ridiculous amount of pancakes I made ( I cracked five hundred eggs. It was educational, I learned how to do two at a time!)

• Advertisement

god i'm so embarrassed..it;s just everyone is telling me to orgainse my TY work experiance REALLY early...like NOW! so I was gettin worried..

im such an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Mine was sooo boring I worked hard to get it and then pfft....it was crappy.

god i'm so embarrassed..it;s just everyone is telling me to orgainse my TY work experiance REALLY early...like NOW! so I was gettin worried..

im such an idiot.
    Relax, I was the same in 3rd year. I was out asking everyone about Work Experience untill someone told me not to worry untill TY.
    But when you do get into TY, you should start thinking about it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Fyr.Fytr wrote:
    Just to let the people asking questions know I did 3 weeks w/e at the end of oct start of nov

I did:
    A week in Customs Dublin Airport
    A week in Garda Technical Bureau in the Phoenix Park
    And a week in Dublin Fire Brigade Training Centre in Marino

All were savage
    How do u get into the garda.

well, I just got back from the blood lab in edinburgh. It was kind of good, but they all thought I had a science degree or something. They were just like "yes, well, the flowcytometer shows depolarisation of platelets through the lack of red florescense, I just added calpain inhibitor 86 and well, it all quite simple really." But by the end of the week I understood that, so...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 x_TC_x

I worked in Lycée Francais d'Irlande, French Primary school in Foxrock. Was totally awesome x

Write a letter to Technical Bureau, Garda siochana headquarters, phoenix park

You'll get a letter back a couple of days after telling you whether you go it or not, they're pretty quick to respond

That reminds me, I emailed Google (jobs@google.com) in September. They rejected me. "Do no evil" my bollox!

I did my week (well 4 days, I was in Belfast on Friday) this week. In Discovery Ireland in Swords. The people who do the "Best place to work" thing with the Irish Independant. It was good. :)

• Advertisement

Where abouts was it in Swords?

Advertisement