Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG or Philips

Options
  • 23-10-2005 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currentely in the market for a LCD Tv. The budget is around €1200/€1400. The two system I have focused on would be an LG and Philips. The Philips in Harvey Normans in the new store down in Cork is €1399. The LG in Komplett is €1170 + approx. €13 del charge. The two are both HD. The LG obviously looks like the better deal. Anyone know anything about LG screens? I have got many things from Komplett and never had a problem there the only thing is that I am not that familar with the brand LG. I have always gone Philips before. However I have had problems with my normal CRT 28' in the past i.e sound going and colour marks on screen which when i total up the cost of repaire over the last three years I would get a new TV, so I cant really say I thrust Philips eithier. However, I am bound by my budgetery restraints and the options around this price is fairly limited.

Any advice would be welcome.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Apparently LG/Philips are the same company.

Which LG model are you looking at? I was going to get the RZ32LZ50 until i read it had terrible ghosting. The 32LX2R seems highly recommended but is very hard to find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

yes thats the model on Komplett., the 32" LCD-TV RZ-32LZ50 that is, After hearing that it has terrible ghosting im very dissapointed , thought i found a deal, i might opt for the philips at harveys. Actually there is a Hyundai ImageQuest 32" LCD-TV HQL320WR, 16:9, 1366x768, PIP for around same price as Lg on Komplett, it too is HD ready. I ll see e if i can get any info on that!

It is very hard to find independant review sites, anyone know of any?

Cheers for the advice!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

The forums at www.avforums.com are probably THE best source for independant reviews :)

Thanks GS

much appreciated!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

ice27 - you have the been given best advice by gs39t as avforums is great for info.

wish you all the best with your purchase, but would recommend other sites to buy, there are bargains out there for all. Use your money wisely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Awesomo

I just bought the Philips one at the weekend.
    Up the road from Harvey Normans, in JJ Dwyers on Forge Hill.
    Its a lovely telly, very pleased with it.

One thing - standard wall brackets will not fit it. The one they sold me in JJ Dwyers wouldn't do.
    Spent the whole weekend looking for one that would fit. The other Philips shops in town (O'Mahoneys and Fitzgeralds) had nothing. In the whole of the city, only Harvey Norman had the right one.

Maxwell wrote:
    ice27 - you have the been given best advice by gs39t as avforums is great for info.

wish you all the best with your purchase, but would recommend other sites to buy, there are bargains out there for all. Use your money wisely.

Cheers Maxwell,

Was looking at your post the other day and was spending a lot of time on the katronics site (www.katronics.de) at the weekend. Good bargins! I have no problems buying online, find it easier. I estimated a saving of about €120. That was for the Philips 32PF5320 model (€1199 +delivery - €80). It is €1399 in Harvey Normans although the sales guy said he knock another few quid off, i reckon €20-30 if lucky. You say you were waiting around 4 days delivery, thats good going. However, the site wasnt the most user friendly , couldnt get english on the description fields a lot of the time, but that was only a very small gripe , you could nearly second guess it anyway!

Thanks for the advice awesomo, if you dont mind me asking , was it much cheaper for the Tv in Dwyers(www.dwyers.ie) then Harveys? did they take anything off the list/website price. I already checked their website and it does say €1350 which is cheaper then Harvey Normans list price. Will they also deliver or will it fit in the old gluaistean. However it is still nearly a saving of €70 if you go with Katronics. Nevertheless, I wonder if Dwyers would take a few quid off. For a difference of €50 might be better to stay local.

Cheers for all the advice:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Awesomo

I got a few quid off, nothing major. I think around 20. But we were buying some other stuff as well. Still, it can't hurt to ask.

The box was very big. I don't know if they deliver.
    I had to fold down the back seats, and pushed it in from the boot. But I reckon it would fit in upright, if you put in the back between the front and back seats.

BTW: It comes with loads of connectors, including one for taking your PC monitor output as a DVI/HD input. (I think DVI and HD are the same input, forgive me if I got the tech details wrong)

Advertisement