Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nighwish singer kicked out of band!

Options
  • 23-10-2005 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

This is an open letter taken from their official site

http://www.nightwish.com/

Dear Tarja,

It`s time to choose whether the story of Nightwish ends here or whether it will still continue an undetermined period of time. We`ve been working with this creation for 9 years and we are not ready to give up yet. Nightwish is a way of life, something to live for, and we`re certain we can`t let it go.

Equally certain is the fact that we cannot go on with you and Marcelo any longer. During the last year something sad happened, which I`ve been going over in my head every single day, morning and night. Your attitude and behavior don`t go with Nightwish anymore. There are characteristics I would never have believed to see in my old dear friend.
    People who don`t talk with each other for a year do not belong in the same band.

We are involved in an industry where the business-side of things is a necessary evil and something to worry about all the time. We are also a band which has always done music from the heart, because of friendship and the music itself. The mental satisfaction should always be more important than money! Nightwish is a band, it`s an emotion.
    To you, unfortunately, business, money, and things that have nothing to do with those emotions have become much more important. You feel that you have sacrificed yourself and your musical career for Nightwish, rather than thinking what it has given to you.
    This attitude was clearly shown to me in the two things you said to me in an airplane in Toronto: ”I don`t need Nightwish anymore.” and ”Remember, Tuomas, that I could leave this band at any time, giving you only one day`s warning in advance”.
    I can`t simply write any more songs for you to sing.

You have said yourself that you are merely a ”guest musician” in Nightwish. Now that visit ends and we will continue Nightwish with a new female vocalist.
    We`re sure this is an equally big relief to you as it is for us. We have all been feeling bad long enough.

You told us that no matter what, the next Nightwish album will be your last one. However, the rest of us want to continue as long as the fire burns. So there`s no sense in doing that next album with you, either.
    The four of us have been going over this situation countless times and we have realized that this is the thing we want to do in life. It´s all we can do. In December 2004, in Germany, you said that you will never tour again for more than two weeks at a time. You also said that we can forget about U.S. and Australia because the fees and the sizes of venues are too small.

In interviews I`ve mentioned that if Tarja leaves, that would be the end of the band. I understand that people will think this way. Nightwish is, however, a scenery of my soul and I`m not ready to let go because of one person. A person who wants to focus her creativity to somewhere else, a person whose values don`t match mine.

We were never bothered by the fact that you didn`t participate in writing/arranging songs, you never in 9 years came to rehearse the songs with us before going to the studio. Not the fact that while on tour you always wanted to fly, separately from us with your husband. Not the fact that you are an undisputable front image of the band.
    We accepted and felt ok about everything except greed, underestimating the fans, and breaking promises. It was agreed by the five of us that Nightwish would be the priority in everything that we do during 2004-2005. Still so many things were more important to you. The ultimate example being the already sold-out show in Oslo, which you wanted to cancel because you needed to rehearse for your solo concerts, meet frieds and go to the movies. Those were the words Marcelo used in an e-mail explaining the cancellation. This being just one example of so many. I couldn`t think of a worse way of being selfish and dismissing our fans.

Nightwish is a way of life and a job with many obligations. To each other and to the fans. With you we can`t take care of those duties anymore.

Deep within we don`t know which one of you drove us to this point. Somehow Marcelo has changed you from the lovely girl you were into a diva, who doesn`t think or act the way she used to. You are too sure of your irreplaceableness and status.

It`s obvious that you blame your stress and misery on us four. And you think we don`t respect or listen to you. Belive us; We have always had the uppermost respect towards you as a wonderful vocalist and as a friend. And very often during the past couple of years the plans were made according to your decisions only. You were always the only one who wanted more money from the shows.
    This ”compensation and more money from everything” –attitude is the fact that we are most disappointed of!

We wish that from now on you will listen to your heart instead of Marcelo. Cultural differences combined with greed, opportunism and love is a dangerous combination. Do not wither yourself.

This decision is not something we are especially proud of but you gave us no choice. The gap between us is too wide. And the decision is made by us four unanimously. We are beyond the point where things could be settled by talking.

All the best for your life and career,

Tuomas

Emppu Jukka Marco

Ps. This is an open letter for everybody

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Heh, first thing that came into my head was that girl "Nightwish" from here will be crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

After reading how much of a bitch she was, I looking forward to a new vocalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If she's disrupting the harmony within the band and having a detrimental effect on everything, especially the music and their friendships, then it's 100% the correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Heh, first thing that came into my head was that girl "Nightwish" from here will be crushed.
    lol

all the fans in the nightwish thread'll be gutted. and by "fans" i mean ooglers of pics

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

all I can say is :/
    now to break this to other fans....namely one or two I can think of....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Glad to see that - I like Nightwish songs, but she's a dreadful singer live - totally off key all the time. One of the reasons I never really got into them. Hope whoever they get to take her place is able to hold a note a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

No I'm not crushed. I'm just very happy to have seen them live, with Tarja. As shes an amazing singer. Its all her husbands fault. He's a control freak who believes that Tarja is better than the band. Anyway, I'm glad its not the end of the band

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Oral Slang wrote:
    Glad to see that - I like Nightwish songs, but she's a dreadful singer live - totally off key all the time. One of the reasons I never really got into them.

Aye - this is what many people have told me.

Replacing her's going to be a challenge though - how many hot operatic maidens willing to join a metal band are there out there? Not many I wouldn't think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kerplunk

lol - who the f*ck are Nightwish, and why would anyone besides their 8 fans give a sh*t?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Kerplunk wrote:
    lol - who the f*ck are Nightwish, and why would anyone besides their 8 fans give a sh*t?

i'm sure less than 8 people care about your opinion :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kerplunk

mp3guy wrote:
    i'm sure less than 8 people care about your opinion :rolleyes:
    I'm sure less than 8 people have probably clicked on those crap links in your sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Cop the **** on, Kerplunk. Consider yourself warned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

From the letter she sounds like a bit of bitch-face. They will be better off without her, if they can get someone else that is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I thought she was a great singer when I saw them live. Can imagine her being a bit of a diva though; she's well aware of her high status. If she's disrupting the nature of the band, then I totally agree with their decision, but I wouldn't want the job of finding a replacement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Never really liked the whole nightwish singing style but the band aren't half bad.
    I seen clips of them live and i wasn't really impressed with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Well I'm pretty bummed to be fair. That's really f*cking ruined my weekend!
    I should of took the opportunity to lamp her husband while I had the chance, now that I know that the rest of the band wouldn't of cared. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PAINLESS

jptk wrote:
    From the letter she sounds like a bit of bitch-face. They will be better off without her, if they can get someone else that is

shes not, the industry and her idiot husband have both poisoned her.. made her arrogant and greedy esp marcelo the twat hes been forcing the idea that shes too good for the band into her head he wants her to himself .. itll be sad if she does leave but then shell be doin what she really wants to do and thats sing classical and best of luck to her.
    as for nightwish tarja was only a fifth of the experience regardless of her power and grace (and smokin hotness) and the band will remain as good as.
    Like most people im glad to have had the chance to have seen them live with tarja but ill still go n see them with the new girl. hopefully she'll fit well with tuomas' vision..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

Hey, look on the bright-side kids... Now that see's out of the band she's free to start another band which could be excellent. And Nightwish will get another great vocalist while still playing the same quality of music.

Look at what happened when Dave Mustaine was kicked out of Metallica: Instead of one great band, two great bands developed... Okay, that's just one example, and Dave Mustaine has a lot more natural talent than Tarja (IMO) but I think it will be interesting to hear what Tarja comes out with.

silenoz wrote:
    but I think it will be interesting to hear what Tarja comes out with.
    Tarja's husband manages her solo career. She sings classical music in churches and the like.

Tarja has written a letter to the 'Tarja Turunen Fan' website outlining her feelings on her former bandmates decision to fire her. While not an official statement, the former frontwoman had the following to say:

I don't have words to express my feelings at the moment. I am devastated. This thing happened in a way that I didn't have a slight chance to give my opinion about it. I got fired out of a band that represents the last 9 years of my life and I am very sad about it. It has been very cruel the way the band handled this in public. This doesn't change the fact that we were doing amazing music together, but I will never forget the fact that they didn't give me the chance to say good bye for the people as a Nightwish singer.

Also:

Speaking to Finnish broadcaster YLE, Tarja has stated that she will be holding a press conference in November to give her side of the story on her departure from Nightwish. She also told the network "I'm really upset. The way in which this was brought up publicly is cruel and sad. It wasn't enough that the letter talked about me, but the way in which my husband was also dragged into it is shocking.

• Advertisement

well her husband has always come across as on overbearing ar$ehole. If anyone read the interview in Kerrang a few weeks ago, it was clear that the band were in trouble. Tarja didnt speak to any of the other band members and her husband quickly whisked her away from the photoshoot, where the rest of the band were. He also didnt even look at the journalist when he was being interviewed. When asked about his constant presence at Tarja's side for everything, he said "a guitar needs someone to tune it, I'm that person"

I'll give her all the tuning she needs.
    Giggedy Giggedy, Alrriiiiiight!

Wooh! The lady tells us more. Not much though.
    http://www.tarjaturunen.com/en/tarjaletter.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

On a slightly different note, ive got mixed opinions of her hotness. In half her pictures, she looks sweet, but in the other half, she looks... dare i say it... slightly mannish.

Back on topic; Poor Nightwish, husband is to blame, etc, etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

On a slightly different note, ive got mixed opinions of her hotness. In half her pictures, she looks sweet, but in the other half, she looks... dare i say it... slightly mannish.

Back on topic; Poor Nightwish, husband is to blame, etc, etc
    I agree with everything expressed within.

I've noticed it's usually the photographs where her face is head on, hair tied back and no smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Ah bollox I just got into Nightwish, It seem's any band I like either dissapears or splits. It's a shame about Tarja she was an ****ing deadly singer but if she was messing up their music it was for the best we wouldn't wan't them to go the same way as creed and split now would we. Problem is finding someone who can sing oprea and likes metal and looks as stuning as Tarja did. (wouldn't like that job)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

mc nuggets wrote:
    , It seem's any band I like either dissapears or splits

have you ever listened to westlife.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

have you ever listened to westlife.....
    No it only happens to good bands, and bands I like. If it worked on ****e bands i'd listen to them then

• Advertisement

I think he meant you should get into them and like them dammit so they will split up.

Advertisement