Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

In Carr Communications for the first week(Won it on an RTE program! Its airing 30th at 12:30!!) and then I'm in RTE the week after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I think I've another week lined up in March in RTE, so I get a week off school.

Mine went really well, I got €200 as I was leaving today, and UCD said they'll post something out to me. :D But money aside, the experience was great.

Carr Communications was brilliant. I mean, I had already been there for a week filming No Experience Required TY but it was even better the second time. It was so hard to leave because I loved it so much and my mentor, Aislinn, was the nicest person you would ever meet. Terry Prone is lovely too, she is really dynamic and genuine. She gave me her newest book which wa signed by the whole staff and they all left messages!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I have work experience next week but nothnig sorted for it...places keep not getting back to me and stuff...does anyone know any places that might take me at short notice?

• Advertisement

Piste wrote:
    places keep not getting back to me

Theres your problem, once the letter is sent, ring them back a week or so later. Remember, you want them, they dont entirely want you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Jello wrote:
    Mine went really well, I got €200 as I was leaving today, and UCD said they'll post something out to me. :D But money aside, the experience was great.

you got 200euro for doing work experiance??????

you got 200euro for doing work experiance??????
    Yep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Well I was in Navan with a Property Developer last week,mind-numbingly boring but got paid 200euro! In Lourdes Hospital now,and I really do mean now! They turfed me into Medical Records which defeats the entire purpose of me goin' to a hospital in the first place!
    "Hmmm,this boy has just applied for Work Experience with us."
    "Applying to a hospital and telling us he wants to do Internal Medicine??He obviously wants to file records all week!!"

Jackasses.I wouldn't be too pissed but they told me that they'd place me in Outpatients and A&E which has yielded zilch! Apox on thee Lourdes Hospital!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I was working in Trinity College for my first week in the computer department. I made a robot that cleaned up the ground.

My second week was very bad though in an office. At least I got to leave at around 2 - 3.

• Advertisement

I'm working in the Xbox Live Gaming centre in town, it's quite fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

in an office

SO BORING
    I do literally nothing,and they don't even have the internet
    the people are really nice thoughand I have today and tomorrow off.

#Elites wrote:
    Wow cool, migh accuyaly try there..

do you get payed?

I have no idea, maybe i'll get a voucher or something at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 as_seen_on

I'm thinking about the computer science department in Trinity. I need to talk about it to my guidance counsellor but she kinda scares me.:) My WE starts in March.

Does anyone else here find it extremely difficult trying to get work experience with big chain companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OrtizFan22

Yeah I'm doing mine in a local primary school in January,should be good i'm looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

First work experience went great, but that was about 2 months back, now my second work experience is coming up and I'm pretty stuck, as my main place is gone down the drain and my back up right now is pretty uncertain. I'm probably going to apply to one of the galleries in town, but not sure if its worthwhile.

Does anybody know if RTE are still taking on our savage little selves?
    Also there seems to be a load of people doing it in Trinity, what's going on there that seems to be so interesting, thinking of phoning up about the english department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

hey im goin 2 apply for the type thingy... is worth doin?
    are you resident in trinty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

did my first two week hitch was in a shop, i got lazy and none of the other places i wanted to do it were available. i ended up getting a part-time job and earning about €200 out of the p-t job.
    my second time (a week in feb-march) i want to do in mosney. i talked to the gm there, he said he'd let me know.

hey im goin 2 apply for the type thingy... is worth doin?
    are you resident in trinty?

I really want to do TYPE too, I couldn't find the dates for the second week though, do you know when it is?

its on the 5th to the 9th of march...

details are on the trinty site..

sounds deadly so it does!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 frenchman

there isnt that mucht to do really around where im from.. alot of people i know were stuck in offices makingf tea nad tidying and stuff like that. im thinking maybe the local county council or the met station.. any suggestions??

its on the 5th to the 9th of march...

details are on the trinty site..

sounds deadly so it does!
    I can't find anything on the trinity site, you wouldn't have a link to it?

BlueSpiral wrote:
    I can't find anything on the trinity site, you wouldn't have a link to it?
    http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/outreach/TYPE/

It's pants I wanted to TYPE too but I'm on a school trip to Paris that week.. but I suppose that'll be better :)

Jello wrote:
    http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/outreach/TYPE/

It's pants I wanted to TYPE too but I'm on a school trip to Paris that week.. but I suppose that'll be better :)
    Thanks a bunch Jello, it actually looks really interesting. It's normally something I wouldn't be interested in, but my old yearhead suggested to me I should do something I normally wouldn't do or hate to see if I actually like it. And i have always liked science.

No problem.. good luck with it!

BlueSpiral wrote:
    Thanks a bunch Jello, it actually looks really interesting. It's normally something I wouldn't be interested in, but my old yearhead suggested to me I should do something I normally wouldn't do or hate to see if I actually like it. And i have always liked science.

me too!i love science!:D

hope to see you there!

oh by the way.. for my work work experience i went to a pharmacy in town...as i was thinking of doing that after the leavin and i loved it! :D

will be goin back just to see what its like though normally and not when they're gettin ready for xmas! :D

me too!i love science!:D

hope to see you there!
    Hellz yeah! Though it depends on if my first choice are gonna take me on. :)

Have you applied already?

BlueSpiral wrote:
    Hellz yeah! Though it depends on if my first choice are gonna take me on. :)

Have you applied already?

nay.. im gettin my old jr cert science to write the teachers evaluation for me tomorrow.. he's a physics teacher, loves me and was delighted when i got 97% in the physics section of the mocks! :D so i think ill get the best evaluation from him and then ill post it during the week as well!:D Really want to do this! looks deadly!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Doing mine for a coach company up by the Sugar Loaf. Just doing odd jobs, helping out mechanics, cleaning the buses, and the odd spat of parking. Haven't been able to go in since Tuesday due to three inches of snow :o

Advertisement