Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creating an Irish wrestling website

• 23-10-2005 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Hi I was just wondering if any of you have ever considered setting up a wrestling site specifically for Irish fans. I've often considered the idea but 1. setting up and actually constructing websites is somthing I know very little about and 2. I just would n't have the time to put together the kind of comprehensive site I'd like to on my own.

This is just my basic idea of how it could be done. You could have news interviews and commentary pieces on WWE, TNA and maybe UFC aswell. With that you could have news, results and maybe interviews for different promotions running in Ireland.
    Anyway I've put all of 5 minutes thought into this but if a large enough people were interested and commited I think it could be good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There already is an independant Irish wrestling site, the dirt sheet, which isnt very good. Its not updated after its big launch recently.

If you do set something up, try and not fall foul of any of the promotions here, itll make your life too difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

To be honest this was just an idea I've chucked out to see if a good few people would be interested. I guess my theory was that alot of people spend a good bit of time making arguments and putting points accross on here and I believe that if you had a group of people from here who as a hobby put in each a little bit of time we could have a dam good website.

I definately would n't want to put myself up as the leader for a whole host of reasons. Anyway I get the impression there wont be much interest so the next time I have an idea I'll consider keeping it to myself this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kerplunk

gimmick wrote:
    There already is an independant Irish wrestling site, the dirt sheet, which isnt very good. Its not updated after its big launch recently.

If you do set something up, try and not fall foul of any of the promotions here, itll make your life too difficult.
    The Dirt Sheet is sh*t. The mark who runs it just replies to himself under multiple accounts and never updates it. He's also biased to CPW. You can actually hear the tumbleweed when you surf the dirt sheet site, coz it gets so little hits! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

Kerplunk wrote:
    The Dirt Sheet is sh*t. The mark who runs it just replies to himself under multiple accounts and never updates it. He's also biased to CPW. You can actually hear the tumbleweed when you surf the dirt sheet site, coz it gets so little hits! lol

Always nice to meet a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

to be honest any website set up for Irish fans is already way behind as there are millions of wrestling websites out there that cover WWE, UFC, etc, etc

The idea behind an Irish site would be to offer something unique to Irish wrestling fan, such as detailing Irish federations - however since IWW, NWA and CPW each have their own website - that point is also redundant.

• Advertisement

Ph3n0m wrote:
    to be honest any website set up for Irish fans is already way behind as there are millions of wrestling websites out there that cover WWE, UFC, etc, etc

The idea behind an Irish site would be to offer something unique to Irish wrestling fan, such as detailing Irish federations - however since IWW, NWA and CPW each have their own website - that point is also redundant.

Not quite. I'll admit my site is not even 1/4 of what I wanted to do with it but I'd like to encourage others to try it. You say the idea is redundant because IwW, NWA and CPW as well as UCW all have their own website but what you fail to mention is none of these sites tell things exactly how they are or even acknowledge the other promotions. They will always put a spin on whatever story comes up to make themselves sound rosey and since they don't acknowledge each other there is always middle ground stories to pick up on, the first version of my site last year was better at illustrating that then the current version. What you are saying is like saying PWInsider.com shouldn't exist because WWE and TNA both have their own websites anyway as will the majority of indy promotions. I'd definitely encourage others at having a go or even contribute to mine but one thing I would advise is that they don't get into it expecting to make friends and always give an honest opinion because if you are just there to kiss ass for free tickets then your opinion is worth ****. Just to give you an idea, I've had death threats, legal threats, abuse of my image, banning from the IwW and TWC websites and numerous call outs for fights and that is just from giving an honest opinion through 2 different variations of the TDS website so it is definitely not a hobby for those wanting to make friends in the wrestling industry but I do hope more people try and spread the word through whatever means they can be it through a website or otherwise.

One site I'd recommend is http://homepage.eircom.net/~kmcmahon/ It's run by Kenneth McMahon and is an excellent resource into Irish wrestling history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

You completely missed my point Cannibal - my point is that there is no room for what Vince135792003 was proposing which was a WWE, etc type news site for Irish fans - when there already tons of insider wrestling websites such as wrestlingobserver.com, pwinsider.com, etc, etc

Kenneth McMahon's site is unique in that it details Ireland's (limited) wrestling history but he also presents the cards from visiting organisations such as WIN, WWA and WWF

As for the organisations recognising each other, you obviously had some bad dealings with TWC and IWW, but NWA Ireland's website has often recognised IWW, in fact several of their stars have appeared at IWW events and vice versa.

The idea of an "insider" Irish wrestling site is redudant because any organisation is still in its fledgling stages - compared to other wrestling orgs in the UK, Europe, etc.

Trading opinions on organisations wouldnt be anything new for Irish wrestling fans, so I wouldnt see any long term appeal

Also as a side note - Cannibal next time you are doing results for the shows for NWA, IWW, and you take them from their respective websites - a simple credit would be nice - you're NWA results are word for word from the official site. You want to be treated as a professional, do the professional thing - and before I get blasted for it, I used to write for smashwrestling.com - and any site you use content from always appreciates a "credit" link/indicator

Ph3n0m wrote:
    You completely missed my point Cannibal - my point is that there is no room for what Vince135792003 was proposing which was a WWE, etc type news site for Irish fans - when there already tons of insider wrestling websites such as wrestlingobserver.com, pwinsider.com, etc, etc

Kenneth McMahon's site is unique in that it details Ireland's (limited) wrestling history but he also presents the cards from visiting organisations such as WIN, WWA and WWF

As for the organisations recognising each other, you obviously had some bad dealings with TWC and IWW, but NWA Ireland's website has often recognised IWW, in fact several of their stars have appeared at IWW events and vice versa.

The idea of an "insider" Irish wrestling site is redudant because any organisation is still in its fledgling stages - compared to other wrestling orgs in the UK, Europe, etc.

Trading opinions on organisations wouldnt be anything new for Irish wrestling fans, so I wouldnt see any long term appeal

Also as a side note - Cannibal next time you are doing results for the shows for NWA, IWW, and you take them from their respective websites - a simple credit would be nice - you're NWA results are word for word from the official site. You want to be treated as a professional, do the professional thing - and before I get blasted for it, I used to write for smashwrestling.com - and any site you use content from always appreciates a "credit" link/indicator

If he was refering to a WWE based site then I apologise as I did miss the point then.

Yes, NWA and IwW have worked together and it was essential for the cross promotional angle that they ran that they mentioned each other on their sites but I'm talking about in general. Now that the NWA Vs IwW feud looks done and dusted with no clear winner on either side it would be my bet that both companies will avoid mentioning each other and focus on their own product and fan base. I doubt you will see the results to the next Gym Wars on the NWA page.

The word "insider" is a broad term that can be used to describe any wrestling website on the internet that isn't kayfabed. Even in it's fledgling statuas there is still plenty of room for news, review and opinion. We have IwW who have a weekly TV show, we have TWC based in Howth, we have CPW, NWA and UCW doing their best to run monthly shows, right there you could have 7 or more show reviews a month. Then on top of that you will have all the other shenanigans to cover such as breaking news stories, WWE trips as well as articles and special features and all that right there gives you enough to work with.

As for the lasting appeal of such a website, well that would depend on the lasting appeal of Irish wrestling. If Irish wrestling attracts more fans then such a website would too. In it's current state such a site would be a novelty but it would have the potential for more in the future.

As for the credit thing, that's just nitpicking and has nothing to do with the post. The site is based around just 4 promotions that all have a small fan base and pretty much anyone reading the site will have found it through another Irish wrestling site, my readership will mainly be guys who come from reading nwaireland.com or another related site but since it seems to bother I will make note of it. I also don't know why anyone even bothers comparing my site with professional sites, have you looked at it? I'm the only writer, the design is a 5 minute half assed job and in my radio show I swear and rant like a lunatic, it's a glorified hobby site and I'm sure NWA don't care enough to be put out by the 2 hits that a credit would give them from a fan who has probably already hit the site previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Ph3n0m wrote:

Man where have you been I 've been making redundant points for like 10 months now and your only picking up on them now!
    My point was very vague and it was this. People on here spend alot of time on here making points, discussing things and having generally good debates. I thought (and it looks wrongly) that if people were interested a website would be a pretty cool idea. The theme or raison d'etre (I had a french revolution essay to do so apologies for the french) is somthing that I'd be open minded about. I agree there are a whole load of news sites. It could be strcitly a commentray website with articles on gerneral wrestling, UFC, classic ppvs, reviews on books being relaeased, dvds being released that lets Irish wrestling fans throw their hand at writing. Then again you could come back and say hell is nt that whats a forum for and thats a very fair point. But thats just one idea.

Anyway I just threw the idea out and people seem to be bashing rightly or wronglyanother guys attempt. I would n't rate the site either but its alot easier to sit back and criticise than it is to actually have a go.

Advertisement