Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol cheaper than deisel - happy days.

Options
  • 23-10-2005 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Travelling to work this morning in Dundalk

Noticed petrol was 110 deisel 113.

Happy Days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

108.9 for both in Tesco Finglas last night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

kluivert wrote:
    Travelling to work this morning in Dundalk

Noticed petrol was 110 deisel 113.

Happy Days

Most stuff in Ireland is shipped by road needing diesel, would prefer diesel to be much cheaper as if you use it or not you'll end up paying for it anyway in inflated goods prices.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

kluivert wrote:
    Petrol cheaper than deisel - happy days.
    Cheap is not a word I like to associate with either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nice to see prices falling back a bit, unleaded @ 107.9 at Tesco this morning.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

diesel's the most expensive now than its ever been, i'm not happy at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Still 114.9c in most garages here in kilkenny for petrol :rolleyes:
    One of them is still at 119, one of the robbing bastards out in the countryside is charging 125c/litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Stephen wrote:
    Still 114.9c in most garages here in kilkenny for petrol :rolleyes:
    One of them is still at 119, one of the robbing bastards out in the countryside is charging 125c/litre.
    Ah Mr Campus in Ballyragget. :mad:

I met the white caps (customs) dipping on the N10 outside Kilkenny near the Rugby club on Friday morning. Big incentive atm to use the green and the Govt now is realising this fact.

On a happier note I got my fuel card on Friday which allows me to buy at wholesale prices from Statoil regardless of pump price. Happy days. :)

Bond-007 wrote:
    Ah Mr Campus in Ballyragget. :mad:

That guy is in danger of becoming famous! There used to be another retailer about 2 stones throw away - I guess they could'nt match his keen pricing!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    That guy is in danger of becoming famous! There used to be another retailer about 2 stones throw away - I guess they could'nt match his keen pricing!

Mike.
    His nearest competitor is the Emo garage in Ballyragget Village which is at 118.9 which is still outrageous imho. The scary thing is that people buy petrol from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

There robbing bastards the lot of them. petrol + diesel should be capped by the government. We all seen how quick the petrol stations were to RIP US OFF as soon as the general hike arrived. They way over did it.

And the government are no better. I see now, all the JCB Fasttrax`s are going to be forced to run on white diesel soon now too. For anyone that doesnt know what a fasttrax is, its a tractor like vehicle but is capable of doing 40-50mph on the road. A few farmers have them, but mostly its digger contractors that have them for drawing trailers. Anyway, they are classed as agrigultural vehicles so could/are being ran on green diesel legally,,,, but the government want to change the law to have them have to use white(road) diesel like trucks do.

So as you imagine, a lot of contractors wont bother with them once they have to be run on white diesel, and they`ll just buy tractors that run on green diesel. So this means them nice fast Fastrax`s will be replaced on the roads with more slow tractors adding to more slow moving traffic and more over taking on.(you could easily deive behind a fasttrax without dying to overtake it unlike a normal tractor)

The government are only interested in money, as if they dont get enough tax off petrol/diesel as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Nuttzy wrote:
    There robbing bastards the lot of them. petrol + diesel should be capped by the government. We all seen how quick the petrol stations were to RIP US OFF as soon as the general hike arrived. They way over did it.
    NO. Goverment intervention in the market place is damaging and should be used sparsely.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    And the government are no better. I see now, all the JCB Fasttrax`s are going to be forced to run on white diesel soon now too. For anyone that doesnt know what a fasttrax is, its a tractor like vehicle but is capable of doing 40-50mph on the road. A few farmers have them, but mostly its digger contractors that have them for drawing trailers. Anyway, they are classed as agrigultural vehicles so could/are being ran on green diesel legally,,,, but the government want to change the law to have them have to use white(road) diesel like trucks do.

So as you imagine, a lot of contractors wont bother with them once they have to be run on white diesel, and they`ll just buy tractors that run on green diesel. So this means them nice fast Fastrax`s will be replaced on the roads with more slow tractors adding to more slow moving traffic and more over taking on.(you could easily deive behind a fasttrax without dying to overtake it unlike a normal tractor)
    See what I mean? :)
    Nuttzy wrote:
    The government are only interested in money, as if they dont get enough tax off petrol/diesel as it is.
    Ireland has pretty low/average tax rates on fuel. It would be good for us to increase them; the UK has the lowest dependence on oil in the EU and was therefore in a better position to absorb the oil shock increases and that's because they have the highest taxes on it. Oil is like cigarettes and alcohol, a bad habit that should be broken or limited. I don't see why the West's balls should be in the hands of a bunch of camel herders and Russians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Was stopped at a traffic light and examining the signa on the 2 stations I could see.
    Gas (petrol) $2.85 to $3.05/USgal, Diesel $3.30/USG.

AMurphy wrote:
    Was stopped at a traffic light and examining the signa on the 2 stations I could see.
    $2.85 a gallon is still cheap. I am heading off out on my holidays next month so cheap driving is on the way.

BTW what is the differences between all the different types of petrol available at US pumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

AMurphy wrote:

anyone know what that is in per litre/euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well, 1USg is 3.785412 Litres.

So if $2.95 (avg price) is currently equal to €2.46, then

3.79 Litres is €2.46
    Approx €0.65 Per Litre :eek:

(Open to correction though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

To be fair, in percentage terms the recent increases here have been far less than the increase over in the States. I remember paying slightly over a dollar per gallon in Florida in 2003. They've gone from dirt cheap to what we were paying before and we've gone from paying that to paying more than that. So their retail price has tripled while ours hasn't even gone up 100%.

Bond-007 wrote:
    $2.85 a gallon is still cheap. I am heading off out on my holidays next month so cheap driving is on the way.

BTW what is the differences between all the different types of petrol available at US pumps?

There are only 3 grades, 85/87, 92 and 97.
    None as far as I'm concerned. However, many of the EU cars, BMW, MB, etc require the High Octane, (97). Low being 85 or 87, and there is a midrange blend.
    I have used the cheapest ever and always. eg, ARCO is a BP company anyway.

However, there are something like 26 different blends in the US if you take into account the additives, eg, M85, MTBE, Tecron, Oxyginated, etc.

Where u headed and what u b drivin?. (hint, avoid Florida right now.)

Where u headed and what u b drivin?. (hint, avoid Florida right now.)

I am off driving in California, Nevada and Arizona. I have booked a Hyundai Accent for my 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Absolutely unreal the price of diesel!!!
    The price has plummeted some places are dearer for diesel than unleaded!!!

Shop around for better prices!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

At least diesel lasts longer than petrol.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    I am off driving in California, Nevada and Arizona. I have booked a Hyundai Accent for my 2 weeks.

Well, it's been pretty dry up till now, so leave the rain unpacked, I don't want it and you don't need it here either. Moderate temps by day, cool by night.

No idea how the Hyundai is equipped. 4-cyl-1.6L in all of them.... how many of you?. Not sure how it would behave in the Sierras, (7000ft el.) between here and Navada, .....might find the 18 wheelers passing you out.
    Anyways, best o'luck.

AMurphy wrote:
    Well, it's been pretty dry up till now, so leave the rain unpacked, I don't want it and you don't need it here either. Moderate temps by day, cool by night.

No idea how the Hyundai is equipped. 4-cyl-1.6L in all of them.... how many of you?. Not sure how it would behave in the Sierras, (7000ft el.) between here and Navada, .....might find the 18 wheelers passing you out.
    Anyways, best o'luck.
    Thanks for your help and advice. :)

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Haulliers should be allowed some sort of allowance on their Diesel consumption which would in turn reduce their costs which would then reduce the cost of so many other businesses. IMHO, Diesel and Insurance are 2 of the biggest contributors to Rip Off Ireland because they affect everyone either directly or indirectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I use this site - I'm sure you've all seen it before?

'c

A somehat less impressive site http://www.petrolgauge.com/country.asp?country=Ireland

You know what would be handy? A site that also listed the most expensive fuel.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

mike65 wrote:
    You know what would be handy? A site that also listed the most expensive fuel.
    And you would want this why? Apart from driving by and sucking air noisily through your teeth...

'c

Bond-007 wrote:
    Thanks for your help and advice. :)

Scratch that, it's changed to overcast and drizzling at present.

Here, this may be of use to you in locating the cheapest gas;

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src=Netx

to find your ZIP code, just ask the restaraunt you just ate in.

Budget (I think) offer a 1.8 Nissan Primera which is quiet nippy I have found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I thought marked fuel oil was history. Or soon to be.

• Advertisement

AMurphy wrote:
    Here, this may be of use to you in locating the cheapest gas;

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src=Netx

to find your ZIP code, just ask the restaraunt you just ate in.

Budget (I think) offer a 1.8 Nissan Primera which is quiet nippy I have found.
    The Mrs was asking what the weather is doing atm? Is it very hot in your neck of the woods? What is the avg day and night temp?

Advertisement