Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunphy on the Weakest Link

• 18-09-2001 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

What did you think of Eamo on TWL? He wasn't too caustic, a lot nicer than Anne Robinson anyway.

Comments etc.

John.
    --
    weakest_lg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I didn't see all of it but the bit Ii seen I didn't think he was any good at all! but a friend of mine who never say "the dragon lady" LOL thought he was being really hard on the contestants.

So maybe if u haven't seen it b4 it's ok to watch?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

i was never a big fan of the weakest link anyway cos i find the format too repetitive and boring. but occassionally it could be quite funny, especially when contestants answered back to anne robinson and there would be some good humoured banter. the whole thing was totally tongue and cheek.

what set it apart from the rest was obviously the way anne robinson carried it on. dunphy is just totally nice on the irish version .... the producers have missed the whole point of the show!!!

dunphy has had some great moments on the premiership etc but i was amazed at how bland and inoffensive he was - he failed to bring anything special to the show.

it was very strange hearing the normal stuff "who's letting you down?" etc being said in such a calm way....

a couple of people who had never seen the original version thought it was quite good. but for me, once you remove the caustic comments, it is just another run of the mill gameshow....

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

im sorry but he was useless!!!! he just has got the evil streak that Anne Robinson has!!! she was never afraid to take the piss out of the contestants!!!

Dunphy should pretend that the contestants are Football Teams - especially Liverpool (cos he hates them)!!!! he doesnt seem to mind taking the piss out of Liverpool so it might work!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Or he could pretend thier taxi drivers... although I believe he's scared ****less after the last time he made fun of taxi drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Still it could be worse... Ray Dempsey could be presenting.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

i thought he was the best choice for the spot, but he really did come across FRIENDLY!

ray darcy, lamo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Part of the whole show, and prob why Robinson got the job, was that it introduced an element of cynicism and condecension, IMHO.

Robinson had the right style, as does Chris Tarrant for WWTBAM in the UK.

The US WWTBAM sucks....they got Regis to present it, and it is just as lame as the Gay version in Ireland. I think they learned the mistake and just got Robinson for the US Weakest Link.....teh right voice. Maybe it's the accent or something.

I mean, she would right in place with the rest of the admirals at the table in Star Wars (all the bad guys have British accents). They might as well just not have the show at all here.....it's just questions and no real entertainment.

RTE sucked with WWTBAM, and now TV3 with Weakest Link. Maybe if they fire all the old fogeys that still work there and inject some new talent (not those idiotic ****heads on Ireland AM) things might improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by nesf
    Still it could be worse... Ray Dempsey could be presenting.....

Who TF is Ray Dempsey???

did you mean Ray Darcy (of Blackboard Jungle Fame)

or

Ian Dempsey (Today Fm- ex Den Tv as well)

"Ray Dempsey" LOL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

no no, Ray Dempsey is the love child of Ian Dempsey and Ray Darcy...how they managed it though, no ones know [also]no one wants to know:)[/also]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by chernobyl
    no no, Ray Dempsey is the love child of Ian Dempsey and Ray Darcy...how they managed it though, no ones know [also]no one wants to know:)[/also]

:D:D lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Liam Fay had a real go at the TV3 version in today's Sunday Times

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/09/23/sticuicui02002.html

Advertisement