Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I video'd this bird taking a bath . . .

• 22-10-2005 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

sometimes it's great having a garden :-)

wmv video here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Can some mod move this to Slydice. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I'll try to bring it back on topic to 'gardening/DIY'.... :D

I'm going to make a small nesting box to hopefully attract back the birds that nested in the garden last year. Their nest was attacked by a cat (bastards) and the chicks were eaten...

any suggestions for deterrent to keep cats away from nest boxes ? barbed wire seems to be all that is available but I don't like the idea of feckin' barbed wire in the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

shabbyroad wrote:
    any suggestions for deterrent to keep cats away from nest boxes ? barbed wire seems to be all that is available but I don't like the idea of feckin' barbed wire in the garden.
    hang it from a tree or if you want it in the ground put a wide feeding platform on it, the cats wont be able to get up the post and around the platform.
    just make sure its not near any walls/sheds as the cat will just jump over..
    _____
    | |
    __|_&_|___
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

<edit> ugh nice formatting boards... </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I see. I reckoned that putting a wide feeding platform would stop them climbing up but I hadn't thought about the possibility of them jumping across from a building or wall.

back to the drawing board - not sure if I can find somewhere suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Keep it high so the cats can't get to it. We have a couple on the shed at about 7 feet high. No cat can get near it. But we also had some black birds and one was attacked one day, not in out garden. The poor fella lost his tail feathers and the use of one of his legs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement