Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

declan_lgs wrote:
    That reminds me, I emailed Google (jobs@google.com) in September. They rejected me. "Do no evil" my bollox!
    they probably get a crapload of applications every year. they are a multinational company after all they can't just let anyone in.

started my work at maynooth yesterday, deadly place and a deadly course to do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 x_TC_x

Diarmsquid wrote:
    I did my week (well 4 days, I was in Belfast on Friday) this week. In Discovery Ireland in Swords. The people who do the "Best place to work" thing with the Irish Independant. It was good. :)

Just noticed you from Marino. What school you in? I'm in Dominicans x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Fyr.Fytr wrote:
    Where abouts was it in Swords?
    Feltrim Road. Beside Kidzone :) . Never got the time to pop in :rolleyes: .
    x_TC_x wrote:
    Just noticed you from Marino. What school you in? I'm in Dominicans x
    Cool. I'm in Árdscoil Rís. I cook in your school on Thursdays. Well... I try.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 x_TC_x

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Feltrim Road. Beside Kidzone :) . Never got the time to pop in :rolleyes: .

Cool. I'm in Árdscoil Rís. I cook in your school on Thursdays. Well... I try.:o

I draw in your school on Thursdays!! lol I walk by you every Thursday then! x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Take it to PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

I did my work experience with 98FM and Spin1038 it was the best week ever. Didn't want to leave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 clickclick

i was in my local hospital for the week. it was great but when you see a defibrillator actually used on a person, it is quite scary.

MaltEagle wrote:
    I did my work experience with 98FM and Spin1038 it was the best week ever. Didn't want to leave!
    :eek: Cooool!
    What were you doing there?

by assumption I'd say radio stuff :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well, yeah, but that's a very general term.
    Were you just serving tea and coffee or were you co-presenting? or working with taking calls? Sound? Accounts? ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

mefhein wrote:
    i did a week in dublin in rte working with mainly Off The Rails but flitting around all over the place meeting all the famous people and visiting all the sets anyway!:)

:eek: Wow that sounds cool! im going into 4th year now.How did you get that as your work experience??? Did you write to them?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, my dad works in RTE and he said whenever they get TY students in for work experience they end up just following people around and getting coffee...
    Maybe it depends what department you go to. : p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Hm, my dad works in RTE

Mine too :eek: .

Jello wrote:
    Mine too :eek: .
    o:

What does he do?

o:

What does he do?
    He's in the Engineering, Coverage Planning, TV Signal/Reception area.
    How about yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Did anyone do TY in a vets?! Is it good?!

Jello wrote:
    He's in the Engineering, Coverage Planning, TV Signal/Reception area.
    How about yours?
    He does Lighting.
    How strange.
    Then again, I suppose RTE employ a lot of people...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Buttons_sb wrote:
    Did anyone do TY in a vets?! Is it good?!
    I know a guy who did and he liked it.

If you're interested in that sorta stuff.. go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hm, my dad works in RTE and he said whenever they get TY students in for work experience they end up just following people around and getting coffee...
    Maybe it depends what department you go to. : p

I know someone who also works at RTE and he tells me that the workers just follow the Managers around all day but on all fours and the longer the tongue the better the breaks. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

Im trying to get work experience at a radio station but don't really know what id do there.Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

ash h wrote:
    Im trying to get work experience at a radio station but don't really know what id do there.Anyone know?

I'm the exact same. I just emailed a radio station and sent a letter to another one but I dunno what I'd be doing there. I'm interested in music and I listen to the radio a lot but I don't exactly have a 'radio voice' so for this, I actually do hope I'm only getting coffee for the presenters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Fireman training in Marino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I applied to Hotpress but just got an email from them saying they have no placements left in November, pity, but I'll try again for a March placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

working in a car dealership with a friend of my dad's,probably just washing cars and getting coffee but he promised me I would be able to go round the back to the auto repair yard out back and help out for a few days of it,because I'm really interested in cars.
    I want to work with animals for my easter placement,but all the local vets don't take transition years!I'll keep trying everywhere,even if I get a dog walker I'd love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I'l probably try to get a placement in an IT place for november. I should really get a move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I still haven't got this organised purely on the fact that I dunno what I want to do for Work Experience!!

I'm trying to get a placement for Physiotherapy for one week but for the other I've no clue!

I've got a week in UCD and for the other week I'm either going to an engineer's or I might be able to go to the Physics department at Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

I was hoping to get experience in the Irish Times for my first segment, but they are moving offices this year, so no TYs are being given experience. The local newspaper I emailed for a job still haven't given me word or not if I've got the job, and it's been a while since I contacted them too.

If it doesn't work out though with the newspaper, I'll probably be working in a historical library.

• Advertisement

Robbing all my work experiences!
    I did a week in the trinity physics department (they were doing this "TYPE" thing, transition year physics experience, they called it, so not really work experience) and I did a week in the Irish Times. : p

Advertisement