Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP post install, possible vertical sync rate problem

• 22-10-2005 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello, I recently purchased a brand spanking new laptop from dell. Loads of memory, dvd drive, windows xp pro sp2 included. I have a number of older machines floating around my house which run a variety of different os's linux, windows 98 etc. I decided to breathe some new life into a dual boot win 98, debian 2.4 kernel. I scrubbed win 98 and proceeded to boot from the xp disc. Installation went grand, everything was clear as a bell and I had no problems what so ever. Rebooted for the final time before the first log in, windows xp loading screen appeared and then just when you thought it was safe to go for a cup of tea I hear my monitor (its quite old but more than up to the job of displaying xp) kick into what can only be described as overdrive (high frequency whine) and the screen suddenly became unreadable. I could just about make out the log in box for the admin password, but navigation around the GUI is not possible. It really looks like the vertical sync rate is not set right as there are wiggly lines running up and down the screen. My monitor had no problems displaying the installation screens, when I plugged my laptops (running xp) into the monitor the display is fine. I have tested out another machine which runs windows xp pro on this monitor and there are no problems.

My monitor's Horizontal frequency is 30-50KHz continuous
    Vertical frequency is 50-90Hz Continuous

At no point during the xp install were display parameters requested. I cannot log into xp to manually change the params, I have since scrubbed the entire hardrive and tried to install xp by itself, but the same thing happens each time.

The only possible explanation I can think of for this annoying behaviour is that the computer in question is quite old and does not have a genuine article windows xp code sticker thing attached to it. Is this another Microsoft attempt to prevent piracy and by proxy piss off every competent computer user who has the misfortune to be lumbered with their over priced rubbish? :mad: Please anyone who can give me an answer to this please do. I paid good money (sadly) for xp, if microsoft want to stop piracy that's fine but this is ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

I paid good money (sadly) for xp, if microsoft want to stop piracy that's fine but this is ridiculous.

So did you try their tech support if you have a legitimate licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

Actually reading your post again it appears you took the WinXP OEM CD that came with your laptop and tried to install it on another PC. First point is that breach of the licence agreement. The main problem though is that the OEM CD is likely set up so the graphics card driver is pre-configured to match the one in the laptop I'd guess thats causing your problem.

Boot up in safe mode (hold down F8 after powering up the PC) - you should get the basic VGA graphics driver. You'll then need to source an appropriate driver for your desktop PC and make the necessary config change in Device Manager.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The only possible explanation I can think of for this annoying behaviour is that the computer in question is quite old and does not have a genuine article windows xp code sticker thing attached to it. Is this another Microsoft attempt to prevent piracy and by proxy piss off every competent computer user who has the misfortune to be lumbered with their over priced rubbish? :mad: Please anyone who can give me an answer to this please do. I paid good money (sadly) for xp, if microsoft want to stop piracy that's fine but this is ridiculous.
    You need a license for every copy of windows.
    You can't use OEM on any other PC.
    If you upgrade OEM you still can't move it to any other PC.

If the monitor is very old then there is a possibility of overdriving it too.

Warez => Closed - leaving it as a warning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement