Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy Football Bets!

• 22-10-2005 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

A bloke i know who drinks in my local bet around €900 at the start of the season on Wigan to get relagated at the end of this season :D had a pint with him today,needless to say he's not too happy at all :D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

how ecactly is that a crazy bet? At the start of the season they would of been one of the favourites to get relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I wouldn't say betting on Wigan to go down would be a "crazy" bet either, but if you were putting €900 on it you would want to be very confident. Maybe he could win his losses back by putting his mortgage on Chelsea to win the league, ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Id say crazy in the sense of putting that amount of money on them to get relegated,€50 maybe but fuc**n €900:rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

€900 is nothing if you can afford it. And... it's early days yet. Who knows where Wigan will be in 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Wigan were better equiped at the start of the season than most clubs.

i.e they have a suger daddy.

That guy is obviously a ****ing gowl. Who puts that kind of money on a team in all fairness. :p

At least Everton, Birmingham would have gicen you a bit of value.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah that Wigan guy (name escapes me right now, sounds Irish...) is a nutcase. Didn't he make a pregnant employee cry recently or something? Ah yes Dave Whelan, I remember now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

In fairness to the bloke with the bet, I had Wigan down as favourites to go down as well. I think most people would have them in their predicted bottom three pre season. Despite their mini Abramovich and great manager.

Very unlucky on your mate though, must have seemed like he was getting one over on the bookies at the time but there ain't many poor bookies out there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Agreed that 900 is nothing, every betting system is points based, he just went in for wigan at 9 points, be it 9cent/euro or whatever scale it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

jonny68 wrote:
    A bloke i know who drinks in my local bet around €900 at the start of the season on Wigan to get relagated at the end of this season :D had a pint with him today,needless to say he's not too happy at all :D:D:D

Until I see them with 40+ points beside their name I wouldn't call that a crazy bet. We all know they (like all teams outside the Big 4 are going to slump after Xmas).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Pigman II wrote:
    (like all teams outside the Big 4 are going to slump after Xmas).

not sure where you get that from. Teams like aston villa two seasons ago and west brom. they didnt slump!!..and the Big 4 are who? united, arse, chel, and everton..spurs...newcastle...liverpool...charlton?

thinkk wigan have a good chance of top ten...there approach to every game is exccellant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Pigman II wrote:
    Until I see them with 40+ points beside their name I wouldn't call that a crazy bet. We all know they (like all teams outside the Big 4 are going to slump after Xmas).

I can't see Wigan slumping enough to get relegated. They've already acquitted themselves well enough against teams like Villa and Newastle, who are tough opposition.

They've half the points they need to stay up already so I'd see them as safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

sikes wrote:
    not sure where you get that from. Teams like aston villa two seasons ago and west brom. they didnt slump!!..and the Big 4 are who? united, arse, chel, and everton..spurs...newcastle...liverpool...charlton?

thinkk wigan have a good chance of top ten...there approach to every game is exccellant...

A big 3 is generally considered to exist: Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United. I don't know who the 4th could possibly be since there are about 5 teams competing for 4th place.

Serbian wrote:
    A big 3 is generally considered to exist: Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United. I don't know who the 4th could possibly be since there are about 5 teams competing for 4th place.

I'd say Tottenham or Charlton at the minute. People would of once automatically said Liverpool but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Stuck 600 on Chelsea to win today @ 1.45 on betfair

Hopefully that won't be a crazy bet :o

You're a braver man than me, €20 is my limit!

On a different note, my mate put €50 on at 9-1 for Cyprus not to score in the first half against Ireland. A national bookmaker (I don't want to name them) took the bet.

Needless to say, he was thrilled and went back to collect his €500. He was informed by them though that it was a rival national bookmaker running that bet and they could not honour it. They offered him €66.

He has contacted his solicitor. Even if they weren't running that special though, if he has a slip from them and the girl accepted the bet, surely they have to honour it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Lemlin wrote:
    You're a braver man than me, €20 is my limit!

On a different note, my mate put €50 on at 9-1 for Cyprus not to score in the first half against Ireland. A national bookmaker (I don't want to name them) took the bet.

Needless to say, he was thrilled and went back to collect his €500. He was informed by them though that it was a rival national bookmaker running that bet and they could not honour it. They offered him €66.

He has contacted his solicitor. Even if they weren't running that special though, if he has a slip from them and the girl accepted the bet, surely they have to honour it?
    Not a chance. :) They don't have time to go checking up all the odds. You can put some crazy odds on slips without them noticing. €66 is about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Does the slip have "€50 and 9-1 and Cprus not to score 1st half" on it?

If so solicitor will cost about €150 so hes up 350 , they took the bet so have to honour if above is on slip.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

If west ham win today my uncle gets 2k from the soccer pools - and they just scored!!

sjones wrote:
    If west ham win today my uncle gets 2k from the soccer pools - and they just scored!!

They're 2-1 up at the minute.
    Not a chance. They don't have time to go checking up all the odds. You can put some crazy odds on slips without them noticing. €66 is about right.

In my book, a bookies' has to honour any bet they take and by printing the slip she accepted his bet.

If so solicitor will cost about €150 so hes up 350 , they took the bet so have to honour if above is on slip.

kdjac

That's what we thought. I told him go to a paper but most of them told him get a solicitor first and then they'd look into running the story. He's in Glasgow at the Celtic game today so I'll find out any further developments when he's back Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

No way are Wigan going down,id be gobsmacked if they did.Fu*k me the amount of people who are saying €900 is nothing:eek: it's a hell of a lot of money to me;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

That's not true. It's up to the customer to ensure that they have have taken the right price. If the price for this bet was displayed in the shop then the bookmaker would have to pay out.

As someone else said, anyone could slip in a 10/1 on Chelsea to win a particular game. If the shop is really busy staff have no time to check prices. The shop only have to pay out on prices that they were offering at the time.

I also find it highly unlikely that any bookmaker would lay 9/1 on Cyprus not to score in the first half. Sounds like a load of of crap to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lots of punters stayed away from backing Chelsea, hence the higher odds to entice a few in.

Hard Luck mate, had money on a valencia and wigan double myself @ 20/1

:)

That's not true. It's up to the customer to ensure that they have have taken the right price. If the price for this bet was displayed in the shop then the bookmaker would have to pay out.

As someone else said, anyone could slip in a 10/1 on Chelsea to win a particular game. If the shop is really busy staff have no time to check prices. The shop only have to pay out on prices that they were offering at the time.

I also find it highly unlikely that any bookmaker would lay 9/1 on Cyprus not to score in the first half. Sounds like a load of of crap to me.

I thought that myself but even the bookie he placed the bet with told him that another bookies was running that as a special.

I've seen his slip too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

The slip is not in doubt, the offer is.

That's not a special, that's a goldmine. If any bookies were laying that bet half the country would have been on it. Somebody has their wires crossed because I'm 99.9% confident no offical bookmakers were running that special.

Wasn't that bet mentioned on here at the time of the game. Was it you Lemlin?

Advertisement