Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL to increase speed

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

NTL's roll-out is always due to complete "next year".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The fact is that the area I am living in (D15) has very limited penetration of NTL BB (yes there are a few lucky ones). If you compare D15 to Galway you'll see that D15 is only half the population of Galway and it's only ONE division of Dublin and yet it's still not fully upgraded - 5 years after I was told "In 3 months time". It's great that NTL are helping out the more backward parts of the country but if they really want to beat eircom they need to take Dublin away from them, not Galway! Given current growth rates Galway will be a suburb of Dublin in 20 years (finally Civilization!), so why bother with those [strike]savag[/strike] differentially placed people?

There is a specific reason for this, for BB you need a modern Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC) network with relatively high radio bandwidth on the Coax. From what I have heard, NTL started in Dublin about 12 months ago in areas that were already HFC and only needed the BB gear, a relatively easy upgrade. When they completed all these areas they moved to Galway and Waterford because they were also newer areas and also had a HFC network and were therefore relatively easy to upgrade. Basically they got all the low hanging fruit to start with.

Now they are moving back to Dublin, however the areas left in Dublin are much older with much older gear and need extensive (and expensive) work to upgrade them to BB quality.
    So far NTL have left Dublin (a beacon of hope unto all) alone, next year that will change but for now eircom aren't being forced to move by NTL. Just look at their lack of action with Chorus (or at least their respective owner). I was hoping that NTL would be kicking eircom's ass RIGHT NOW as opposed to sometime next year. Eircom are reactive not pro-active and so far NTL have done nothing to make them react, that's my problem. *In the future* is great but I'd prefer the here and now.

NTL have already done extensive work in Dublin and supposedly about half of their Dublin customers can now get BB.

As for Chorus, well that is a different story, the Corus network is in a complete shambles, it is basically made out of wet pieces of string. A massive amount of work needs to be done on the Chorus network, I have heard rumours that they are busy upgrading it, but it will take a long time. BTW they are slowly rolling out BB, a friend from Cork recently told me that their BB is now avialable in his area, however it is still only 1m/256k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Cable quality is not the only issue. Another major issue is getting fibre/backhaul to the head-ends. They've upgraded the head-ends with good quality cable and that are easy to get hooked up to fibre. At least that's my understanding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyway of checking if you can get NTL BB or do you just have to ring them up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Blaster99 wrote:
    Cable quality is not the only issue. Another major issue is getting fibre/backhaul to the head-ends. They've upgraded the head-ends with good quality cable and that are easy to get hooked up to fibre. At least that's my understanding...

Yes, that is basically what I was saying above, sorry if it wasn't clear.

BTW I don't think money is the problem at the moment now, it is skilled engineers to do the job. Really there are very few people around who can do this sort of work and they are all busy working for NTL or Eircom or Digiweb, etc. I'm sure NTL would rollout faster if they had more engineers, they really have made BB their number one priority. But if you don't have enough skilled engineers then though, of course people don't want to hear this, they just want BB now.
    Trampas wrote:
    Anyway of checking if you can get NTL BB or do you just have to ring them up

You need to ring them, however usually you will know when BB is available as they will send you letters and calls letting you know that it is available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

It's great that NTL are helping out the more backward parts of the country but if they really want to beat eircom they need to take Dublin away from them, not Galway! Given current growth rates Galway will be a suburb of Dublin in 20 years (finally Civilization!), so why bother with those [strike]savag[/strike] differentially placed people?

I'm all for a bit of a slag - but you should be banned for those remarks.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Freddie59 wrote:
    8 Megs!!!???:eek: :eek: :eek:

Imagine having affordable 8meg lines OUTSIDE dungarvan! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

i agree with Freddie, I havent seen that kind of Beyond the Pale attitude in a long time

i agree with Freddie, I havent seen that kind of Beyond the Pale attitude in a long time

Aye - but it's amazing that the people he's insulting have 3 Megs BB and he hasn't. Who's laughing at who? Yep - living in Dublin has it's advantages. :rolleyes:

do you have the 3 meg line? I'm currently on an eircom 2 meg but since im moving house in Jan I'll prob go with NTL 3 meg. ( its great you can get it all over our backward city:) )

how do you find it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Don't worry Galway, Dublin's coming to save you! It will bring enlightenment and prosperity for all!

Oh please come and save us, my mud hut has nearly blown down and im too stupid to fix it.......:rolleyes:

Stay over there on the east coast buddy, we are quite alright without people like yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'm on the 3 meg in Dublin (In your face Galway :p ) I find it far better than 2 meg DSL.

err, its available in galway, mind you you seem happy with it! ill take that as a positive sign:)

do you have the 3 meg line? I'm currently on an eircom 2 meg but since im moving house in Jan I'll prob go with NTL 3 meg. ( its great you can get it all over our backward city:) )

how do you find it?

See attached speed test:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

...yet they still can't get broadband into Dublin City Center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

bk wrote:
    No info yet, however it does seem likely. NTL:UK (a different company now) is upgrading to 10mbit/s, so it would seem likely that NTL:Ireland can do the same.

The last time NTL upped the speeds there was no increase in price, in fact the top package NTL Broadband Max decreased by €10 from €55 to €45, while the speed increased from 1.5m to 3m. So I'd expect the price to stay the same, unless they introduce newer higher packages and keep the same packages.
    Thanks to Pallum and Bk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Freddie59 wrote:
    I see you're both new here......I wasn't actually serious. I thought it was obvious from the striking out and all that. I'm not even a Dubliner strictly speaking.

I suppose you Galwegians are simply to dumb to see humour...........typical.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Freddie59 wrote:
    Ahh come on. Lighten up.
    I haven't laughed as much reading a post in ages.:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Ok im on 3MB NTL in D16
    Im gettin 8-15 ping in CS:S

Look at this Tracert

1 6 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.7.7.254
    2 11 ms 7 ms 7 ms dbln-cam-1b-ge02-100.inet.ntl.com [82.9.147.5]
    3 9 ms 8 ms 11 ms dbln-t2core-b-ge-210-0.inet.ntl.com [82.9.145.12
    9]
    4 12 ms 7 ms 7 ms dbln-bb-b-ge-230-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.57]

5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms inex-ic-1-pos000.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.94]
    6 26 ms 15 ms 11 ms fe-0-1-2.core1.dublin2.stisp.net [193.242.111.24
    ]
    7 10 ms 9 ms 11 ms 84.203.130.94
    8 11 ms 18 ms 15 ms 84.203.138.118
    9 9 ms 10 ms 28 ms corerouter1.hosting365.ie [82.195.128.7]
    10 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms boards.ie [82.195.136.250]

I see you're both new here......I wasn't actually serious. I thought it was obvious from the striking out and all that. I'm not even a Dubliner strictly speaking.

;)
    well lets forget about it since u used such a nice smiley face and all:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

does anyone know when the ntl upgrade will happen?

i've the 1meg ntl, thinking of upgrading to the 3meg, would it be better to stick with the 1meg and wait for the upgrade, or are we looking at 6 months or more here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

paulm17781 wrote:
    What amazes me is that Chorus aren't getting BB out there like NTL. With UGC owning Chorus in full you would think they would start building up a market share.

They are. Its just a touch slower as the cable network needs to be upgraded as they go. But a good deal of Cork is done apparently.

;)

It depends on how you qualify dumb - in your sentence above after the word 'simply' you should have said 'too'........yeah - we're stupid alright.:D :D:D:D

kaizersoze wrote:
    Ahh come on. Lighten up.
    I haven't laughed as much reading a post in ages.:D :D

I wonder if the same remarks had been passed about, let's say, a black person would everyone have enjoyed them as much?:confused:

Freddie59 wrote:
    It depends on how you qualify dumb - in your sentence above afetr the word 'simply' you should have said 'too'........yeah - we're stupid alright.:D :D:D:D
    Freddie, Check your spelling!:D
    always make sure its right with that kind of answer!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

PiE wrote:
    ...yet they still can't get broadband into Dublin City Center.

Who? NTL? Well I have it in Temple Bar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

8 meg???

i think i just came a little:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

tman wrote:
    8 meg???
    Aah you won't be better off really. Soon all Divx's will be Hd, and roll in at 6 gigs a pop :(

Computers will have to get bigger, to the size of buildings. And only the 4 richest kings of europe will be able to afford them. :D

But seriously, its all relative.

Freddie, Check your spelling!:D
    always make sure its right with that kind of answer!;)

Point taken - but that's a syntax error (look it up) - quite different from a basic grammatical error.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 certifiable365

bk wrote:
    Graham Sutherland, managing director of NTL Ireland:
    "Looking ahead to the end of the year, we expect to have 160,000 homes enabled for broadband and to keep our penetration rate above 10 percent."
    http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9630232

NTL has about 355,000 TV customers, of whom about 109,000 are MMDS, therefore they have about 246,000 cable customers, so the footprint by the end of this year will actually be about 65%.

100% by next year is just a guess, but it is a good, educated guess, NTL have reached 65% in almost 12 months, they can certainly finish the other 45% in the next 12. Also it is worth noting that NTL's new owners have a very strong policy of upgrading all their networks to support the triple play, they are not interested in just low margin TV services.

I know it can be very frustrating when there doesn't seem to be any activity in your area, but if you take a look around boards, you will see that there has been an awful lot of new areas that have come online in the past few months. Just last year I was told by an NTL engineer that it would be years before my area (D9) got BB, just a few months later I got a letter through the door saying that I could get BB from them and now I'm happily on 3m/300k :)

Is this true it's available in Dublin 09??
    Whereabouts in Dublin 09 are you?

I asked months ago and was told it wasn't available!.

I'm officially Dublin 09, Santry Lane, but very close to Dublin 11, Ballymun.

Has anyone around the Ballymun\Santry Area been able to get NTL broadband?

I want out of Eircom, gammy 1mb line for 40 euro a month!! robbers!!:mad:

Advertisement